AKG K361/K371
Dec 13, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #1,186 of 1,294
Well... I sent them back. Tried them again at home after work and the crackling was still there. So weird. So I could order another (they wouldn't swap) OR maybe I should try the K553 MKii? I primarily listen to orchestral music (mainly OST). Loved the relaxed tonality from the K371 but I think I won't mind a tiny bit more sparkle?... How do you guys compare both the K553 vs K371 for something like orchestral. I love neutral signature; not too bright not too dark.

Edit: Nevermind, I ordered these again to give them a second chance, they are too good for what they do right.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #1,187 of 1,294
Well... I sent them back. Tried them again at home after work and the crackling was still there. So weird. So I could order another (they wouldn't swap) OR maybe I should try the K553 MKii? I primarily listen to orchestral music (mainly OST). Loved the relaxed tonality from the K371 but I think I won't mind a tiny bit more sparkle?... How do you guys compare both the K553 vs K371 for something like orchestral. I love neutral signature; not too bright not too dark.

Edit: Nevermind, I ordered these again to give them a second chance, they are too good for what they do right.
I listened to that track at a volume level as loud as I would ever listen and no cracking sound.
Let us know how you make out on that track with your new pair.

Jan 2, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #1,189 of 1,294
Anyone else using the Dekoni Choice Suede pads on a K371?

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #1,190 of 1,294
I bought Akg K371 because i wanted an Closed-back HP with less leakeage then HD800S.

I think it sounds great and is enjoyable and musical to listen to. I agree with rtings measurements that it could use some more treble energy. "There's a slight dip in mid-treble which may make sibilants (S and T sounds) and cymbals sound slightly dull, but this may not be audible to everyone."
Bass is great though and reaches low.

The comfort is not the best imo. I think the pressure of the pads might be to strong or the edge of the pad can touch the back of ear that can be tiresome after some hour or two but some readjustment helps for a while. Also it slides easy and change position on the head. HD800S feel like a dream in comparison. Sometimes I use HP all day (around 12 hours) with some short breaks in between.

Overall HD800S beats it easily in sound and in comfort. But I think Akg 371 does some things better like bass and rhythm and more forgiving and smoother SSS sounds in vocals. And the leakeage.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #1,191 of 1,294
The comfort is not the best imo. I think the pressure of the pads might be to strong or the edge of the pad can touch the back of ear that can be tiresome after some hour or two but some readjustment helps for a while.

I replaced the squishy-soft stock pads with the Dekoni Choice Leather on my K361 and the Dekoni Sheepskin on my K371. Of the two, I find the leather most comfortable. I don't have a recommendation for the Vegans out there, though.

Jan 5, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #1,192 of 1,294
Jan 5, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #1,193 of 1,294
The Dekoni Choice Suede is the way to go on the K371. With some minor EQ tweaks with a Qudelix 5K they sound great. They do a lot of things better than my Elear with Clear pads. I’d have a hard time picking which one I really prefer overall.

The Dekoni Choice Suede pads do something special to vocals. They make vocals sound extra focused.

Jan 5, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #1,194 of 1,294
The Dekoni Choice Suede is the way to go on the K371. With some minor EQ tweaks with a Qudelix 5K they sound great. They do a lot of things better than my Elear with Clear pads. I’d have a hard time picking which one I really prefer overall.

The Dekoni Choice Suede pads do something special to vocals. They make vocals sound extra focused.
Hows the comfort for long listening sessions?

Brainwavz audio have more options for pads BTW.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #1,195 of 1,294
Hows the comfort for long listening sessions?
Better than the stock pads for sure. I have no complaints. They still don’t have the most consistent seal, especially with glasses, but better than stock in that regard as well. I specifically went with these pads because Dekoni showed graphs of basically no frequency response difference, and I also wanted to switch away from a pleather pad to something softer.

I’d also like to add that I got my K371 in November of 2019, and they are still going just as good as day one. I baby them just the same as all my other audio gear, but I’ve had zero issues.

I had kind of replaced these with the AirPods Max for a while, but recently sold them and pulled out the K371 again and I’m enjoying them again. They need a little EQ for my preferences, but with it, they are really great.

Disregard the frequency response itself but look at the difference between the two lines, and the axis on the left is in 2db increments. So it’s pretty close.

Attachments

• D0BF8878-36CF-412F-9B6C-9423138EB0DF.png
    D0BF8878-36CF-412F-9B6C-9423138EB0DF.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #1,196 of 1,294
Better than the stock pads for sure. I have no complaints. They still don’t have the most consistent seal, especially with glasses, but better than stock in that regard as well. I specifically went with these pads because Dekoni showed graphs of basically no frequency response difference, and I also wanted to switch away from a pleather pad to something softer.

I’d also like to add that I got my K371 in November of 2019, and they are still going just as good as day one. I baby them just the same as all my other audio gear, but I’ve had zero issues.

I had kind of replaced these with the AirPods Max for a while, but recently sold them and pulled out the K371 again and I’m enjoying them again. They need a little EQ for my preferences, but with it, they are really great.

Disregard the frequency response itself but look at the difference between the two lines, and the axis on the left is in 2db increments. So it’s pretty close.
They don't seem the best choice to maintain the great leakeage property. What you think regarding leakeage?

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #1,197 of 1,294
They don't seem the best choice to maintain the great leakeage property. What you think regarding leakeage?

You mean other people hearing your music while you’re listening to it? If so, I have no concern with that. I only use them at home, and I listen at a pretty quiet level. I also use an open back at home and my fiancé, even while sitting next to me on the couch has never complained.

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #1,198 of 1,294
Jan 5, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #1,199 of 1,294
Jan 12, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #1,200 of 1,294
Akg k371 scaled well with Hugo2 as dac vs CXNv2 dac connected to Ferrum Stack. And let me know Hugo2 is the superior dac. More resolution and insight more dynamic and effortless. Bigger soundstage.

I wonder if its worth getting an balanced cable as i think Ferrum Oor excels with that connection.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back