AKG K240DF quick first impressions... Now with pics!
Oct 31, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #46 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gossling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the isolation/leakage on the K240df? Fine for library usage?

With 2x 600 ohms rating i think you will have to bring your bulky home audio equipment just to make them sound right in the library.

I could be wrong... but i don't know any portable dac/amp that can power those headphones.

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #47 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With 2x 600 ohms rating i think you will have to bring your bulky home audio equipment just to make them sound right in the library.

I could be wrong... but i don't know any portable dac/amp that can power those headphones.

I asked on the full-size headphone amp sub-forum and they recommended small amps that require power outlets. But my main purpose would be using them on a desk job at the library.

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #48 of 149
I have some portable amps that power the K240LP Sextett (600ohm) very well, I would say any quality portable should work just fine, perhaps ask the manufacturer just incase.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #49 of 149
Based on my readings, it sounds as if the K240df may sound similar to the K271 (lean bass, emphasis on neutrality). Can anyone confirm this? Also, I still haven't found any opinions on the K240df's soundstage/imaging. Can anyone fill me in here?

Also, found this on another thread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the contrary, the intention of diffuse field equalization guarantees a non-flat response by design.

HeadWize - Article: A Quick Guide To Headphones (A HeadWize Headphone Guide)

It's supposed to be perceived as being what a flat-response near-field monitor sounds like in a room. Which is not 'flat'.

Popular DF-equalized headphones include the Beyerdynamic DT-990.

Naturally, different vendors interpret the concept in slightly different ways. But, by design, DF-equalized headphone will not measure or sound 'flat'. It's supposed to sound natural.

Do any of you feel the K240DF sounds more "natural" than other studio-grade headphones? Do any of you notice the benefits of the diffuse-field EQ?

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #50 of 149
Quote:

Based on my readings, it sounds as if the K240df may sound similar to the K271 (lean bass, emphasis on neutrality). Can anyone confirm this? Also, I still haven't found any opinions on the K240df's soundstage/imaging. Can anyone fill me in here?

Also, found this on another thread:

Do any of you feel the K240DF sounds more "natural" than other studio-grade headphones? Do any of you notice the benefits of the diffuse-field EQ?

All reference grade studio gear should sound natural due to no colorization and exaggerated bass.. The DT100/900st should also be high on that list.

Nov 1, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #51 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

if you're just talking about volume, an ipod can power the 600 ohm sextett louder than I like to listen. But the bigger the amp, the more glory.

Nov 1, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #52 of 149
Quote:

The soundstage of the DF's is pretty big.
It can both sound upfront and laid back depending on how the music have been made.
A classic example is a song where the vocals are placed just in front of your face making you wonder why you can't feel the breath of the singer.
Drums and guitar/synths just behind it, but spread out a bit more.
Behind that you have the bass, witch surrounds the listener almost completely.
And in the way background there are strings/pads that sound like they are coming from the other side of a stadium, diffuse yet clear and transparent and coming form all directions.
The DF's don't impose a certain kind of sound to the music, but they have the ability to produce the sound you want.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #53 of 149
I'm still not sure about the 'neutrality' of the bass on the 240DF, since there's a lot less than on other hps I've used like the sony v6 and the RP21. I'm wondering... is it way less than the bass on the hd600 for instance...or even the k701? Has anyone heard those as well as the DF? I just listened to the new "Abby Road" with the sony v6 and I really enjoyed the bass with those...more so than with the DF. Don't know which is more 'neutral'/true to source, though.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #54 of 149
^
I think you should try listening to your DF's out of a different amp, the amp in the 0404 is very weak compared to dedicated amps.
The 0404's maximum output power is 20mW, the DF's can deal with 10x that much (I might have misunderstood this compleatly though just reading specs here without understanding them well).
I have discovered when I got more bass out of my DF's, aside form the small chages due to velour pads and new screening.
Yesterday I tried plugging them in to my H/K PM665 again, I hadn't used it since I got the LD mkV.
I got almost no bass at all, and the funny thing is that I don't remember getting much more bass when I first got the mkV.
When using the PM665's bass contour feature I get a more bass than I get by default out of the mkV, but not all that much.
My conclusion is that burn-in is real, and that the mkV's bass increases significantly during it's burn-in period, it must have happened so slowly I didn't notice.
When listening to the DF's directly out of my AudioTrak ProDigy Cube, I get about the same amount of bass as I get out of the PM665, a bit more than directly out of my DAP.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #55 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^
I think you should try listening to your DF's out of a different amp, the amp in the 0404 is very weak compared to dedicated amps.
The 0404's maximum output power is 20mW, the DF's can deal with 10x that much (I might have misunderstood this compleatly though just reading specs here without understanding them well).
I have discovered when I got more bass out of my DF's, aside form the small chages due to velour pads and new screening.
Yesterday I tried plugging them in to my H/K PM665 again, I hadn't used it since I got the LD mkV.
I got almost no bass at all, and the funny thing is that I don't remember getting much more bass when I first got the mkV.
When using the PM665's bass contour feature I get a more bass than I get by default out of the mkV, but not all that much.
My conclusion is that burn-in is real, and that the mkV's bass increases significantly during it's burn-in period, it must have happened so slowly I didn't notice.
When listening to the DF's directly out of my AudioTrak ProDigy Cube, I get about the same amount of bass as I get out of the PM665, a bit more than directly out of my DAP.

