AKG K361/K371
Dec 7, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #91 of 1,294
:sweat_smile:
Simply, the K361 seems to be a slightly brighter K371, which allows a bit more light into the bass range, uncovering a bit more detail. The sub-bass is not as strong as the 371 but it is a nice even-keeled presentation. Given the choice, I'd take the 371 for it's overall balance and solid bottom. If I had no choice, I'd take the K245 over both...it seems to incorporate the strong points of the 361 and 371 in one package. Less comfortable than 361/371 but it doesn't have the seal inconsistency of those.

So, as always, it's a matter of taste and preference. But inexpensive enough to take a chance without really being disappointed.

Very cool to see you mention the K245 in relation to the K361/K371 and in a favorable light. I picked up the K245 for $50 used and I’m trying to maintain the discipline not to have to get the K371. :sweat_smile:

Dec 7, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #92 of 1,294
:sweat_smile:

Very cool to see you mention the K245 in relation to the K361/K371 and in a favorable light. I picked up the K245 for $50 used and I’m trying to maintain the discipline not to have to get the K371. :sweat_smile:

Amazon still has them for $125. Amazon's return policy is always pretty easy if you were to not like it. I got mine for $134 and it's the best $134 I've spent in a long time.

Dec 7, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #93 of 1,294
That Amazon return policy and the nice price is why I decided to just take a jump on them. Even if I couldn’t return them it’s not a big loss. I say they do sound pretty darn good for the low price. I like them, but I like my 177X too! And my H6, which is a special sounding headphone to me.

Dec 7, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #94 of 1,294
That Amazon return policy and the nice price is why I decided to just take a jump on them. Even if I couldn’t return them it’s not a big loss. I say they do sound pretty darn good for the low price. I like them, but I like my 177X too! And my H6, which is a special sounding headphone to me.

If I had to use all my headphones with no EQ, then my choice would definitely be the K371. They are the closest to what I like with no EQ.

My HD650 I EQ to the Harman target. My M50x, if I ever use it again, gets EQ'ed to the Harman target. My Q701 I did the bass mod to and don't EQ. The just have a very detailed and unique sound just the way they are.

Lately though I've just been using the K371 and the Samsung Galaxy Buds. They sound good and the convenience of Bluetooth and just using my phone is very nice.

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #96 of 1,294
Amazon still has them for $125. Amazon's return policy is always pretty easy if you were to not like it. I got mine for $134 and it's the best $134 I've spent in a long time.

I may get them just to have a reference for the “Harman curve.” Technically I believe I supposedly already have these in a Bluetooth set from sister company / sister brand JBL, the Everest Elite 750NC supposedly follow the Harman curve when used in active mode and after calibration (their so-called TruNote) but it’s not acoustically tuned for Harman curve, so that’s a little different, and that aspect of the JBL’s got very little attention from reviewers - Tyll did mention it in his moderately favorable review of the predecessor Everest Elite 700, which also had the TruNote calibration, but I don’t recall anyone else really pointing this out.

Dec 7, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #97 of 1,294
I may get them just to have a reference for the “Harman curve.” Technically I believe I supposedly already have these in a Bluetooth set from sister company / sister brand JBL, the Everest Elite 750NC supposedly follow the Harman curve when used in active mode and after calibration (their so-called TruNote) but it’s not acoustically tuned for Harman curve, so that’s a little different, and that aspect of the JBL’s got very little attention from reviewers - Tyll did mention it in his moderately favorable review of the predecessor Everest Elite 700, which also had the TruNote calibration, but I don’t recall anyone else really pointing this out.
Yep I've heard the Elite 700, after calibration it's very much the Harman target. Tyll's graph for them doesn't make much sense and might be shown without calibration.

Dec 8, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #98 of 1,294
So my first 6 days with these I guess I was not getting a proper seal, I assumed I was, but I was wrong. Now I am and the sub-bass is unreal. At times it's like having a subwoofer strapped to each side of my head, but only when the song calls for it, and it never intrudes on the mid bass or mid range. For music like Fear Factory with their crazy sub-bass blasts these things are awesome. I've never had a headphone that had big sub-bass, but also with mid-bass that is where it belongs, that never bleeds into the mids and never ruins them.

If AKG was trying to make these sound like a speaker system with a proper subwoofer, they have succeeded.

Dec 9, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #99 of 1,294
So my first 6 days with these I guess I was not getting a proper seal, I assumed I was, but I was wrong. Now I am and the sub-bass is unreal. At times it's like having a subwoofer strapped to each side of my head, but only when the song calls for it, and it never intrudes on the mid bass or mid range. For music like Fear Factory with their crazy sub-bass blasts these things are awesome. I've never had a headphone that had big sub-bass, but also with mid-bass that is where it belongs, that never bleeds into the mids and never ruins them.

If AKG was trying to make these sound like a speaker system with a proper subwoofer, they have succeeded.

i'm almost sold on getting the K371. i like the tuning of my Sony MH755 (supossedly these follows harman curve as close as k371). i am wondering about treble compared to my reference can, HD600, would you say these are darker or brighter compared to HD600?

Dec 9, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #100 of 1,294
Dec 9, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #101 of 1,294
My two cents here - the hype is the hype, as usual. Sending mine back to amazon. Doesn't bring anything new to the table to beat my trusty old K545. Not a large difference in anything except bass. In K545 the bass is much more natural, and not skewed to sub bass solely as in K371.

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #102 of 1,294
Dec 10, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #103 of 1,294

I bent and shaped the headband to fit and have had no issues since.

I think the bass range is actually fairly well balanced. That the midbass seems to stand out is probably because it is missing in most other headphones and we are not used to hearing it at the level where it should be.

Dec 17, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #105 of 1,294
Just started listening, but these are the real deal. Coming from Focal Elex as my regular full size headphone and honestly I could live with the K371 to as my only headphone if I had to.

I don't have an Elex, just an HD650, and Q701, but I agree. I could definitely live with just these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back