AKG K361/K371
Dec 2, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #601 of 1,294
So my pair will be exchanged by Thomann.de. Even if the replacement is well built I’m not sure that I’ll keep them because the headband design and my anatomy makes the clamping force too low and achieving proper sealing difficult. We’ll see.

This is a bit annoying as I feel that a good copy that fit me well would be a good stop gap as a replacement for my ex-P7 Wireless until someone starts to get serious about SQ in the ANC BT over-ears space (I’ve tried quite a few of the current crop of high-end ANC BT over-ears headphones and found them all quite rubbish and very poorly tuned).

Dec 2, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #603 of 1,294
How do you find the DT 770 250ohm's trebel? I was quite set on 250 ohm version until reading about all the trebel issue and might go with 80 ohms even though that one has straight cable and more unit variance issue.

The treble on the 250 ohm DT-770 is noticeably bright. Mostly above around 5 kHz. Enough that it needs adjustment imo for more critical listening. I'm currently using an EQ extension in my browser to address that, since that's where I do most of my critical listening.

How much you will notice it probably depends on how good your hearing is. My hearing is not so good anymore, particularly in the higher frequencies. So I probably notice it less than someone with good hearing would. It is still obvious enough to me though that I have to compensate for it when listening to music.

I don't mind a little extra treble though, as long as it's well-balanced on the low end. Since I like to listen at somewhat lower volumes, a little Fletcher-Munson is ok with me. So I raise the bass a bit on the DT-770 as well. And also add a bit of a downward tilt from there into the upper mids. So my current EQ curve for the 250 ohm DT-770 looks sort of like a ramp going up from the treble to the lower midrange, and then leveling off in the bass... with two noteworthy exceptions. I raise the area around 3.5 to 4 kHz in the upper mids/low treble, to compensate for the notch in that region. And also raise the area around 200 to 250 Hz in the upper bass to fix another depression there.

This isn't exactly standard operating procedure for the DT-770, based on the corrections shown on AutoEQ. Most of the AutoEQ equalization curves have the midrange fairly flat. And the bass going down (either a little, or alot depending on the graph). But the above seems to work for my ears.

My apologies btw to the K361/K371 folks for goin a bit off the topic with this post. Fwiw, if I was using the K371, I'd more than likely EQ them to better match my preferred sound sig as well. And to add more warmth in the bass.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #604 of 1,294
Hey guys, I'm considering buying the BT version of 361/371(haven't decided which one yet). I'm from India and the cans are dirt cheap here (never seen any pair being cheaper here than the rest of the world). ₹8k(~$105) for both 361BT and 371BT and they go down to about 6.5k and 7k respectively on Amazon during sales.
Do the BT versions sound worse than the wired ones by a significant margin? I would run them wired most of the time but having that mic makes them very daily drivable. Could anyone shed some light?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #605 of 1,294
The treble on the 250 ohm DT-770 is noticeably bright. Mostly above around 5 kHz. Enough that it needs adjustment imo for more critical listening. I'm currently using an EQ extension in my browser to address that, since that's where I do most of my critical listening.

How much you will notice it probably depends on how good your hearing is. My hearing is not so good anymore, particularly in the higher frequencies. So I probably notice it less than someone with good hearing would. It is still obvious enough to me though that I have to compensate for it when listening to music.

I don't mind a little extra treble though, as long as it's well-balanced on the low end. Since I like to listen at somewhat lower volumes, a little Fletcher-Munson is ok with me. So I raise the bass a bit on the DT-770 as well. And also add a bit of a downward tilt from there into the upper mids. So my current EQ curve for the 250 ohm DT-770 looks sort of like a ramp going up from the treble to the lower midrange, and then leveling off in the bass... with two noteworthy exceptions. I raise the area around 3.5 to 4 kHz in the upper mids/low treble, to compensate for the notch in that region. And also raise the area around 200 to 250 Hz in the upper bass to fix another depression there.

This isn't exactly standard operating procedure for the DT-770, based on the corrections shown on AutoEQ. Most of the AutoEQ equalization curves have the midrange fairly flat. And the bass going down (either a little, or alot depending on the graph). But the above seems to work for my ears.

