AKG K361/K371
Sep 25, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #1,141 of 1,294
Just a general question re amping the akg k371.
I bought these for my 11 year old son. Was looking for a well priced closed back headphone and these sonically were around the mark of what i thought he would enjoy and would be a decent detailed listen, for the price.

he enjoys them and listens to music straight from his ipad mini - one with a headphone jack. He listens to a range of music from harsh sounding modern stuff to well produced music from the 70’s onwards. Michael Jackson is his most played artist on tidal at the moment. So listens to a variety of stuff.

i’m wondering what a well matched desktop dac and amp combo or all in one would be. Primarily looking to use a usb input straight out of my imac. And a setup that is noticeably better (ie more “hifi”) that straight out of the ipad

I’m guessing something not too warm would suit best with these k371’s based on a bit if listening that i have done with them

Budget of up to $600 usd (for new).

(daps could be okay but i’m thinking he won’t bother as a setup desktop system would be less finicky and when he sits on the couch it’s straight back out of the ipad directly)

anything that is a stand out as a match from your own experience?

thanks in advance
K371 is easily driven with any desktop gear. I would pick any one of the latest topping AIO unit within your budget.

Sep 25, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #1,142 of 1,294
Am i right to think a non warm setup (ie very much neutral) is arguably most suitable?

i say that as in my brief listen I particularly noticed the somewhat elevated bottom end

Sep 25, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #1,143 of 1,294
Hi all. I have been using the K361 for a few days. I've been considering returning them in favor of the K371, but am not liking the cable. Would something like this work for the K371? Cable Is the K371 a significant improvement over the K361 in terms of bass?

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #1,145 of 1,294
Hi all. I have been using the K361 for a few days. I've been considering returning them in favor of the K371, but am not liking the cable. Would something like this work for the K371? Cable Is the K371 a significant improvement over the K361 in terms of bass?
I never heard the K361, so I can’t comment on any difference in sound.
What do you want to accomplish with that cable? I don’t see any use case in the context of the K371 I have to admit… that headphone uses a 3-pin mini-XLR on the headphone side, so cables like these should work:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mini+xlr...sprefix=mini+xlr+akg,aps,276&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Sep 26, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #1,146 of 1,294
Here are my comments that I made about 2 years ago on this thread:

Well, for those who may be interested. I had both the K361 and K371 at the same time and took them apart to see what was different. The baffle plates are designed very differently. The baffle plate on the K371 is much more elaborate and has proper rear vent ports built in while the K361 seems to lack them.

It is also very clear that the K371 front diffuser has much more free air area distributed around the entire diaphragm face while the K361 has much less and all of its openings concentrated much more to the inner central area and none closer to the outer area.

The K361 has only 4 baffle plate fixing screws while the K371 has 6.

The back of the drivers (where the magnets are) both look the same to me.

After much use and deliberation of both, I strongly favor the K371.

I changed the K371 cable to a shorter 1m aftermarket version and I reckon that it sounds better. I reckon that the stock cables have as much copper in them as I get in my daily zinc supplements! :ksc75smile:

I find the K371 near perfect and and really like the vocals presence.

Agreed, I love the bass but was not sure at first but we can turn down the volume and still get that fullness of sound that makes them so non fatiguing. For me, after some burn-in, the highs seem to open up and they don't sound too bassy.

Overall, it is a very enjoyable headphone that should be getting much more attention!

BTW, I don't have either anymore but have fond memories of the K371.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #1,150 of 1,294
I wouldn't say they have stoopid bass. They just have the ability to produce bass.

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #1,153 of 1,294
Question for the K371 owners: Would you say these are Bass heavy headphones? I don’t like heavy bass. I see they have 50mm drivers which sometimes give heavy Bass response. Thanks.
Not too heavy that it becomes over-bearing, but heavy and if driven well, heavy and tight. I personally like heavy and tight. I like the bass on it. Upper-mids is a little bit too hot for my liking, but that's the only issue I have with it. I'm waiting on the K381 with smoother upper-mids and same bass.

I say heavy because there is good quantity of it, and it's north of neutral. So, is my heavy same as your heavy? Find out! lol

Regarding 50mm driver. You probably mean closed backs. HD800 has 50mm, but open with bass roll-off. Campfire Audio headphone is got much bass. This is too heavy. It's not like that.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #1,154 of 1,294
Not too heavy that it becomes over-bearing, but heavy and if driven well, heavy and tight. I personally like heavy and tight. I like the bass on it. Upper-mids is a little bit too hot for my liking, but that's the only issue I have with it. I'm waiting on the K381 with smoother upper-mids and same bass.

I say heavy because there is good quantity of it, and it's north of neutral. So, is my heavy same as your heavy? Find out! lol

Regarding 50mm driver. You probably mean closed backs. HD800 has 50mm, but open with bass roll-off. Campfire Audio headphone is got much bass. This is too heavy. It's not like that.
Thanks. I just don’t want the bass to drown out the mids and highs which some bass heavy headphones do. I have a pair of V-Moda headphones and they have way too much bass drowning out the treble. The V-Modas have 50mm drivers. I guess it depends on the design.

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #1,155 of 1,294
Thanks for the response. I see AKG is having a sale and these are only $109. Guess I will order a pair.
Grab a pair at that price and give them a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back