AKG K361/K371
Dec 8, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #1,171 of 1,294
I bought my 11 year old son a pair of the k371 a few months ago and they have gone down a treat. I also think they are great value.

I wanted to set him up with a desktop dac and amp and (even though I exceeded my initial budget, as usual) i demoed the k371 with the mojo2 and that extra amplification (and dac) was fantastic. So bought the mojo 2.

great combo and the k371, in my 20 min demo, sounded better and even better balanced - a fuller sound right across rather than being a bit bottom end emphasised

Dec 8, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #1,172 of 1,294
I bought my 11 year old son a pair of the k371 a few months ago and they have gone down a treat. I also think they are great value.

I wanted to set him up with a desktop dac and amp and (even though I exceeded my initial budget, as usual) i demoed the k371 with the mojo2 and that extra amplification (and dac) was fantastic. So bought the mojo 2.

great combo and the k371, in my 20 min demo, sounded better and even better balanced - a fuller sound right across rather than being a bit bottom end emphasised

You made the K371 balanced? They aren’t wired for balanced from the manufacturer.

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #1,173 of 1,294
You made the K371 balanced? They aren’t wired for balanced from the manufacturer.
no. They are nicely balanced in their sound offering with the mojo2

Dec 12, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #1,174 of 1,294
Guys a question.
I’ve been loving my K371 so much. But recently I noticed something. In on track from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 soundtrack, there’s a subbass part that causes a bit of a cracking sound from the right driver. Its just when that subbass enters.

Haven’t noticed with any songs before (just less than a month with them). Is this somewhat expected with that level of subbass or is my right driver defective? should I return them?

Weird thing is that does not always sound exactly the same. I mean, when I repeat the track the cracking sound may not be there always.

here’s the track in question. And I should mention I listen to them from a cd and through a Schiit Modi3+/Heresy stack

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #1,175 of 1,294
Guys a question.
I’ve been loving my K371 so much. But recently I noticed something. In on track from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 soundtrack, there’s a subbass part that causes a bit of a cracking sound from the right driver. Its just when that subbass enters.

Haven’t noticed with any songs before (just less than a month with them). Is this somewhat expected with that level of subbass or is my right driver defective? should I return them?

Weird thing is that does not always sound exactly the same. I mean, when I repeat the track the cracking sound may not be there always.

here’s the track in question. And I should mention I listen to them from a cd and through a Schiit Modi3+/Heresy stack

If the sound/distortion is not always the same, this hints at some issue with the driver I think. You could swap channels and see of the distortion changes sides as well — meaning it’s the electronics. If it stays on the right side, it’s the driver (preferably use a mono signal to make sure the same sound is present on both channels).

It might just be a hair that’s stuck in front of the drivers, or some small debris. Maybe you can remove the driver cover and have a look or gently blow over the driver.

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #1,176 of 1,294
Swapping the channels is a good idea.

I listened to the track and didn't detect any distortion using my Benchmark DAC3 HGC.

Dec 12, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #1,178 of 1,294
If the sound/distortion is not always the same, this hints at some issue with the driver I think. You could swap channels and see of the distortion changes sides as well — meaning it’s the electronics. If it stays on the right side, it’s the driver (preferably use a mono signal to make sure the same sound is present on both channels).

It might just be a hair that’s stuck in front of the drivers, or some small debris. Maybe you can remove the driver cover and have a look or gently blow over the driver.
Thank you guys. I’ll try the swapping, although it feels like there’s some loose component there in the driver that its causing the crackling. Does not feel right.
Well, tried swapping channels and it was fine on left driver. But before swapping (and after also) I played it normally several times and guess what? all fine in right channel as well. I even turned up volume and nothing, no cracking. Its very confusing, I was about to return it since I still have a week within the return period.

What to make of this?

Dec 12, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #1,179 of 1,294
Do you have a wi-fi access point near your Schiit stack? Do you have other sources of noise close by like a smartphone?

Dec 12, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #1,180 of 1,294
Do you have a wi-fi access point near your Schiit stack? Do you have other sources of noise close by like a smartphone?
Not really. But it does not felt like a signal thing. It felt more like a physical thing, like a vibration inside the driver (again, in that sub bass rumble parts from the track), like if something were just a bit loose inside. Then suddenly this morning tried again and even louder volume and all sounding fine.

Dec 12, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #1,181 of 1,294
I would return it anyway if you feel it's a mechanical issue. No sense in thinking the problem is solved only to have it rear its ugly head after the return window has passed.

Dec 12, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #1,183 of 1,294
Well, tried swapping channels and it was fine on left driver. But before swapping (and after also) I played it normally several times and guess what? all fine in right channel as well. I even turned up volume and nothing, no cracking. Its very confusing, I was about to return it since I still have a week within the return period.

What to make of this?
Hm... did you check for debris in front of the driver? Would be an easy explanation for those symptoms including that it vanished now... my guess would be a hair.
But if in doubt maybe return it and get another unit.

Dec 12, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #1,184 of 1,294
Hm... did you check for debris in front of the driver? Would be an easy explanation for those symptoms including that it vanished now... my guess would be a hair.
But if in doubt maybe return it and get another unit.
Thank you. I'll check it a bit more after work. The only thing that stops me a bit from returning it, is that I got it at a good deal price in the "black Friday" version here in my country; it was $120 vs $160 priced normally. I would lose that deal.

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #1,185 of 1,294
Thank you. I'll check it a bit more after work. The only thing that stops me a bit from returning it, is that I got it at a good deal price in the "black Friday" version here in my country; it was $120 vs $160 priced normally. I would lose that deal.
All the more motivation to have another look :wink:
I'd be rather surprised if it were a driver defect given that it went away while experimenting. Unfortunately I don't know how to remove the driver covers, but looking below them might help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back