AKG K361/K371
Nov 24, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #573 of 1,293
Thanks

How many hours of burn-in are required?

None. You might need some time to get used to the sound signature if its very unlike what you're accustomed to though. Not that the K-371 sounds unnatural, but if we listen to one specific signature for a long time, everything else sounds a bit off at first.

Nov 25, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #574 of 1,293
I was actually tempted to go for the sheepskin ones, but decided on PU leather so as to match material with that of the stock ones. From what I've read the outer material (with all else remaining equal) can alter the sound and I'm wondering what difference might be expected between the PU and sheepskin. I'm enjoying the bass quantity and depth right now, so wouldn't want to lose any of that.

The main reason for choosing sheepskin for me was comfort, so if PU leather works for you comfort + sound-wise, that's great! It's cheaper and available in difference colors. I don't notice any appreciable differences in sound between sheepskin and PU. Going with suede or velour would probably not be a good idea for the K371 though, as that would increase breathability and air flow, which may effect the seal and bass (just a hunch).

BTW, are most people here using the coiled or straight cable included? Is anyone else annoyed by the weight of the coiled cable, which rubs annoyingly against the left shoulder and increases microphonics?

Nov 25, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #575 of 1,293
Can anyone make a comparison between K371 and iems on the same price range on technicalities, soundstage, details etc. ?

I think K371 have a distinct advantage in terms of soundstage and rumbling bass over IEMs (even at higher price range). For technicalities and details, it really depends on the IEM that you want to compare with, but IEMs do tend to out-perform headphones in detail and resolution at the same price point (in my experience anyway).

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #576 of 1,293
^Agreed.
IEMs, at least for me, are always a compromise for when I need something for travelling/long journeys. Closedback headphones are also a compromise to me...for when my surroundings are too loud for me to appreciate the ones I really want to listen to: openbacks:)

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #578 of 1,293
Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #579 of 1,293
At first I wanted to say yes, but a quick check with Thomann showed that its even lower right now:
https://www.thomann.de/at/akg_k_371.htm
This is nice. Thank you, but I forgot to write that I am from Slovenia and with postage it is then 135€.
In Slovenia, with postage and additional insurance, it is 125€.
But I don't know how these headphones will work with the LG V40. So far, I only have that.

regards,
Simon

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #580 of 1,293
This is nice. Thank you, but I forgot to write that I am from Slovenia and with postage it is then 135€.
In Slovenia, with postage and additional insurance, it is 125€.
But I don't know how these headphones will work with the LG V40. So far, I only have that.

regards,
Simon

Sorry, I did not know your location (you can even set that in your profile if you want to). Thomann does ship to Austria without extra costs for orders above 100,- I think, but I did not check for rates applying to Slovenia.
Overall I'd recommend buying local, especially now that many smaller businesses are feeling pressure due to lockdowns etc. Plus in your case its even cheaper...

Isn't the V40 one of the LG models that emphasize music playback by integrating a good DAC and a rather powerful amp? The K371 is quite easy to drive, so I think you'd be fine.

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #581 of 1,293
I have a problem with these headphones. The foam material for some reason makes me hear my heartbeat. This does not happen with my Sony MDR7510. Both are closed back headphones, so I think the difference is mostly the material of the earpads. The squishy foam of the AKG may be creating some sort of mega enclosure that creates this phenomena. I want to see what happens if I can replace the default earpads with a membrane style earpads like the MDR7510 or perhaps a velour pads would do. Where can I find some that work for the k371?

If nothing works, maybe the clamp on these is stronger than the MDR7510? not sure. I would like to use the MDR7510 more but the cord is way too long, I really like the short k731 cable and if I tried to mod the MDR7510 cable I would break it and I think they are becoming harder to find (can't see them on sale on Thomann anymore)

Nov 27, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #582 of 1,293
Hi, I'm currently trying out a pair of K371 BT.

