AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Sep 4, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #692 of 4,058
Part 3 is of Rin's data has been added. 

Rin suggests the K3003's bass boost is similar to that of the EPH-100 granted both are well sealed. Rin's simulator works more accurate with IEM than even Sonove's and he made sure there was no leakage unlike SV and GoldenEars. No, the IE8 doesn't have the same boost, the IE8 will graph to about 15db on Rin's data. The bass response is actually more subbass oriented than midbass. 

Rin suggests the smallest tips possible to get close to the insertion depth wanted by the manufacturer. As it's implied by the size of the housing the K3003 doesn't insert to the ear's 2nd bend or reference plane. AKG actually intended these to be about 3mm away from it but you also have to be sure to not be too shallow. The shallower the insertion from the implied depth, you get less subbass, less treble and more midhighs. 

Rin suggests driving it with the least resistance possible, so use low output impedance sources. While the results aren't terrible the boost in the midhighs and treble would alter the balance already attained by the reference filter and subbass isn't needed which is also boosted by resistance. 

He showed how terribly awful that bass filter is. The treble filter doesn't look too great either, I can see how some may see it as more revealing though. 

AVOID blocking that vent on the nozzle, it's what keeps the bass boost in check and avoids over-pressurization of the ear-canal. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #693 of 4,058
^ Great read, thanks! He sure put a lot of effort into covering all the bases.

I agree regarding filters, the reference filter sounds best to my ears by quite some margin.

Tbo, I'm not hearing my K3003 as bassy as the EPH-100, but that may well be explainable with differences in fit and seal.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #694 of 4,058
Yeah the K3003 has tiny bit less and you are perhaps using a more shallow insertion, while the EPH100 easily goes in deep. 

In terms of bass, just some of the ones you know. 
IE8>EPH100>K3003>W4>GR10>EX1000

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #695 of 4,058
Quote:
Part 3 is of Rin's data has been added. 

Rin suggests the K3003's bass boost is similar to that of the EPH-100 granted both are well sealed. Rin's simulator works more accurate with IEM than even Sonove's and he made sure there was no leakage unlike SV and GoldenEars. No, the IE8 doesn't have the same boost, the IE8 will graph to about 15db on Rin's data. The bass response is actually more subbass oriented than midbass. 

Rin suggests the smallest tips possible to get close to the insertion depth wanted by the manufacturer. As it's implied by the size of the housing the K3003 doesn't insert to the ear's 2nd bend or reference plane. AKG actually intended these to be about 3mm away from it but you also have to be sure to not be too shallow. The shallower the insertion from the implied depth, you get less subbass, less treble and more midhighs. 

Rin suggests driving it with the least resistance possible, so use low output impedance sources. While the results aren't terrible the boost in the midhighs and treble would alter the balance already attained by the reference filter and subbass isn't needed which is also boosted by resistance. 

He showed how terribly awful that bass filter is. The treble filter doesn't look too great either, I can see how some may see it as more revealing though. 

AVOID blocking that vent on the nozzle, it's what keeps the bass boost in check and avoids over-pressurization of the ear-canal. 

Interesting that he finds the bass filter not very good and does not recommend it. I've always thought the bass filter was pretty poor—making low frequencies not only more pronounced, but also fairly muddy, and literally killing higher freqs. At times using that filter reminded me of the Earsonics SM3, an IEM I found pretty flawed. I can see the similarities between the bass filter and the EPH-100, another IEM I didn't quite enjoy, though from memory the K3003 with the bass filter reminded me more of the SM3.

I've also always thought the reference filter to be by far the best sounding of the three, though I find the treble filter, specially with some (but not all) classical orchestral works, does a pretty decent job.

Quote:
He sure put a lot of effort into covering all the bases.

Yes, it seems he did.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #696 of 4,058
K3003i just arrived today and boy its sound much better than my ex1000 and Shure p500.. Way way ahead. I am still recovering from the wound of price tag. I am using the high boost filter as this is the closest reference to th900 (my favourite headphone). I am amaze that such a small device can have such a huge full sound.. Impressive.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #697 of 4,058
So you prefer them with the high filter as well? For me the sound was more coherent with that piece but there's a trade off as you are more likely to get sibilance in tracks and it destroys bad recordings :).

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #698 of 4,058
So you prefer them with the high filter as well? For me the sound was more coherent with that piece but there's a trade off as you are more likely to get sibilance in tracks and it destroys bad recordings :).

Yeah, high boost is the way to go. It has a wow factor and bass is pretty darn good. The sub bass is what I like best, it rumbles like earth quake in my ear drum. Frankly the high has just the right amount. Reference filter is a little lacking in the bass region but many people like it.. I like my bass rumble like the mother space ship hover pass slowly in space with a deep bass humm. I just plug into my main amp (zana duex) and was blown away by Nicholas gunn flight over the north rim.

Here is what I can find in YouTube, but YouTube quality is not that good though.. Anyway I am listening to the cd version now...
http://m.youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=m9xtks7nq#/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #699 of 4,058
Quote:
Yeah, high boost is the way to go. It has a wow factor and bass is pretty darn good. The sub bass is what I like best, it rumbles like earth quake in my ear drum. Frankly the high has just the right amount. Reference filter is a little lacking in the bass region but many people like it.. I like my bass rumble like the mother space ship hover pass slowly in space with a deep bass humm. I just plug into my main amp (zana duex) and was blown away by Nicholas gunn flight over the north rim.
Here is what I can find in YouTube, but YouTube quality is not that good though.. Anyway I am listening to the cd version now...
http://m.youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=m9xtks7nq#/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US

If you are a bass lover I have no doubt you'd have loved the Tralucent 1plus2s :wink:. So far these are the best IEMs I've heard when you are concerned with bass. I don't see them doing anything wrong to be honest. Treble is very detailed and smooth, mid-range has a nice thickness and is upfront. Large sound stage.