My apologies btw to the K361/K371 folks for goin a bit off the topic with this post. Fwiw, if I was using the K371, I'd more than likely EQ them to better match my preferred sound sig as well. And to add more warmth in the bass.
Something I notice with Beyer treble is that it doen't seem to be as piercing as one would expect from measurements. It's forward for sure, but not as concentrated or dense of a piercing. But, choo type sibilance is easily present which gets annoying. In certain cases, not so bad or not much, which I suspect is FR variance among DT770. And I believe the 770 is the more balanced and easier treble of the Beyer lineup. Which is why I can recommend 770 to try out. I don't like all the others. I recently really disliked DT880. Their responses are generally wonky for my taste.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #606 of 1,294
Hey guys, I'm considering buying the BT version of 361/371(haven't decided which one yet). I'm from India and the cans are dirt cheap here (never seen any pair being cheaper here than the rest of the world). ₹8k(~$105) for both 361BT and 371BT and they go down to about 6.5k and 7k respectively on Amazon during sales.
Do the BT versions sound worse than the wired ones by a significant margin? I would run them wired most of the time but having that mic makes them very daily drivable. Could anyone shed some light?

To me the K371BT sounded rather bland, much less engaging than the non-BT version. Which is really unfortunate since I quite like the wired version.

Maybe you can get both and compare for yourself?

Dec 12, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #608 of 1,294
Unfortunately I can't quite afford to do that, thanks though. Cheers!

I fully understand, and I just suggested to try them out, not keep both. Amazon is normally quite willing to take something back, and if its not a regular thing but once to try something out, I think that's an option.

If you're mostly running wired anyway I'd get the K371. Maybe a cable with a mic exists, the K371 uses the widespread mini-XLR connector which many third party cables are available for. Or you could get a short cable and a Bluetooth receiver like the EarStudio ES100 or some Fiio (which both include a mic as well).

Dec 12, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #609 of 1,294
Something I notice with Beyer treble is that it doen't seem to be as piercing as one would expect from measurements. It's forward for sure, but not as concentrated or dense of a piercing. But, choo type sibilance is easily present which gets annoying. In certain cases, not so bad or not much, which I suspect is FR variance among DT770. And I believe the 770 is the more balanced and easier treble of the Beyer lineup. Which is why I can recommend 770 to try out. I don't like all the others. I recently really disliked DT880. Their responses are generally wonky for my taste.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#440/4011
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#440/4012

The DT-770 has a depression in the upper-mids/low treble at around 3.5 to 4.0 kHz. Which probably makes the brightness in the higher frequencies seem more tolerable. So they aren't bright in quite the same way as the AKG K371 is, for example, which has quite a bit of energy in the upper mids at around 3 kHz.

What I seem to be finding though, with alot of the music I listen to, is I like a sound sig that's flatter in the mids (with a smooth rise into the bass), and also darker in the treble than the DT-770's default sound. Except at around 200 Hz in the bass, and 3.5 to 4.0 kHz in the upper mids/low treble, where some compensation is needed on the upside to better smooth out the notchs or depressions in those two particular areas.

As I mentioned above, most of the brightness on the DT-770 is above 5 kHz. Though there is also some brightness imo in the upper mids at 1-2 kHz. The type of music you listen to may have lot to do with it though. And I suspect some folks are just using the DT-770's at much lower volumes, so they can enjoy all the detail in the higher frequencies at a more comfortable volume... which is fine. I think you miss out on alot of what these headphones can do lower down though, with some better correction.

High frequency detail can be fun. But it's not as fun when you're trying to enjoy a Kpop or chalga tune at higher volumes. Then it becomes more like nails on a chalkboard. :) (There is always the TP mod though.)

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #611 of 1,294
Hey, guys, I read all the 41 pages before, seeing some mods, some earcup alternatives, but I don't remember seeing any comments about an alternative cable to K361. Is anyone using another cable than the original? Any P1 cable with 2.5mm plug will work?

Probably because it is good enough already, and cables only make a difference if they are badly made.

Dec 19, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #612 of 1,294
Probably because it is good enough already, and cables only make a difference if they are badly made.

I wanted to know, not thinking in a replacement searching for better sound or something, but if by accident, my cable starts to fail. Three cats in the house here. None of them chewed any cables until now, but who knows... 🙃 Guess I'll have to buy one and be the first one to try this...

Dec 19, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #613 of 1,294
I wanted to know, not thinking in a replacement searching for better sound or something, but if by accident, my cable starts to fail. Three cats in the house here. None of them chewed any cables until now, but who knows... 🙃 Guess I'll have to buy one and be the first one to try this...

I use this cable for my K371, it's excellent. Very supple and has solid connectors.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32773720136.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back