AKG K361/K371
Nov 16, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #46 of 1,294
I am tempted to get a pair of the K371`s.The only thing holding me back is that I already have a pair of Beyer DT250`s, which are also very neutral headphones, and the sound signature will probably be too similar to the AKG`s.

Nov 16, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #47 of 1,294
.....However, some of the mid-bass sounds light in comparison to the mids and especially the forward, emphasized highs. I like to be able to hear the bassline. In these headphones, it sounds recessed on many tracks that I enjoy.
I agree, the midbass initially sounds like it is light but it's really the fact that for once you are not hearing bloated overcooked midbass and are finally hearing some space and transparency in the range in order to hear the actual notes....you don't get that droning blurry blob. And I find this allows more midrange detail to come through. If AKG was to add in the "missing" midbass, it'd sound like other headphones, we'd eventually get weary of it and we'd complain about that.

Having said that, I do note a problem of the mids being too in your face if you crank it up too loud. But I don't hear 'forward, emphasized highs' unless the material possesses that character.

Nov 16, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #48 of 1,294
I agree, the midbass initially sounds like it is light but it's really the fact that for once you are not hearing bloated overcooked midbass and are finally hearing some space and transparency in the range in order to hear the actual notes....you don't get that droning blurry blob....

Actually, I'm quite familiar with many different types of headphones, and I know what I like lol

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #49 of 1,294
Me too. And everyone else. Makes for interesting discussion.

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #50 of 1,294
I think they fit their description quite well, targeting the professional/studio segment. This does not mean that private use is unprofessional, just that it allows for more freedom in the interpretation of the electrical signal.
Me, I like a headphone that sounds a bit boring on first contact: this is often an indicator of a signature that holds up well over a long time. And yes, I'm very happy that the K371 does not emphasize the midbass range (around 100Hz) but rather subbass: headphones with too much midbass quickly make me tired of listening, maybe even more so than elevated treble.
Overall I'm still very happy with them. They sit quite comfortable (especially the cushioning of the headband is well done), sound good, are easy to drive, quite compact and look nice. I've had much more expensive headphones that did not tick as many boxes for me...

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #51 of 1,294
I've had a K361 for a few days. I haven't heard the K371, though Oluv's comparison on YouTube is suggestive of what the sonic differences are. Based on that review, the 361's signature seemed more like the kind of thing I generally prefer. I mostly listen to modern classical / new age / chamber music at low volumes.

In my case the role I'm trying to fill is general-purpose office headphone. I've been using K550 for that, driven by a decent amplifier, and I really like K550 for my kind of quiet music, but K550's a little bulky, especially when fitted with the aftermarket pads I like. I wondered if I could get a similar sound in a smaller and lighter form factor.

Compared to K550, K361 has a lot less air and shimmer. For me that's a big disappointment. It has more visceral low-end thump, which for me is not a plus. I'm listening to K361 at higher volume levels than I would a K550, and finding it less involving.

It's less isolating – for me at least – than K550. It leaks outward more as well, which isn't a problem at my listening levels but could bother neighbors if you like bass-driven music and crank it up.

But despite my grumblings, it's working OK as an office headphone. I like how lightweight and compact it is. Somehow this just makes it less of a decision to drop them on if I only have 10 minutes until my next meeting or whatever. It's a less big and in the way object on my desk. They're enjoyable. They sound fine. And when I really want to do heads-down work isolated in my audiophile sonic bubble, I switch to Etys – which I was doing anyway.

Over the long term I'm not sure whether I'll switch back to K550 at work or stick with these, but my early-days impression is, hmm, they might work.

Nov 17, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #52 of 1,294
Is the subbass really emphasized? Or is it just depicting the proper balance that you would hear from a full range loudspeaker? I think it's the latter.

Nov 23, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #53 of 1,294
I just got these, and I like these a lot. Coming from AKG K550 smaller size is great, getting good seal is possible now. I also appreciate the FR. For the price these are excellent. One question. If you would be looking for an "upgraded AKG K371", what would you buy? Preferably closed-back. Denon D9200?

