AKG K361/K371
Nov 20, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #559 of 1,294
Became a fan of Harman products recently. And the K371/361 looks great. Just curious, has anybody ever compared the K371 to K371BT (Bluetooth version) on sound quality, or response curves?

I did have both for some time, but somehow the BT version lost all the magic of the K371 for me, so I've meanwhile sent it back. Have to admit I did not use the BT much (contrary to the cabled version), but that's also because it just did not click with me. I've read comments on the BT where other people seem to feel the same...

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #560 of 1,294
I did have both for some time, but somehow the BT version lost all the magic of the K371 for me, so I've meanwhile sent it back. Have to admit I did not use the BT much (contrary to the cabled version), but that's also because it just did not click with me. I've read comments on the BT where other people seem to feel the same...
Thank you for sharing your experience! Sounds like the cabled version is more popular than the BT version.

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #561 of 1,294
Thank you for sharing your experience! Sounds like the cabled version is more popular than the BT version.

Unfortunately, yes. I was very happy to see the BT version announced, waited patiently for them through several delays... and unfortunately they did not fit my expectations. They also are rather heavy, which, together with the on-the-edge comfort of the cabled version just put it across the line into not-very-comfortable territory for me. Though that is very personal of course.

I still own the cabled version and use it from time to time (still have too many headphones...). It's really good, especially given its price. You might want to try to combine it with a good Bluetooth receiver like the EarStudio ES100 and call it a day.

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #562 of 1,294
Unfortunately, yes. I was very happy to see the BT version announced, waited patiently for them through several delays... and unfortunately they did not fit my expectations. They also are rather heavy, which, together with the on-the-edge comfort of the cabled version just put it across the line into not-very-comfortable territory for me. Though that is very personal of course.

I still own the cabled version and use it from time to time (still have too many headphones...). It's really good, especially given its price. You might want to try to combine it with a good Bluetooth receiver like the EarStudio ES100 and call it a day.
Great advice! I will definitely try the cabled version out if I have an opportunity.

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #564 of 1,294
Hi, I've had a pair of K371's for a couple of weeks now but was initially unimpressed as I couldn't hear the sub-bass that many talk about and they sounded hard/shouty somewhere in the mids. But, I was also finding that the sound improved to some extent if I put some pressure towards the bottom of the cups, as they were not sealing properly, in the area just under my ears. I've never tried 3rd party replacement pads on any of my headphones before, but after some reading I decided to order the Brainwavz oval pads (PU leather), as I thought it worth a try, even though I was sceptical.

Well, I fitted the new pads earlier today and am surprised at just how much difference they have made, almost like trying on a different set of phones. For my tastes, a significant improvement in sound.....I'm hearing plenty of sub-bass, the mids are slightly less forward and the highs seem a little brighter, too...though its the bass and mids that have changed the most. I'm assuming that as I now have a really good seal that this is closer to what the K371's are intended to sound like and like how people with more compatible head shapes are experiencing them with stock pads. I was about to give up on these phones, but now they are one of my favourites

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #565 of 1,294
Hi, I've had a pair of K371's for a couple of weeks now but was initially unimpressed as I couldn't hear the sub-bass that many talk about and they sounded hard/shouty somewhere in the mids. But, I was also finding that the sound improved to some extent if I put some pressure towards the bottom of the cups, as they were not sealing properly, in the area just under my ears. I've never tried 3rd party replacement pads on any of my headphones before, but after some reading I decided to order the Brainwavz oval pads (PU leather), as I thought it worth a try, even though I was sceptical.

Well, I fitted the new pads earlier today and am surprised at just how much difference they have made, almost like trying on a different set of phones. For my tastes, a significant improvement in sound.....I'm hearing plenty of sub-bass, the mids are slightly less forward and the highs seem a little brighter, too...though its the bass and mids that have changed the most. I'm assuming that as I now have a really good seal that this is closer to what the K371's are intended to sound like and like how people with more compatible head shapes are experiencing them with stock pads. I was about to give up on these phones, but now they are one of my favourites

Exactly my findings as well. A proper seal is absolutely crucial in getting the K371 to reach its potential. It definitely sounds like 2 different headphones without it.

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #566 of 1,294
Has anyone had similar experiences with K371?
I will second the recommendation on the K371. I will say this though. I bought mine new. After 3 months, they sounded tinny and boxy. Before, they were very rich and deep. I was thoroughly surprised.
I've experienced a similar thing with my K371s. I don't know if its the actual headphones or my hearing, but there is definitely a difference between the first time and now.

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #567 of 1,294
Exactly my findings as well. A proper seal is absolutely crucial in getting the K371 to reach its potential. It definitely sounds like 2 different headphones without it.
Agree.
I think headphone earpad ergonomic is a critical factor for the listening experience. A pair of earpads that seal well can contain more sound around your ears; and soft material makes comfort wearing experience, especially for long-time-listening.

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #568 of 1,294
Agree.
I think headphone earpad ergonomic is a critical factor for the listening experience. A pair of earpads that seal well can contain more sound around your ears; and soft material makes comfort wearing experience, especially for long-time-listening.

Also in complete agreement. I do find the sheepskin pads to be softer and generally more comfortable during long sessions when compared to PU leather, albeit at a slightly higher price.

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #569 of 1,294
Also in complete agreement. I do find the sheepskin pads to be softer and generally more comfortable during long sessions when compared to PU leather, albeit at a slightly higher price.
I was actually tempted to go for the sheepskin ones, but decided on PU leather so as to match material with that of the stock ones. From what I've read the outer material (with all else remaining equal) can alter the sound and I'm wondering what difference might be expected between the PU and sheepskin. I'm enjoying the bass quantity and depth right now, so wouldn't want to lose any of that.

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #570 of 1,294
I was actually tempted to go for the sheepskin ones, but decided on PU leather so as to match material with that of the stock ones. From what I've read the outer material (with all else remaining equal) can alter the sound and I'm wondering what difference might be expected between the PU and sheepskin. I'm enjoying the bass quantity and depth right now, so wouldn't want to lose any of that.
I would suggest you try out both PU leather and sheepskin models if possible. And let your ears tell you which one to go for.
BTW: If the goal is purely enjoying the music as a side hustle, I would prefer the sheepskin one for comfortable wearing. If the headphone to own is a working component, PU leather model would be a good choice that lowering your cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back