AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Feb 15, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #2,476 of 4,058
As you know the only validation that matters is your ears.  Who cares what another thinks of this or that IEM?  If you think the K3 is, "Not a bad iem after all" then it is not.   If we all like the same things, there would be 1 iem, 1 restaurant and we would all fight over the same women.  Thankfully we don't :p

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #2,477 of 4,058
which tips sound best with your K3003 ?

also , do you see any improvement when the K3s are amped ?

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #2,478 of 4,058
I listened to my K3003 with an AK100 MkII this weekend.  There was noticeable more clarity than with my iphone 6 (not surprised), but the sound was very.. digital.

Also, my 846 are sold.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #2,479 of 4,058
  I listened to my K3003 with an AK100 MkII this weekend.  There was noticeable more clarity than with my iphone 6 (not surprised), but the sound was very.. digital.

Also, my 846 are sold.

846 didn't stand a chance , huh ?
tongue.gif

did you try the DX90 ? you already paid 1000$ for the K3 , what's 350$ more ?
biggrin.gif

the K3003 is such an enjoyable iem , i changed back to the reference filters - sublime.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #2,481 of 4,058
  need to try the cayin n6 :wink:

a comparison between the dx90 and the N6 would be most welcome , indeed

although i wanna hold on to my dx90 some more before upgrading ( i bought it just 2,5 months back and i have not gotten bored of it)

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #2,482 of 4,058

a comparison between the dx90 and the N6 would be most welcome , indeed

although i wanna hold on to my dx90 some more before upgrading ( i bought it just 2,5 months back and i have not gotten bored of it)

I funded a Geek Wave 64 with DAC upgrade... well... let's see how long the wait will be before I actually receive it.

Still curious about DX90, but im waiting for a good price on a new one.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #2,483 of 4,058

Also, my 846 are sold.

I could say exactly the same about my iPod Touch gen. 4. It's probably "the Apple house sound". I also find it a bit more forward, more in my face, overall slightly more sharp-edged and a bit more narrow sound stage. The more sharp-edged/clearer sound effect can also be had with lower bit rates; 96 kbps, 128 kbps or so. That digital sound can actually be surprisingly enjoyable at times! 
eek.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #2,485 of 4,058
I have Fiio X5 and Chord Hugo. K3 gives a much better sound in terms of clarity, sound stage, and transparent when it is driven by Chord Hugo. I listen to Kenny Rankin , Because of you, it sounds so real. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #2,486 of 4,058
  I have Fiio X5 and Chord Hugo. K3 gives a much better sound in terms of clarity, sound stage, and transparent when it is driven by Chord Hugo. I listen to Kenny Rankin , Because of you, it sounds so real. 

That's some nice audio gear there!

What IEMs have you compared the K3 to?  

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #2,487 of 4,058
looking for some info on the UERM on some threads here , i came across this review/comparison by SoundFreaq - well, it looks like i am fine with the K3003 for now

AKG 3003 and the UERM

I don't think this one is about one being better quality. For my tastes, I prefer the 3003. I could see some preferring the UERM.

The UERM actually sounds more colored to me. It's thicker, and has a more present and immediate, powerful presentation. I found the 3003 to to be bigger, more open and able to breath, more air, and a larger soundstage. The 3003 is a bit more laid back, but the timbral accuracy and organic presentation win me over. Think sweet purity. The 3003 is a smidgeon brighter, but not in a bad way. I feel the UERM a tiny but stuffy sometimes with its surprisingly robust bass, and more immediate presentation. I find the 3003 to be a bit more accurate and refined all the way across the FR. And that to me, is more engaging. I am swept into the purity of the music with the 3003. I connect with it more. It's a more transparent window into the music, and pulls on your emotions moreso than the UERM. But I think the fun presentation of the UERM would call a lot of people's names. Depending on your genres, you may prefer that dash of color and immediacy. I like huge, immersive soundstages, with breathing room. That's the 3003 for me. 

So about the bass, the UERM is more robust and voluptuous. They both dig deep and have a nice punch. The UERM is more robust and colored. 

3003 is more refined and organic all the was across the FR. So that would be the biggest difference in the mids. Again, the UERM is more colored and immediate in the midrange, but the 3003 is more accurate and organic, and a bit bigger and relaxed due to the soundstage. Bass too follows this same convention. While the UERM is more voluptuous, the 3003 bass is a bit more accurate, with nice texture, and more space to breath. Take that to the highs as well. 

The 3003 is a bit brighter up top. I would say from about 8K and up, there is a small and noticeable difference that the 3003 has more treble by just a db or two. I think there's a touch more energy at 9-10k on the 3003, but it's negligible. And to my ears, more accurate. Even bright material on the UERM is pretty polite.