When I received them I instantly noticed that one of the pads was poorly made (the "wrinkle" that seems to be familiar for these headphones). The other one was very nicely shaped on the other hand. So just for kicks I removed them and low and behold I was VERY surprised to notice that the white tissue material that covers part of the holes for the driver, while present on the left ear cup is absent on the right one :

IMG_0110.jpeg

So my question is quite simple : if you have a pair of the bluetooth version of the K371, have you noticed the same thing ?

BTW the cause for the wrinkles is fairly easy to determine : the good pad has properly aligned parts (the sides of the "hole" is aligned with the other parts), while the wrinkled one is improperly aligned :

IMG_0112.jpeg
IMG_0111.jpeg

Nov 27, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #584 of 1,293
I have a problem with these headphones. The foam material for some reason makes me hear my heartbeat. This does not happen with my Sony MDR7510. Both are closed back headphones, so I think the difference is mostly the material of the earpads. The squishy foam of the AKG may be creating some sort of mega enclosure that creates this phenomena. I want to see what happens if I can replace the default earpads with a membrane style earpads like the MDR7510 or perhaps a velour pads would do. Where can I find some that work for the k371?

If nothing works, maybe the clamp on these is stronger than the MDR7510? not sure. I would like to use the MDR7510 more but the cord is way too long, I really like the short k731 cable and if I tried to mod the MDR7510 cable I would break it and I think they are becoming harder to find (can't see them on sale on Thomann anymore)

If you want to try aftermarket pads, I know that the Brainwavz small oval (currently using) and the regular oval (reported by others here) will fit the k371. Both sizes are available in micro seude which I assume will have similar properties to velour. I am using PU and sheepskin versions only though.

Hi, I'm currently trying out a pair of K371 BT.

When I received them I instantly noticed that one of the pads was poorly made (the "wrinkle" that seems to be familiar for these headphones). The other one was very nicely shaped on the other hand. So just for kicks I removed them and low and behold I was VERY surprised to notice that the white tissue material that covers part of the holes for the driver, while present on the left ear cup is absent on the right one :

IMG_0110.jpeg

So my question is quite simple : if you have a pair of the bluetooth version of the K371, have you noticed the same thing ?

BTW the cause for the wrinkles is fairly easy to determine : the good pad has properly aligned parts (the sides of the "hole" is aligned with the other parts), while the wrinkled one is improperly aligned :

IMG_0112.jpegIMG_0111.jpeg

Hmmm I never noticed the misalignment but I also had the wrinkle issue and when I took off the pads I did observe that the mesh/pleather was not fixed to the foam, which allowed them to rotate and move easily (to my annoyance while wearing). So that should allow for easy realignment of the pads? Sorry, mine is not bluetooth ... but nope, mine didn't have that sticker on one side. That's just plain weird.

Nov 28, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #585 of 1,293
Hmmm I never noticed the misalignment but I also had the wrinkle issue and when I took off the pads I did observe that the mesh/pleather was not fixed to the foam, which allowed them to rotate and move easily (to my annoyance while wearing). So that should allow for easy realignment of the pads?

Noted. On my pad it doesn't really matter however I try to move the foam inside, the wrinkles remain. I think that it's just because the various pleather / plastic and mesh parts weren't properly aligned in the first place.

Sorry, mine is not bluetooth ... but nope, mine didn't have that sticker on one side. That's just plain weird.

Just to be precise : yours have the sticker on both sides or no sticker at all on both sides ?

I've sent a mail to AKG, we'll see what happens.

On a positive note though, one little test among others that I like to do with Bluetooth headphones is play single tones through them, particularly at high frequencies. Most BT headphones I've tried fail this test at higher frequencies and play spurious tones in addition to the main one, regardless of codec or the source (including higher end models like the M3 or Bose 700). Up until now only my AirPods Pro (and I presume all H1 enabled devices at the least) performed flawlessly at this test... and now the K371 :D (at least in AAC, haven't bothered with SBC yet). I'm wondering whether this could be related to the use of specific Bluetooth chips or not (a lot of ANC BT headphones happen to use the same chip from Qualcomm).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back