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #700 of 4,058
If you are a bass lover I have no doubt you'd have loved the Tralucent 1plus2s :wink:. So far these are the best IEMs I've heard when you are concerned with bass. I don't see them doing anything wrong to be honest. Treble is very detailed and smooth, mid-range has a nice thickness and is upfront. Large sound stage.

Interesting.. I never knew this iem exist until now.. Thanks for introducing.. I see that u have one, how is it compare with the high boost filter of k3003? I am definately interested, is the seal better than k3003? That k3003 seal is rather poor compare to say Shure 535 with comply foams. By the way, k3003 don't sound good with comply foam, it lost quite a lot of clarity. What tip are u using with k3003?

Thanks in advance

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #701 of 4,058
Quote:
Interesting.. I never knew this iem exist until now.. Thanks for introducing.. I see that u have one, how is it compare with the high boost filter of k3003? I am definately interested, is the seal better than k3003? That k3003 seal is rather poor compare to say Shure 535 with comply foams. By the way, k3003 don't sound good with comply foam, it lost quite a lot of clarity. What tip are u using with k3003?
Thanks in advance

Well I don't want to steer you down the wrong path. IMO the detail is all there in the treble just it isn't as bright/edgy as the AKG3003. Its smoother (I find this to be more refined treble). I actually got a pretty good seal with the AKGs so they are on par in that regard. The Tralucents may have a slightly better isolation but nothing large. I was using my JVC tips purchased from ebay with them. The tips didn't fit the AKGs the best but gave me the best sound and seal when they were properly put on the IEM. I was lucky enough to borrow bizkits AKG30003s and at the same time got an offer to demo the new Tralucents. Within hours I found myself preferring the Tralucents to the AKGs. I was actually gonna buy the AKGs until I got to spend time with the Tralucents. I'll provide the link to the  Tralucent thread so you can check it out.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623514/new-custom-iem-company-tralucent-audio

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #702 of 4,058
Well I don't want to steer you down the wrong path. IMO the detail is all there in the treble just it isn't as bright/edgy as the AKG3003. Its smoother (I find this to be more refined treble). I actually got a pretty good seal with the AKGs so they are on par in that regard. The Tralucents may have a slightly better isolation but nothing large. I was using my JVC tips purchased from ebay with them. The tips didn't fit the AKGs the best but gave me the best sound and seal when they were properly put on the IEM. I was lucky enough to borrow bizkits AKG30003s and at the same time got an offer to demo the new Tralucents. Within hours I found myself preferring the Tralucents to the AKGs. I was actually gonna buy the AKGs until I got to spend time with the Tralucents. I'll provide the link to the  Tralucent thread so you can check it out.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623514/new-custom-iem-company-tralucent-audio

Thanks I am heading over there to check it out. I am definitely interested, I actually wanted to get fitear to go 334 but was out of stock so I pull the trigger on k3003 out of limited choice for a universal. Now that this tralucent seems like another good candidate + I love my bass kinda of guy here.. I hope this tralucent can get me a little closer th 900. Powerful deep bass with great clarity and a huge sound stage is what I am looking for.. My reference point for bass is LCD-3 and th900, they both produce power deep bass, I hope to get that iem that resemble that bass qty and quality irregardless of cost. Dang why is all these stuff so expensive (still licking my wound from k3003 purchase. Anyway thanks Lee.

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #703 of 4,058
Quote:
Thanks I am heading over there to check it out. I am definitely interested, I actually wanted to get fitear to go 334 but was out of stock so I pull the trigger on k3003 out of limited choice for a universal. Now that this tralucent seems like another good candidate + I love my bass kinda of guy here.. I hope this tralucent can get me a little closer th 900. Powerful deep bass with great clarity and a huge sound stage is what I am looking for.. My reference point for bass is LCD-3 and th900, they both produce power deep bass, I hope to get that iem that resemble that bass qty and quality irregardless of cost. Dang why is all these stuff so expensive (still licking my wound from k3003 purchase. Anyway thanks Lee.

Well to be honest the bass on the Tralucents is the closest I've gotten to full-size headphone like bass yet it has the extension known to IEMs. So its like a combination of both worlds. There are songs where you just feel the bass (the texture and all) that just amazes me. Its got this sort of intimacy I'm not use to. Its funny how distracting it can be (in a good way) yet it doesn't overpower the treble or mid-range....

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #704 of 4,058
Quote:
K3003i just arrived today and boy its sound much better than my ex1000 and Shure p500.. Way way ahead. I am still recovering from the wound of price tag. I am using the high boost filter as this is the closest reference to th900 (my favourite headphone). I am amaze that such a small device can have such a huge full sound.. Impressive.

The better the source and amp you put the k3003i into the better they sound..some headphones stop at a certain point but the k3003i just sound better and better! they sound out of this world with two krell s-150m monoblocks that i use with an adl gt40 dac headphone amp.. I have set them up so they come back through the gt40..I set the akg3003i on the reference setting and the sound is awesome with the krell monoblocks it's balanced and the bass is gorgeous!

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #705 of 4,058
Quality in, quality out.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back