AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
Jan 23, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #661 of 1,152
Quote:
I feel exactly the same about the UE6000.  I also returned the D600 because there was something I didn't like about their bass presentation that I couldn't put my finger on.  For my taste, the M-100 is sonic perfection with highs that extend further than UE6000 (not as bright as D600) but are incredibly smooth, detailed mids and some of the tightest, deepest bass I have heard that doesn't overwhelm the music.

Hm, might have to give those a try then. How does the soundstage/imaging compare? and are they much bigger than the UE 6000's? cause the UE's were about the biggest I would want in a portable. Right now I'm messing around with Amperiors and a DT1350 cause I like the portability factor, but I'm not entirely satisfied yet I think.

And yeah, I really think it's the mids that make the bass seem odd on the D600's. Just look at their FR graph, there's like a random abrupt drop right there in the 300hz region. If they had just even slightly better mids (i.e. smoothed out that silly drop) and didn't even bother improving that dubious treble, I think the D600's would've been regarded much more highly than they are; cause the pure bass and sub-bass response on it's own I think is top notch. Unfortunately Denon decided it was ok to butcher the rest of the frequency range, so now I'm stuck waiting for Fostex to release their TH600 to see how those are.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #663 of 1,152
Dang... I figured the most they would've gone for would've been in the old D7000 price tag. Oh well. Still hope to try them some day though, lol.

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #664 of 1,152
Quote:
Hm, might have to give those a try then. How does the soundstage/imaging compare? and are they much bigger than the UE 6000's? cause the UE's were about the biggest I would want in a portable. Right now I'm messing around with Amperiors and a DT1350 cause I like the portability factor, but I'm not entirely satisfied yet I think.

And yeah, I really think it's the mids that make the bass seem odd on the D600's. Just look at their FR graph, there's like a random abrupt drop right there in the 300hz region. If they had just even slightly better mids (i.e. smoothed out that silly drop) and didn't even bother improving that dubious treble, I think the D600's would've been regarded much more highly than they are; cause the pure bass and sub-bass response on it's own I think is top notch. Unfortunately Denon decided it was ok to butcher the rest of the frequency range, so now I'm stuck waiting for Fostex to release their TH600 to see how those are.

M-100 is far superior to UE6000 regarding soundstage and is a much smaller headphone.  In fact, they somehow fold up into the size of a softball!  I also owned and returned Amperior.  I think you REALLY should try the M-100.  Feel free to PM me with any other questions or post on the M-100 thread so we don't clog up this one, thanks.

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #665 of 1,152
Quote:

Shame they're ludicrously uncomfortable and don't live up to their promises of durability. I couldn't wear them for more than an hour without them causing pain, and my wingplates cracked repeatedly during the two month return period.

My M-100s were uncomfortable at first as well.  It's a shame you didn't want to give them more time, because they are now incredibly comfortable, just needed some comfort "burn-in" time.  No quality issues for me, but I can see how the wingplates can break if the shields are tightened too much.

The K267 does look well-built, especially the aluminum construction.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #667 of 1,152
Jan 24, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #669 of 1,152
Quote:
You're not the only one

I am interested in seeing if the prices on the M100 and K267 drop after they've been out for a few months.  I have been fighting the temptation to pull the trigger on the M-100, and in the meantime have tried a few different headphones that cost about 1/2 as much, including the K167 and DT990, but haven't yet found a good solution for portable listening.  I don't think the 167/267 are great on that front, because even though they fold up small, they don't have a case, and can't be worn comfortably around the neck.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #670 of 1,152
Mine just got here and I hate to say they may be going back...

Build quality is sub par compared to any other HP I have tried - the tiesto logo is already coming off the ear (shotty lue job) and the two sides swivel quite differently - one easily and the other requires more force.

Fit is more on ear than over - very close to how the beats pro sits almost over but still on ear. Less clamping force than beats pro and more than k550, which was far more comfortable.

SQ is not fair to judge yet considering the burn in time I had to give the 550s before they sounded nice but I can say I heard no difference between the 3 bass stages... Seems more gimmicky than anything at this point and slider/selector feels cheap.

Guess I'm really disappointed as I thought it would blow beats pro out of the water for portable non-iem use but I can say I'm already seriously considering sending back and getting the 551s for their better build, comfort and soundstage.

Needless to say I'm totally bummed.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #671 of 1,152
Quote:
My M-100s were uncomfortable at first as well.  It's a shame you didn't want to give them more time, because they are now incredibly comfortable, just needed some comfort "burn-in" time.  No quality issues for me, but I can see how the wingplates can break if the shields are tightened too much.

The K267 does look well-built, especially the aluminum construction.

I had them for nearly two months, how long do I need to wear them? 
blink.gif

Also, just an update, the K167 pads officially suck. They are very comfortable over-ears when you first wear them, but eventually become very squishy to the point of being virtually useless on-ears. Swapping them out for Shure SRH750 pads when they arrive.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #672 of 1,152
Quote:

blink.gif

Also, just an update, the K167 pads officially suck. They are very comfortable when you first wear them, but eventually become very squishy to the point of being virtually useless. Swapping them out for Shure SRH750 pads when they arrive.

Let us know if that helps, and how it impacts the sound, I'm considering doing the same.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #673 of 1,152
Quote:

blink.gif

Also, just an update, the K167 pads officially suck. They are very comfortable over-ears when you first wear them, but eventually become very squishy to the point of being virtually useless on-ears. Swapping them out for Shure SRH750 pads when they arrive.

Sigh, now I am getting doubts about if I should even TRY out the K167s.. Well, maybe next time. I am extremely disappointed.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #674 of 1,152
the tiesto logo is already coming off the ear (shotty lue job) and the two sides swivel quite differently

What? The logo is held by clips inside the cup on my K167. Dunno why they'd take an additional shortcut on the K267.

Sigh, now I am getting doubts about if I should even TRY out the K167s.. Well, maybe next time. I am extremely disappointed.

They sound fantastic. They just took a bunch of shortcuts in the build.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #675 of 1,152
What? The logo is held by clips inside the cup on my K167. Dunno why they'd take an additional shortcut on the K267.

Not sure but crap glue for sure.. No clips.. Really feel like the 550 is a better deal by far for the same price. Yuck. I'm so mad!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back