AKG K3003 Universal IEM Review: Challenger to the Custom IEM World?
May 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #32 of 79
Quote:
Which universal would you recommend?
The ie800 is a new upcoming sennheiser iem but it's going to be open back.
http://www.slashgear.com/sennheiser-ie-800-earphones-hands-on-13222800/

So is the K3003 not what you are looking for signature wise?  The FitEar To Go! 334 sounds very good and has a different signature that is more monitor like.  I did own the IE8 for quite some time and it was my favorite IEM for an extended period of time, plus Sennheiser does know how to make great sounding products.  It could be a winner, but at this time it is really unknown and the Slashgear article doesn't say much about the sound.  I do hope it is an evolution, but no one knows at the moment. 

May 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #33 of 79
I have both the K3003 and the FitEar TG 334, and I find both are exceptional in their respective ways. The former is airy and pristine, rendering instruments---and the human voice especially---in such a way as to bring out all their subtle nuances. Details are emphasized but not overbearing. In this sense I'd say it's more of a hi-fi type of device with a definite wow factor. The FitEar by comparison ranks as one of the most, if not THE most, transparent IEMs I've ever heard. It's exceptionally accurate but slightly more sedate in comparison to the flightier K3003, and in that sense I'd say it's a reference device first and foremost. Though both are great for reference listening. The presentation is slightly more restrictive with a bit less breathing room on the TG 334 I find. The K3003 seems more expansive. On the other hand, imaging seems more accurate on the TG 334 and objects within its space are more clearly delineated. 

To overgeneralize, the K3003 strikes me as being the more obvious "fun choice" between the two.

It's also worth mentioning Final Audio Design's FI-BA-SS, another contender vying for the title of "top universal IEM."

May 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #34 of 79
I too have heard the 334 and both are different.  I think the 334 technically outperforms the K3003, but the K3003 has a signature that is more consumer friendly and fun.  Does the FI-BA-SS really compete?

May 23, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #35 of 79
Quote:
Does the FI-BA-SS really compete?

I have the prototype white-cabled version which is tuned to be slightly warmer and more relaxed compared to the normal FI-BA-SS, but I'll be hearing James' soon hopefully. If it's anything like its more elusive counterpart though I'm inclined to think so.

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #38 of 79
Hi!

In your review, you have mentioned that the OEM ear tips are too short for your ear canals and that you have ended up settling with triple flange tips.
Could you indicate what models you are using and where they can be bought?
I've looked over the internet to find alternative tips (I also find the OEM are just too short for my ears and tend to come out after 15-20min of listening) but I do get lost since I don't know what diameter I should consider.

Thanks.

Nov 23, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #40 of 79
Many thanks average_joe!
I ordered a set of ear tips from MEElectronics.

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #41 of 79
Joe, can you compare the K3003 to the Heir 8.A, please? 
popcorn.gif

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #44 of 79
Hi guys
can you please recomend a desktop headphone amp for akg k 3003i?
budget max 500 euros
thx

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #45 of 79
Quote:
Hi guys
can you please recomend a desktop headphone amp for akg k 3003i?
budget max 500 euros
thx

I don't have a lot of experience with desktop amps, but I can recommend the Portaphile 627 which can be used on a desktop and the Shonyun 301 which is a very capable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back