Akg k242 hd questions!
Jun 16, 2011 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

BlommaN

New Head-Fier
Hello! For a few months ago i bought the Akg k242 hd headphone. And i think they sound ''ok'' I'm pretty disappointed about the sound quality if i shall be honest. And i will note that the Akg k242 hd is my first ''real'' headset i have only tried ''gaming'' headset before so i shouldn't be so picky about the sound quality. But at the moment i'm using my k242 hd on my motherboard (Asus - M4N72-E) which is not the best soundsource. So yea my question is will my sound quality improve ALOT, if let's say i buy a Asus Xonar Essence STX.

// BlommaN

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 18
Yes, the sound quality will improve, I cannot stand listening to my 242HD from the internal soundcard of my laptop.

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
Yes, the sound quality will improve, I cannot stand listening to my 242HD from the internal soundcard of my laptop.

What do you think about the 242 HD, when you are using them with a good soundcard / an amp?

Quote:
What did you expect? Maybe you just picked the wrong headphone for your taste?

Yeah maybe you're right, but i have read so much about the 242hd and almost all of the reviews have been more then happy with them!

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
 almost all of the reviews have been more then happy with them!  

The same. I really like them. IMO very versatile set of cans.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 18
Well, what specifically do you not like about them? What dissapoints you? Soundstage? Not enough detail? Too bright/warm/etc.?

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
Well, what specifically do you not like about them? What dissapoints you? Soundstage? Not enough detail? Too bright/warm/etc.?

Well akg k242 hd is my first ''hifi'' headphone so i have not something to compare with. But i would expect a little more bass and better treble then i got at the moment!

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #13 of 18
I have a pair and I think they're rather laid back: that's not necessarily for everyone. Just because a headphone is high quality doesn't mean that you'll necessarily like the sound presentation; try another brand and see what you think.

It's a lot like food: Boston lobsters are loved and considered delicious by many, but I just can't get over the texture and the taste. They're not for me, my palate is different.

Heck, that's a great thing to keep in mind when you're reading anyone's impressions of anything.

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
I have a pair and I think they're rather laid back: that's not necessarily for everyone. Just because a headphone is high quality doesn't mean that you'll necessarily like the sound presentation; try another brand and see what you think.

It's a lot like food: Boston lobsters are loved and considered delicious by many, but I just can't get over the texture and the taste. They're not for me, my palate is different.

Heck, that's a great thing to keep in mind when you're reading anyone's impressions of anything.

Of course i understand that. But my question is if when they are amped if they improve alot in SQ.

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #15 of 18
BlommaN,
My answer to your question is yes. I've had the K242 and when it was plugged directly to my laptop, sound quality is so so. Then I got two different amps, the Total BitHead and the Centrance Dacport, and the K242 sounded much better.
When I let my friend borrow the K242 for a while without the amp, he used for a few days, then he asked to borrow an amp, and he agreed about the sound quality improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back