AKG K242HD VS AKG K272HD VS AKG k 702
Jan 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #16 of 23
I have a k272 and Grado RS1, and the comparison to me is that the 272 sounds more "full" and the grado more dynamic and transparent (by which i mean without the excess body created by the closed 272)

the 272 is also a bit restrained and more natural in its presentation, and can sound a bit repressed due to its lesser transparency.

The 272 bass is also more restrained (read: softer), without a midbass hump which makes the grado bass more punchy.

Generally the 272 sound more weighty and even in its response, and the grado more artificially dynamic, and less refined.  

Because it is more even some parts of the music which are difficult to hear on the grado are easier to hear on the 272, even if it is slightly less detailed in areas.

The 272 downside is some grainyness in the upper midrange, which is not present in the RS1.  This may or may not bother you, and will likely not be apparent straight away unless you listen for it.

Lastly the grado's make music sound so much more dynamic, but this dynamism sounds really artificial and can be fatiguing.

You might be able to try all these at a store.  Many stores that sell musical equipment stock akg, sony and shure headphones.  This is probably a better idea than trying to make sense of my ramblings, in fact i recommend that you give no weight to anyones opinion, especially mine, apart for this advice:

Demo or buy second hand. it will save you money, which can be spent on  more equipment
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #20 of 23
IMO...YES. If you look, you can find the 325's for $250ish used...sometimes even less if you are patient. I absolutely love my 325's and I will be receiving a pair of K701's this week so I will be able to do some A/Bing soon. 

Quote:
Is there a big difference between the grados 325i and the 80i? Enough to jump up in price?

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #21 of 23
I'm new to Head-Fi as well and thought I might share my experiences.

I listen to music very similar to yours and have found the Beyerdynamic DT880 to be a great match. I haven't heard the K701/702, but was put off by their bass-lean reputation. I've found the bass performance of the DT880s perfectly suited for Indie rock. The tight and controlled bass is ideal. They emphasize the upper frequencies for sure, but I haven't found that to be a huge problem yet. They have tremendous sound stage and give a great sense of space and presence. It's really a wonderful thing. I can't recommend them enough.

I wouldn't recommend them unamped, though. They loose much of their life and dynamicness. I run them with a Miniwatt N3 tube amp and a V-DAC and it seems to be a good combination.

I'm listening to Tranquilize by the Killers right now, and it sounds amazing. Vocals are very present, with great instrument placement and separation. Really great stuff.

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #22 of 23
damn that sucks.  Do you have any shops that sell guitars? They are worth checking as they sometimes sell headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back