AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
May 12, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #3,571 of 4,058

Pairing the Mojo with the KSE1500 - I never really thought of that because I have no intention of carrying around both a Mojo and the KSE1500 unit for my mobile set up.  Will definitely try it out and see how it sounds.

The SE846 has amazing bass but is nowhere close to the clarity and fullness of the mids of the K3003 ( with the Mojo).  I've never had a chance to try the SE846 with the Mojo.

Just received the T500 ( no wax filter) last night and the sound is even smoother ( and very comfortable).  I still stand by my statement that K3003 + Mojo is the best mobile sound I've heard so far.

That being said, us head-fiers are always enticed by new tech and love the journey of trying to find something new - there's no such thing as an endgame except for death :).  For me, the Rhapsodio Galaxy is next on the list.  I've read people post that it's the first iem that comes close/exceeds the K3003 is terms of clarity.

What do you mean by "white" and "grey" filters?   My K3003 came with bass/reference/treble filters, but they're all the same color.

to elaborate further, the various filters, if you look closely, are simply subtracting info from the music, ie adding some green gunk and metal incrementally as you move from the treble to the bass filters, with the bass filters having the most between your ears and the transducers themselves. 

Thus it's logical that the treble filters, just being mesh grills, will give you the purest sound, imho. But it can be at the expense of a little over the top treble with certain albums.

If you're not already using the trebles "de rigeur", I'd be very interest in your appraisal!

gs1000.gif

May 12, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #3,572 of 4,058
  Yeah, give it a whirl, you never know? (KSE+MOJO) 

I used the T500's and got on well with them, then a fellow headfier suggested the TS500 which are the round ones. and they just seal even better and aren't so long, so more of the precision is retained. I get better bass even than with the T500's :) - why the K3's come with such crappy stock tips I can't fathom; it really could put a lot of punters off to begin with!

The "treble" filters are the white ones. Referring to the colour of the seal: grey and black (bass) shown here...

I was using the greys (standard) as mentioned in previous message, but the whites (treble) are phenominal. If you like an incisive sound that is. It was like a new set of IEMs this morning. I'd completely forgotten how good they could make the K3's sound. 

I'm just happy with what I have for now! Just checked and the K3's are still selling for 899 chf here in switzerland, actually 100chf MORE than i paid last year for them. And out since, when ? 2011? Thats a very long shelf life for any product. Just shows that the best doesn't necessarily need to be replaced every year.

Happy listening!!

Using the treble filters with the TS500s that have enhanced bass is an AWESOME idea.  Thanks for the tip.

Will try it out and also test the Mojo/KSE1500.

May 12, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #3,573 of 4,058

Using the treble filters with the TS500s that have enhanced bass is an AWESOME idea.  Thanks for the tip.

Will try it out and also test the Mojo/KSE1500.

Nice!!! Listening now to some super piano music; Phil Aaberg, High Plains. Sublime. Am even listening in preference to my T1's. I know it'll wear off but for now, just great.

May 17, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #3,575 of 4,058
Will do....the issue that I am having is that I don't have a good 1/8 to 1/8 cable.  Don't want to make any definitive statements to our headfi community without having a range of equipment to test with.  Will see if I can find a good cable and post my reaction in the Mojo thread.

Happy listening.

May 17, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #3,576 of 4,058
  Will do....the issue that I am having is that I don't have a good 1/8 to 1/8 cable.  Don't want to make any definitive statements to our headfi community without having a range of equipment to test with.  Will see if I can find a good cable and post my reaction in the Mojo thread.

Happy listening.

you mean a 1/8 to 1/4? or 1/4 to 1/8 adapter?

May 17, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #3,578 of 4,058
  The Mojo has a 1/8 headphone output connector ( actually it has two).  The Shure KSE1500 has 1/8 Line In connector.  So to connect the two, I need a 1/8 to 1/8 connector - like what they use for computer speakers.  Not a cable that most people have just lying around.

ah, sorry. My confusion. Always a problem, getting the right connectors!

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #3,579 of 4,058
I traded my 3003's away a few months ago and now have them back for about two weeks now..not really sure why I traded them but I'm really loving these things again..so happy I got them back.. Great iem at any cost!

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #3,583 of 4,058
Κ3003 are very nice , but it gets better folks

keep on moving up 
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #3,584 of 4,058
Great! It's taken me several sets of different tips and a lot of trying out of the various different filters to get to where I feel I am getting the best out of them. 

an acquired taste for you perhaps but not for everyone

Κ3003 are very nice , but it gets better folks

keep on moving up :p

you suffer from upgraditis which is a common condition here :wink:

Jun 3, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #3,585 of 4,058
you suffer from upgraditis which is a common condition here
wink.gif

it took me 4 years to go from 200$ to 1000$ iems , so i consider myself a restrained person , plus i don't eat all the hype that people throw about good but overpriced iems in here (i won't mention companies and ciems , cause no need to get banned 
tongue.gif
 )

we all want something better , it is normal but because i have a limited budget and a developed/analytical brain i do not fall into the various hype traps in here and think before i say something

K3003 is good (for 500 euros) sure, and i really liked it when i owned it but there is room for improvement - i just got myself a NT6 and i am mind-blown 
eek.gif
 (there , i revealed why i said that k3003 is good but not the end of it all)

cheers 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back