AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Jul 14, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #3,601 of 4,058
yes, you still need a seal but you don't need deep insertion to get one. i use the medium stock tips btw.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #3,603 of 4,058
  still need a seal, even if shallow fit. I find the comply TS500 large tips to be the best, with the white (non) filters; offers the best compromise between fit, comfort, seal and the reduced treble, increased bass from the tips and seal is offset by the brighter filter. Great sound.

What filter would you recommend to use overall?

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #3,604 of 4,058

if you get a good seal using the TS500's I would still try greys first then move on to the whites if you are not finding them overbright. Last thing you want is to become (more) disillusioned and if you're getting a poor fit then it's brightness all the way in any case, so the whites will just exacerbate that.

I find the greys introduce a bit of grain to the sound, just not so pure as with the whites. With the good seal Im getting with the complys, very little sounds harsh, depends of course on the mastering; and well recorded stuff is just sublime.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #3,605 of 4,058

ps... (just in case you're having trouble fitting the comply's, not to patronise in any way!) to get a good fit, squeeze the comply's around the barrel of the phones, then quickly put in ear canal with a little applied force, then hold there using the tip of a finger, for about 10 seconds to allow expansion in the outer canal. Pretty comfortable like that, and they won't fall out.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #3,606 of 4,058
  ps... (just in case you're having trouble fitting the comply's, not to patronise in any way!) to get a good fit, squeeze the comply's around the barrel of the phones, then quickly put in ear canal with a little applied force, then hold there using the tip of a finger, for about 10 seconds to allow expansion in the outer canal. Pretty comfortable like that, and they won't fall out.

I will try the large complys with the method you mentioned. How far do the complys have to be pushed onto the barrel? All the way to the end? Doing this exposes the tip of the barrel...Not sure if that would affect the sound?

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #3,607 of 4,058
i've not felt the need to try after market tips with the k3003 but i have used comply's with other earphones and found that they muffled the highs somewhat. do the comply's affect the k3003 in this way?

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #3,608 of 4,058

I will try the large complys with the method you mentioned. How far do the complys have to be pushed onto the barrel? All the way to the end? Doing this exposes the tip of the barrel...Not sure if that would affect the sound?

Push them on til they just DON'T obscure the small vent hole in the side of the barrel. That should be fine. Leaves around 3mm of the barrel exposed.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #3,610 of 4,058
Guys thanks for all the suggestions i have tried everything but the fit is unberarable...They are so uncomfortable...Feel like my ears are being ripped. Sadly these are not for me.

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #3,611 of 4,058
i've not felt the need to try after market tips with the k3003 but i have used comply's with other earphones and found that they muffled the highs somewhat. do the comply's affect the k3003 in this way?

Not so much. They tame it a little, I would say, and enhance the bass end absolutely. Well worth a try for sure! I love them.

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #3,612 of 4,058
Guys thanks for all the suggestions i have tried everything but the fit is unberarable...They are so uncomfortable...Feel like my ears are being ripped. Sadly these are not for me.

that's unfortunate. lots of other options out there tho. all the best.

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #3,613 of 4,058
Not so much. They tame it a little, I would say, and enhance the bass end absolutely. Well worth a try for sure! I love them.

i like the treble and air that i get with the stock tips, and wouldn't want that "tamed" at all. different strokes as they say.

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #3,614 of 4,058
Hi, can anyone please give me some comparison between the K3003i and the Sony XBA-Z5 and the ATH-E70 from Audio Technica if possible? I am having a chance to grab a very good deal at about the same price for either of them and I can only afford one :frowning2: (a second-hand k3003i, a discounted Z5 and a brand new pair of E70). Which one has more neutrality, clarity and balance? I am really obsessed with clarity and balance tbh.

Thanks, Ling.

Sep 20, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #3,615 of 4,058
  Hi, can anyone please give me some comparison between the K3003i and the Sony XBA-Z5 and the ATH-E70 from Audio Technica if possible? I am having a chance to grab a very good deal at about the same price for either of them and I can only afford one :frowning2: (a second-hand k3003i, a discounted Z5 and a brand new pair of E70). Which one has more neutrality, clarity and balance? I am really obsessed with clarity and balance tbh.

Thanks, Ling.

Ling,
  So, here would be my perception; worth a grain of salt:

XBA-Z5: Great headphone.  A little more mellow but not dark; the typical Sony sound.  Has a bass emphasis, so they're fun still
K3003i: Great headphone.  Has the filters to tweak sound, and unlike so many others with filters/sound adjusters, the three that AKG give you are actually good sound for whichever you choose.  Great clarity, more than the Z5, IMO.  The bass is great, but by no means overpowering to the point of ruining the balance.
E70: Great headphone.  Of the three, I would say that these strive more for balanced sound.  The other two spent a lot of time getting a great bass sound for the consumers while still maintaining the "audiophile-grade" signature.  E70 is a little more warm than the K3003i, which can make the K3003 deceive you into thinking it has more clarity.  I prefer the highs of the K3003 because i like sparkle up top.  The mids of the E70 though, will one-up K3003; again, IMO.

But note, all three have "great headphone" status.  So, there really isn't a wrong choice here.  The K3003 has a more unique sound, so there are some that don't really go for it as much, but then there are some that its the end-game.  I will add that the FLC8S is a fantastically clear set that i can't speak highly enough about, and one well worth considering if you're leaning toward the K3003i.  I can tell you right now that, whichever one you choose, you're going to be left always thinking about the other two and the what-ifs.  Pick one and try your best to be satisfied.  Otherwise, you can sell either of these three pretty easily, allowing you to switch again and again.

Hope that helps a tiny bit.  Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back