The UERM isolates more, and has a very secure fit, but it's also a lot to cram in your ears. I prefer the much smaller, and to me, more comfortable and smaller footprint of the 3003 on my ear. The 3003 have no security issues - as in it's still a tight fit. Just not too tight. I don't need to adjust them like I do the 1plus2. 

Those are the biggest differences.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the K3003 soundstage must be quite good i guess , another folk i asked he said he found it better , soundstage-wise to his K10....

ps : i also read again today the K3003-UERM comparison by james4444 (fantastic write-up) and it also showed K3 as a 'better' iem

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #2,489 of 4,058
I decided to try the white highs filter tonight. Let me say right off the back, that I'm not a big "highs" person, but I do realize that's were most of the transparency and clarity comes from in the sound spectrum. And harsh highs will have me running for the hills (that's why I could never appreciate the technical qualities of the Sony EX-1000 or EX-600). So I was really reluctant to try the any filter that boost the highs, but I am pleasantly surprised regarding the white filters of the K3003. It's as if the highs filter takes me right to the edge of what I would consider ear piercing treble, then stops right before pushing me over into the canyon. Now, I do have to worry about turning the volume up too much, but I never do that anyway. The sound isn't much different than the referenced filters excpet that vocals sound closer and more detailed. The soundstage becomes a bit more forward, and piano and horn instruments really shine and sound more natural. Bass doesn't seem to be affected by the highs filter boost. Surprisingly, I almost like the white filter s as much as the reference ones. I felt that the black bass filters muddied up the bass a bit too much. This sound is glorious!!! I'm going to test the white filters with other  DAPs to see if it keeps performing respectfully. 

And it's also time to hear how the K3003 compares to one of its competitors in price range. So yes, the Siren Angie by JH Audio will make her appearance tomorrow. If will be interesting to hear how these two universal IEM behemoths battle each other. Can a three-driver hybrid of this high caliber beat out a new 8-BA universal? I'll let you know some results as soon as possible. This ought to be a fun battle. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #2,490 of 4,058
looking for some info on the UERM on some threads here , i came across this review/comparison by SoundFreaq - well, it looks like i am fine with the K3003 for now

AKG 3003 and the UERM

I don't think this one is about one being better quality. For my tastes, I prefer the 3003. I could see some preferring the UERM.

The UERM actually sounds more colored to me. It's thicker, and has a more present and immediate, powerful presentation. I found the 3003 to to be bigger, more open and able to breath, more air, and a larger soundstage. The 3003 is a bit more laid back, but the timbral accuracy and organic presentation win me over. Think sweet purity. The 3003 is a smidgeon brighter, but not in a bad way. I feel the UERM a tiny but stuffy sometimes with its surprisingly robust bass, and more immediate presentation. I find the 3003 to be a bit more accurate and refined all the way across the FR. And that to me, is more engaging. I am swept into the purity of the music with the 3003. I connect with it more. It's a more transparent window into the music, and pulls on your emotions moreso than the UERM. But I think the fun presentation of the UERM would call a lot of people's names. Depending on your genres, you may prefer that dash of color and immediacy. I like huge, immersive soundstages, with breathing room. That's the 3003 for me. 

So about the bass, the UERM is more robust and voluptuous. They both dig deep and have a nice punch. The UERM is more robust and colored. 

3003 is more refined and organic all the was across the FR. So that would be the biggest difference in the mids. Again, the UERM is more colored and immediate in the midrange, but the 3003 is more accurate and organic, and a bit bigger and relaxed due to the soundstage. Bass too follows this same convention. While the UERM is more voluptuous, the 3003 bass is a bit more accurate, with nice texture, and more space to breath. Take that to the highs as well. 

The 3003 is a bit brighter up top. I would say from about 8K and up, there is a small and noticeable difference that the 3003 has more treble by just a db or two. I think there's a touch more energy at 9-10k on the 3003, but it's negligible. And to my ears, more accurate. Even bright material on the UERM is pretty polite.

The UERM isolates more, and has a very secure fit, but it's also a lot to cram in your ears. I prefer the much smaller, and to me, more comfortable and smaller footprint of the 3003 on my ear. The 3003 have no security issues - as in it's still a tight fit. Just not too tight. I don't need to adjust them like I do the 1plus2. 

Those are the biggest differences.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the K3003 soundstage must be quite good i guess , another folk i asked he said he found it better , soundstage-wise to his K10....

ps : i also read again today the K3003-UERM comparison by james4444 (fantastic write-up) and it also showed K3 as a 'better' iem

it's always about which is best but there is no best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back