AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Jun 20, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #1,726 of 4,058
  Hey guys I wanted to join this thread because I'm very interested in getting a pair of K3003's.

I've recently acquired the IE800 and it's really impressed me. Doing thing I never thought was possible with IEM's. Am I correct to assume that the K3003 is even more neutral with less bass coloration and more air/treble? If that is the case, that's what I'm looking for. I'm a pretty hardcore neutral head (if there is such a thing).

My other conundrum is that I've been offered a pretty awesome deal on a pair of K3003i's. I really want the non-mic version but I don't want to pay $300+ more for them. What do you guys think? Is the mic that annoying? Should I just pay more for the non-mic version? Is there any sound difference? I know that there technically shouldn't be, but can anyone confirm the mic/non-mic version sounds exactly the same from first hand experience?

Thanks

I have been using the K3003 for the better part of a year now.  Its treble is beautifully energetic and bright.  Thus, on this front alone, I doubt if it can be strictly called neutral.

The K3003's mids and vocals are natural sounding but a bit boring in comparison with the likes of the FitEar TG334 and Dita Answer Truth edition.  

Bass can be awesome and large.  Again, I don't know if it qualifies as neutral.

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #1,727 of 4,058
  Hey guys I wanted to join this thread because I'm very interested in getting a pair of K3003's.

I've recently acquired the IE800 and it's really impressed me. Doing thing I never thought was possible with IEM's. Am I correct to assume that the K3003 is even more neutral with less bass coloration and more air/treble? If that is the case, that's what I'm looking for. I'm a pretty hardcore neutral head (if there is such a thing).

My other conundrum is that I've been offered a pretty awesome deal on a pair of K3003i's. I really want the non-mic version but I don't want to pay $300+ more for them. What do you guys think? Is the mic that annoying? Should I just pay more for the non-mic version? Is there any sound difference? I know that there technically shouldn't be, but can anyone confirm the mic/non-mic version sounds exactly the same from first hand experience?

Thanks

Yes correct, it would seem more neutral when compared directly with IE800. The mic does not bother me at all as its really light and small. 

Jun 20, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #1,728 of 4,058
I have been using the K3003 for the better part of a year now.  Its treble is beautifully energetic and bright.  Thus, on this front alone, I doubt if it can be strictly called neutral.

The K3003's mids and vocals are natural sounding but a bit boring in comparison with the likes of the FitEar TG334 and Dita Answer Truth edition.  

Bass can be awesome and large.  Again, I don't know if it qualifies as neutral.

I agree. The K3003 definitely has extra treble emphasis. I'd recommend M-13 trying a few pairs of the Zero Audio Tenore. There are a lot of us now that find them to be the most neutral iem available right now at any price. The thing is, quality control isn't so good, so some pairs sound a bit different. I've gone through quite a few pairs myself, but now I have two very reference perfect pairs and couldn't be happier.

Also M-13, have you considered the UERM? That one is more neutral imo.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #1,729 of 4,058
seems to me that audiophiles use the term neutral subjectively. anyways all i know is that i'm happy with the k3003's sound and have no desire to side-grade.

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #1,730 of 4,058
Having had both, there is no difference in SQ between mic and non-mic models of the k3003. Here in Aus moreover there is no difference in price between the two. I prefer non mic only because a) I have no need of a mic using it only from a DAP and b) I found that the mic would occasionally catch on my collar.

Been using mine for two and a half years and still marvelling at its capabilities...

Regards,

Giles

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #1,731 of 4,058
seems to me that audiophiles use the term neutral subjectively. anyways all i know is that i'm happy with the k3003's sound and have no desire to side-grade.

When used to describe sound perception, it's inherently subjective since no two ears hear exactly the same thing.

However, at about $50-60, the Zero Audio Tenores (and Ostry KC06) are an easy recommendation for those occasions when you don't want to take your K3003 along.

Jun 21, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #1,732 of 4,058
got no interest in downgrading either. :wink: but seriously, i'm content with the k3003. wish i could say the same for my other cans.

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #1,733 of 4,058
Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations you guys. I have some hard thinking to do. I've been offered a K3003i at a very nice price, so I might just pull the trigger and try to live with the mic. I will not be using the mic or remote control at all. It will just be there.