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #54 of 1,294
I just got these, and I like these a lot. Coming from AKG K550 smaller size is great, getting good seal is possible now. I also appreciate the FR. For the price these are excellent. One question. If you would be looking for an "upgraded AKG K371", what would you buy? Preferably closed-back. Denon D9200?
Hmm...I’ve heard good things about that Denon series. Or maybe the Neumann NDH20, used Oppo PM3 or even Audeze Mobius?

Nov 25, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #55 of 1,294
Alright...because of all the glowing reviews, the recommendations on Reddit and the nice price drop to $125 I decided to order a pair from Amazon. Mainly just to try them because they aren't too expensive, and because I'm rather curious. Since I already have the DT 177X I'll be surprised if I prefer these, but if I like them close to as much, I might end up selling the Beyers. Maybe even the H6 too. Although those have a special sound signature that is rather pleasing with the right music. I'll post my impressions when I get the chance to listen to them!

Nov 28, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #56 of 1,294
I think they fit their description quite well, targeting the professional/studio segment. This does not mean that private use is unprofessional, just that it allows for more freedom in the interpretation of the electrical signal.
Me, I like a headphone that sounds a bit boring on first contact: this is often an indicator of a signature that holds up well over a long time. And yes, I'm very happy that the K371 does not emphasize the midbass range (around 100Hz) but rather subbass: headphones with too much midbass quickly make me tired of listening, maybe even more so than elevated treble.
Overall I'm still very happy with them. They sit quite comfortable (especially the cushioning of the headband is well done), sound good, are easy to drive, quite compact and look nice. I've had much more expensive headphones that did not tick as many boxes for me...

I also just received my pair and I completely agree with you. I don't know if it's the tuning or the light weight and great design but I love this thing.

Sound wise I prefer it over all my IEM's (Andromeda, LCDI4, CL2).
Headphone wise I prefer this over Campfire audio Cascade, Beyerdynamic T2, Senheisser momentum and Audeze LCD2 closed.

This thing just sings to me and it disappears on my head.
I think as you said it checks almost everything I would want from a closed back headphone. Even to the point that I wonder why would I buy a more expensive one?

Nov 28, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #57 of 1,294
I just got these yesterday as well and I like what I hear so far, especially considering the price. I only spent about 15 minutes, should have more time with it this weekend. But quick take away is that they do a little better than they should for their price. Leagues better than the M50X.

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #58 of 1,294
My favorite pair ATM is Akg K545, also waiting for K371 to arrive, wonder if they can beat the K545.

I prefer K545 over:
Momentums
Final Audio Hope VI
Ether CX
B&W PX, P7
Oppo PM3
Blue Lola
Shure SRH1540
Sony MDR-1A
SoundMAGIC HP150
Focal Spirit Classic/Pro
NAD VISO HP50
Audeze Sine

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #59 of 1,294
The Frequency Curve response of this one is just perfect for me.
If I could have the exact same sound in an IEM shape (I guess it would be a slightly different curve as IEM's measure differently to headphones), I'd be all over it and be done :)

Nov 28, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #60 of 1,294
Happy thanksgiving all!

Spent a little more than an hour with these this morning and I gotta say these sound pretty great...no, it’s not a giant killer, but considering the price this is the new value closed back king.

They don’t sound very muddy, bass is pretty articulate. I don’t hear the midbass as dipped really. They don’t sound thin. I agree mids are pretty HD650 esque but the 650 has a warmer tone. And I can definitely hear a bit of a slope in the upper mids. It sounds very forward on tracks that seem to be mastered with a forwardness in that region, otherwise it’s just slightly forward. Which might give the allusion that it’s lacking midbass sometimes. And the cramped soundstage also lends to the rather forward sound too. Treble is probably the best part here. Manages to be crisp but not rough sounding and pretty detailed. Imaging and soundstage is meh but hard to complain with it for the price.

Anyway this is a great sounding headphone. I’m still way early into the return period so I’ll play around with them some more. I’ll keep them if I fall in love, but I plan to return them since I already have other cans that these don’t totally beat. But these are hard to beat at their price point, and I’m glad I have them at least for a little while so I know what they sound like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back