AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Jun 16, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #2,972 of 4,058
Ivabign, curious to know your thoughts on the K3s after some listening. I normally wear medium tips on my other IEMs.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #2,973 of 4,058
Ivabign, curious to know your thoughts on the K3s after some listening. I normally wear medium tips on my other IEMs.

Fit is an issue so far - I am using the largest tips and staying stable in the ear has not come easy - I have tried "over-the-ear" and the fit is better, but the remote is at my chin....

....and while I can tell this is an extremely competent earphone, I am wondering if it isn't too far from my preferred signature. Something in the way I really enjoyed the PFE-232, but in the end it wasn't getting enough head time to warrant the expense.

Time will tell.

Gorgeous unboxing experience - this is extremely classy equipment.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #2,974 of 4,058
Fit is an issue so far - I am using the largest tips and staying stable in the ear has not come easy - I have tried "over-the-ear" and the fit is better, but the remote is at my chin....

....and while I can tell this is an extremely competent earphone, I am wondering if it isn't too far from my preferred signature. Something in the way I really enjoyed the PFE-232, but in the end it wasn't getting enough head time to warrant the expense.

Time will tell.

I am using the large Spin-Fit tips and find them to provide a comfortable and stable seal. I did cut a small ring from an old tip and use it as a spacer to prevent the Spin-Fit from going on so far that the tip will no longer "revolve". Might be worth a try.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #2,975 of 4,058

Time will tell.

Hey, I will take it off your hands if you decide to sell.. This is the pair you recently bought for $560 right?

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #2,976 of 4,058
  I wouldn't call the white filter 'transparent', the treble is boosted a lot, but since they are somehow non-aggressive they are not piercing your ears. It's a characteristic of these IEMs to have these boosted highs that sound somehow soft and seductive (although not natural) and the reason I still listen to them. Sort of a guilty pleasure.

OTOH they do reveal distortion in the recordings like nothing else. Quite the opposite of IE8.

^agreed
biggrin.gif

if the k3 sounds 'piercing' with the grey filters(reference) it would be because of badly mastered/loudness war type recordings

i use the K3 with my dx90 on well mastered 'vinyl rips' from rock albums well produced and the sound is fantastic - no harshness at all

change your playlists, not your iem
wink_face.gif

^agreed again
biggrin.gif
, with good quality recording, its sound awesome, but less than that is a mess
tongue.gif

I've try DSD album of Celine Dion & Mariah Carey on Lotoo Paw Gold & SonyD100, very seductive
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #2,977 of 4,058
They will always sound good with vinyl recordings because of the restrictions regarding the amount high frequencies in cutting vinyl (enormous power requirements needed for doing that without damaging the equipment).

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #2,978 of 4,058

Time will tell.

Sorry about the fit issues. I was looking for a more linear, extended treble type of sound after having the Roxanne's which cover the dark, thicker sound (with a laid back treble). So, this fits the bill in that regard. I guess time will tell with me also.

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #2,979 of 4,058

Sorry about the fit issues. I was looking for a more linear, extended treble type of sound after having the Roxanne's which cover the dark, thicker sound (with a laid back treble). So, this fits the bill in that regard. I guess time will tell with me also.

After an afternoon of tip-rolling and gyrations I have come to the conclusion that: These are great headphones - perhaps brighter than I prefer, but I could perhaps live with that if the fit was great - I will be putting them up in the FS thread sometime today for what I paid - $560 shipped CONUS + Paypal....

C'est la vie 
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #2,980 of 4,058
If the tips correctly fit, the K3003 aren't bright. They are powerful dark.

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #2,981 of 4,058

That's not a description commonly associated with the K3003 - still, I got a complete seal - it was just tenuous at best.

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #2,982 of 4,058

That's not a description commonly associated with the K3003 - still, I got a complete seal - it was just tenuous at best.

Yes, this is pity

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #2,983 of 4,058

After an afternoon of tip-rolling and gyrations I have come to the conclusion that: These are great headphones - perhaps brighter than I prefer, but I could perhaps live with that if the fit was great - I will be putting them up in the FS thread sometime today for what I paid - $560 shipped CONUS + Paypal....

C'est la vie 
frown.gif

Well, that's too bad. But I would do the same thing in your case. Its not as if you have nothing to listen to music through in their absence
tongue.gif
, and you now know what they sound like. Off to another lucky soul.

I'm managing to get mine to fit. It takes some pain and effort but its workable. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #2,984 of 4,058

Try it with comply, it gave me good seal and upper mids/lower treble is not bothering me any more.

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #2,985 of 4,058

Try it with comply, it gave me good seal and upper mids/lower treble is not bothering me any more.

I use the largest comply (2 different types - rounded & bullet shaped) and they just don't expand at the ear opening enough to seal well - if it had more length - like a P series, I could maybe get them to go - but honestly when it becomes too much work..... 
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back