AKG K361/K371
Dec 1, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #76 of 1,294
Exactly. It is a very good headphone and it deserves its praise, but some people are taking that and thinking it competes with headphones more than twice it’s price which isn’t really the case. I think it beats everything at its price point (with the DT 770 being a possible exception but that is more a matter of preference, for those who prefer a v-shape response and greater soundstage).

I think part of that has to do with the fact that there aren’t many great sounding closed back portable cans in existence.

I see it being an M50(x) killer. Same ballpark for price. Anyone who likes the Harman target should enjoy it. For me it's basically a full size version of the Samsung Galaxy Buds. And since I made mine Bluetooth it'll just be super convenient. There is actually a Bluetooth version of the K371 coming soon as well, which I think will be a big hit, but mine has LDAC.

Dec 3, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #77 of 1,294
The Samsung Galaxy Buds shoot for the IE version of the Harman target. The Galaxy Buds are what got me into enjoying the Harman target.

I've strongly been considering getting a pair of these but I'm just not too keen on tws I guess. Maybe it's a better choice though :)

I haven't come across an other iem that has this sort of sound. I really enjoy the meaty coherent sound with a bit of subbass emphasis.

Dec 3, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #78 of 1,294
I've strongly been considering getting a pair of these but I'm just not too keen on tws I guess. Maybe it's a better choice though :)

I haven't come across an other iem that has this sort of sound. I really enjoy the meaty coherent sound with a bit of subbass emphasis.

They sound close and can be had pretty cheaply now a days.

Dec 7, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #79 of 1,294
A Bluetooth enabled variant sounds intriguing... at the Moment I use the K371 more than my DT770 at Home, but with Bluetooth they might complement the V-Moda CF2 Codex i use at the office nicely, with a different signature and a bit more comfort.

After going through many models at the high end (including the original Abyss) I'm somehow much more pleased by what is now available for a very limited budget, with the K371 being a prime example of this development: I like how it feels in hand and on my head, I like it's sound signature, I like it's sound quality, I like it's compact form factor. Ok, the cups might be a bit deeper, I might prefer memory foam pads... but still, this is quite an accomplishment. And to me much more interesting than the next 3000+ headphone that tries to engage me in discussions about technicalities while taking away most of the fun.

I once owned the M50xBT, but did not like it that much, neither the sound signature nor it's too bulky design. I think the K371 is a better option for many who might have bought the M50 otherwise.

Dec 7, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #80 of 1,294
A Bluetooth enabled variant sounds intriguing... at the Moment I use the K371 more than my DT770 at Home, but with Bluetooth they might complement the V-Moda CF2 Codex i use at the office nicely, with a different signature and a bit more comfort.

After going through many models at the high end (including the original Abyss) I'm somehow much more pleased by what is now available for a very limited budget, with the K371 being a prime example of this development: I like how it feels in hand and on my head, I like it's sound signature, I like it's sound quality, I like it's compact form factor. Ok, the cups might be a bit deeper, I might prefer memory foam pads... but still, this is quite an accomplishment. And to me much more interesting than the next 3000+ headphone that tries to engage me in discussions about technicalities while taking away most of the fun.

I once owned the M50xBT, but did not like it that much, neither the sound signature nor it's too bulky design. I think the K371 is a better option for many who might have bought the M50 otherwise.
I’ve put Brainwavz memory foam pads in pleather (the “Sony” shape fits perfectly) on my K361. They’re not as big an improvement as I hoped, but I do like them.

Dec 7, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #81 of 1,294
at the Moment I use the K371 more than my DT770 at Home

I was considering the opposite of getting the K371 and trying the DT770 but only since the DT770s are meant to have a wider sound stage and some brightness.

What do you feel are the main reasons you prefer the K371 over the DT770s ?

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #82 of 1,294
I’ve put Brainwavz memory foam pads in pleather (the “Sony” shape fits perfectly) on my K361. They’re not as big an improvement as I hoped, but I do like them.

Some of the reviewers said 3rd party pads change the noise on the K371s at least making it worse oddly, but I too would prefer the brainwavz the quality is just there and I am willing to bet AKG pleather pads still turn to crumbling dust snow flakes after a year or two.

Are you sure the sound quality is just as good with the brainwavz ?

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #83 of 1,294
Some of the reviewers said 3rd party pads change the noise on the K371s at least making it worse oddly, but I too would prefer the brainwavz the quality is just there and I am willing to bet AKG pleather pads still turn to crumbling dust snow flakes after a year or two.