As for customs like UERM. I cannot as I've recently gained a lot of weight and I'm working on losing it. My earcanal shape will change if I'm successful in my diet and I will need to reshell. Once I can maintain a healthy low weight then I will definitely get the UERM.

What are you opinions on the Noble 4? I hear it's pretty darn neutral tool.

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #1,734 of 4,058
  Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations you guys. I have some hard thinking to do. I've been offered a K3003i at a very nice price, so I might just pull the trigger and try to live with the mic. I will not be using the mic or remote control at all. It will just be there.

As for customs like UERM. I cannot as I've recently gained a lot of weight and I'm working on losing it. My earcanal shape will change if I'm successful in my diet and I will need to reshell. Once I can maintain a healthy low weight then I will definitely get the UERM.

I think you'd be pretty pleased with the K3003i coming from the IE800, as I've done the same and find the impressive soundstage of the K3003i (compared to the IE800) and the less "dark" sound overall to be a nice contrast to the IE800. The mic does get irritating at times, I won't lie (mostly due to the way the mic/controls face when you turn the cable a certain way), but it doesn't really bother me enough to seek out a non-mic version of the K3003, so I'm pretty okay with it. Plus, I can use it on my MBA/iPhone/etc if I ever want to place phonecalls/Skype calls/etc. too (especially since Sennheiser didn't seem to release their "iPhone control/mic" cable for the IE800.)

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #1,735 of 4,058

Wasn't too impressed with the Noble 4, especially compared to the K3003 and UERM. It's pretty neutral but it's FR is just skewed oddly imo. Mids are a little warm, and I'm not sure if extension on both ends is good enough.

Jun 27, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #1,736 of 4,058
Hi everyone,

I just got a new pair of K3003s. Prior to this I had Earsonics SM3v1, which are not as sturdy as I hoped (they still work, but not sometimes they break apart and I have to reassemble them) and so I required a new set of headphones.  I just received the K3003s, but my first impression of the sound is that it isn't as clear and beautifully staged as the sound my SM3s produce. Now, given all the enthusiastic posts on this forum, I thought that this may have something to do with the fact that my k3003s have not yet been properly burnt in. Could that be the case? I did read that they require a long time to burn in. Will the sound change a lot upon burning in? Will it open up upon burning in? Or is it just that I have gotten used and attached to the sound of my SM3s so much that I may have to "learn" the sound of the k3003s?

Jun 27, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #1,737 of 4,058
  Hi everyone,

I just got a new pair of K3003s. Prior to this I had Earsonics SM3v1, which are not as sturdy as I hoped (they still work, but not sometimes they break apart and I have to reassemble them) and so I required a new set of headphones.  I just received the K3003s, but my first impression of the sound is that it isn't as clear and beautifully staged as the sound my SM3s produce. Now, given all the enthusiastic posts on this forum, I thought that this may have something to do with the fact that my k3003s have not yet been properly burnt in. Could that be the case? I did read that they require a long time to burn in. Will the sound change a lot upon burning in? Will it open up upon burning in? Or is it just that I have gotten used and attached to the sound of my SM3s so much that I may have to "learn" the sound of the k3003s?

I don't think it's burn in. It's been a long time since I owned the sm3, but I can tell you that they are definitely voiced very different from the k3003. I would give it a bit of time for you to get accustomed to their signature since the sm3 is totally different. Also, make sure you are getting a proper fit/seal from your iems. As far as source, I definitely prefer them to be amped as they don't seem to sound quite right through my portable sources.

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #1,738 of 4,058
  I don't think it's burn in. It's been a long time since I owned the sm3, but I can tell you that they are definitely voiced very different from the k3003. I would give it a bit of time for you to get accustomed to their signature since the sm3 is totally different. Also, make sure you are getting a proper fit/seal from your iems. As far as source, I definitely prefer them to be amped as they don't seem to sound quite right through my portable sources.

Many thanks wormsdriver, that's very useful input. I guess I will have to get used to it, tweak the seal a bit and perhaps add an amp. As for source, I use a Cowon J3. Is there any portable amp you would suggest? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back