AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Feb 13, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #4,021 of 4,058
I just got these from the sale, and it sounds harsh up top, and here's why. I had to measure these because there's no good measurements out there. It sounds crisp, but it definitely sounds like peak up top creating a crispness to the sound (throwing details at you sounding too forward and unnatural), but not really balanced. Basically the peaks prevents you from raising the volume. Definitely a return as it's a bit peaky response for my taste.

AKG K3003.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #4,022 of 4,058
Since the highs are a bit greater than I prefer, I tried to see if Bass Boost would make the high less noticible. The problem I found with this was, the coherency dropped due to too much bass presence although highs seemed less up front. Bass Boost filter just makes it sound more V-shaped.

You don't expect me to try the high boost filter do you?

Here's a comparison of reference filter to bass boost. Bass Boost filter response in red.
AKG BBoost.jpg

Measurement just with Bass Boost filter
K3003 BBoost filter.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #4,023 of 4,058
I just got these from the sale, and it sounds harsh up top, and here's why. I had to measure these because there's no good measurements out there. It sounds crisp, but it definitely sounds like peak up top creating a crispness to the sound (throwing details at you sounding too forward and unnatural), but not really balanced. Basically the peaks prevents you from raising the volume. Definitely a return as it's a bit peaky response for my taste.

AKG K3003.jpg
what's so bad about these measurements?
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK3003ReferenceFilter.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK3003HighBoostFilter.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK3003BassBoostFilter.pdf

Feb 14, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #4,024 of 4,058
Totally forgot about Innerfidelity as I've been going to In-Ear Fidelity these days as the iems measurements uses the industry standard. It's Crin's website full of iem measurements.

If you look at measurements in this thread of whatever are out there, you'd find variations without consistancy. It's because the rigs are not up to standard.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #4,025 of 4,058
Totally forgot about Innerfidelity as I've been going to In-Ear Fidelity these days as the iems measurements uses the industry standard. It's Crin's website full of iem measurements.

If you look at measurements in this thread of whatever are out there, you'd find variations without consistancy. It's because the rigs are not up to standard.
i'm not aware of an "industry standard" for earphone/iem or headphone measurements. what is the "industry standard" for earphone/iem measurements that you are referring to? do you regard the measurement "rig" that tyll hertsen used as not being "up to standard"? does your own measurement "rig" meet the "industry standard"?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #4,026 of 4,058
See my post all the eay back on the previous page for how the filters work - follow the link, it may clarify your response to them...

Apr 1, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #4,028 of 4,058
Jun 15, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #4,029 of 4,058
I got them from a fellow head-fier, modded to have mmcx connectors

took very long to receive them and while I have ordered as a last attempt to like the sound signature - they are just not my thing.

Will sell them probably, preference is europe, but would ship worldwide, too, pm me if interested

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #4,032 of 4,058
Do these compare favorably to the Sony IER-Z1R?
No.

In what sense are you asking - from a size or cost profile, sure.
In sq? No real comparison as the Sony has a larger dd, a high range driver that reaches higher. Better micro and macro dynamics, better timbre.
I like the k3003 and felt that it was significantly better than most things around in 2012, in 2020, the Z1R comfortably beats it - with the exception of comfort. I have both and the k3003 has been delegated to ipad duties, while the Z1R gets to play with the R2R2000 and the WM1A.

Sep 5, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #4,033 of 4,058
DD6544D7-B6D0-4105-94BB-062975663F8F.jpeg

I am listening to one of the first jazz albums I played on the k3003i. The experience I had listening to this album on the k3003i many years ago changed my life and I feel a need to reflect and pay respect.

It's been a while since I've visited this thread. I would like to pay respect to the K3003i which I purchased as part of my first ever headfi system. My first system was a Shanling M3s (after it just released) and the K3003i. This combo allowed me to truly dive into music and the headfi world. I haven't turned back since. I wouldn't have come this far if it wasn't for this earphone. I have since passed my AKG set to a friend to give him the same experience the k3003i afforded me, but I will never forget what K3003i has done for me and the first moment I heard it. Thank you.

Sep 5, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #4,034 of 4,058
I 20200401_110928.jpgStill love this combo.
I don't have the 3003 but I do sleep with headphones in every night. my bedside rig is and probably always will be an iPhone 5S and Pico Slim. Currently with modded IE800 though. Running EQu on the iPhone and I enjoy the sound of the combo every bit as much as my higher end, reference-y gear.

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #4,035 of 4,058
Hi guys,

I picked up K3003 recently used, I have all the filters but they came in a bag rather than the filter plate.

How do I tell which filters are which?

I have some with black orings and white o-rings.

Can someone help explain?

Edit:

Worked it out.

Black rings = bass.
Grey rings = reference
White rings = treble

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back