Are you sure the sound quality is just as good with the brainwavz ?
With my K361 the sound is slightly different - highs are a little less clashing, a little more smoothed out. Subjectively it feels more like some internal echoes are reduced than like the frequency response being changed. And it's fairly subtle. I prefer the sound with the Brainwavz pads, but YMMV and again, mine's a K361.

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #84 of 1,294

I've had my K371(with an ES100 velcroed to it) for a week now and have been using it everyday. Haven't used my HD650 or Q701 in that week.

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #85 of 1,294
With my K361 the sound is slightly different - highs are a little less clashing, a little more smoothed out. Subjectively it feels more like some internal echoes are reduced than like the frequency response being changed. And it's fairly subtle. I prefer the sound with the Brainwavz pads, but YMMV and again, mine's a K361.

that is good news to hear, imo my K550 sound improved thanks to the brainwavz seal and isolation improvement alone, over the stock AKG pleathers.

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #86 of 1,294
I was considering the opposite of getting the K371 and trying the DT770 but only since the DT770s are meant to have a wider sound stage and some brightness.

What do you feel are the main reasons you prefer the K371 over the DT770s ?

Thats a really good question actually... to be able to answer it I just put on my DT880 80ohm again, which always sits on my desk connected to my Hugo. And I have to say I still like the DT770. Yes, the differences are quite obvious, with the DT770 being more spacious and a bit more engaging (or aggressive, depending on taste, recording and amp) in the treble. The bass is a bit fuller, with the K371 having more emphasis on the deeper bass while the DT770 presents a more traditional signature. It clamps a bit more, but its cups are more spacious. The fixed cable is a bit long on the 80ohm model...

The DT770 is still a solid headphone, with its time-tested design and availability of spare parts it may be more future proof than the new AKG, which might be forgotten again in a few years. And how do I change the pads on the K371?

Soundwise its more depending on taste than quality I think. Hope that helps a bit.

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #87 of 1,294
Thats a really good question actually... to be able to answer it I just put on my DT880 80ohm again, which always sits on my desk connected to my Hugo. And I have to say I still like the DT770. Yes, the differences are quite obvious, with the DT770 being more spacious and a bit more engaging (or aggressive, depending on taste, recording and amp) in the treble. The bass is a bit fuller, with the K371 having more emphasis on the deeper bass while the DT770 presents a more traditional signature. It clamps a bit more, but its cups are more spacious. The fixed cable is a bit long on the 80ohm model...

The DT770 is still a solid headphone, with its time-tested design and availability of spare parts it may be more future proof than the new AKG, which might be forgotten again in a few years. And how do I change the pads on the K371?

Soundwise its more depending on taste than quality I think. Hope that helps a bit.
DT770 is great, I like my 80 ohm unit for solid detail and stage for being closed. But it is by no means a headphone you can just plug in and have a fairly neutral sounding signature or Harman-like signature - it's totally different and much more V shaped. So both headphones are great for different reasons.

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #88 of 1,294
I could totally live with just these and my Samsung Galaxy Buds. For actually listening to music they are both great.

The audiophile curse, is using music to listen to headphones, instead of using headphones to listen to music.

Also, I just got my haircut today and trimmed my facial hair and I guess I have a better seal now cause the sub bass is now really impressive. I wear glasses, but they are small frames that sit very tightly against the sides of my head, so they seem to be having no effect at all.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #89 of 1,294
The K361 is in. I'll do a comparo over the weekend.
Simply, the K361 seems to be a slightly brighter K371, which allows a bit more light into the bass range, uncovering a bit more detail. The sub-bass is not as strong as the 371 but it is a nice even-keeled presentation. Given the choice, I'd take the 371 for it's overall balance and solid bottom. If I had no choice, I'd take the K245 over both...it seems to incorporate the strong points of the 361 and 371 in one package. Less comfortable than 361/371 but it doesn't have the seal inconsistency of those.

So, as always, it's a matter of taste and preference. But inexpensive enough to take a chance without really being disappointed.

Dec 7, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #90 of 1,294
Simply, the K361 seems to be a slightly brighter K371, which allows a bit more light into the bass range, uncovering a bit more detail. The sub-bass is not as strong as the 371 but it is a nice even-keeled presentation. Given the choice, I'd take the 371 for it's overall balance and solid bottom. If I had no choice, I'd take the K245 over both...it seems to incorporate the strong points of the 361 and 371 in one package. Less comfortable than 361/371 but it doesn't have the seal inconsistency of those.

So, as always, it's a matter of taste and preference. But inexpensive enough to take a chance without really being disappointed.

I like the K371 with a small EQ boost at 8k and 16k with the ES100's built in EQ. This adds a bit of sparkle, air, and detail. My preferred sound seems to be a slightly brighter version of the Harman target.

Screenshot_20191207-144207.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back