It's definitely worth a try. Since they do all the other frequencies so well out of the 0404 I never figured that the weak bass was partly an amp issue. I'll have to see if I can come up with something better that's within my budget. Maybe one of the LD amps?

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #56 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's definitely worth a try. Since they do all the other frequencies so well out of the 0404 I never figured that the weak bass was partly an amp issue. I'll have to see if I can come up with something better that's within my budget. Maybe one of the LD amps?

I'm very satisfied with my mkV, but have read that the AudioGD C2C is better for the money and it's in the same price range.
But LD's costumer service is excellent and that means a lot too.
I'd definitely recommend a solid state amp since I'm sure you want it neutral.
I think these two would be a good amps to read up on.

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #57 of 149
Sorry to bump an old thread.
Just got a mint pair of DFs, and they sound very very good, I'd say better than my expectation.
The first thing I've noticed (owning the K702s) is the total lack of listening fatigue. They sound natural, not as dynamic as the K702s, but with a great detail and accuracy.
They're bass lite, but the bass is well blended. The sound stage is good, though is not as wide as the K702s, and is less 'on-focus'.
Now a question: are these cans ready to be balanced with the stock cable? Do I need a complete recable or just reterminate with a 4 pin connector?

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #58 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to bump an old thread.
Just got a mint pair of DFs, and they sound very very good, I'd say better than my expectation.
The first thing I've noticed (owning the K702s) is the total lack of listening fatigue. They sound natural, not as dynamic as the K702s, but with a great detail and accuracy.
They're bass lite, but the bass is well blended. The sound stage is good, though is not as wide as the K702s, and is less 'on-focus'.
Now a question: are these cans ready to be balanced with the stock cable? Do I need a complete recable or just reterminate with a 4 pin connector?

The balanced set that I purchased used had a completer recable. I had them reterminated with 1/4" since I don't have a balanced amp. Can you give any more comparisons with the 702...the highs, mids, the overall sound signature...warmer, colder, thin, thick, etc.? I always wanted to try the 701/2 one day, although I'm happy with the DF....in all areas but the lows, that is.

Mar 9, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #59 of 149
I'd need some time to compare these two cans, but I'm interested as well.
I'll probably compare them during the week end. The first impression was really good, the bass is lighter on the DFs, but is less "nervous" (I don't know how to explain it), edgy.
I don't find the highs too hot as someone described them. Generally the sound is less dynamic, but suitable for longer listening session.
Anyway I'll compare them during the week end, though it will be unfair: my K702 are balanced and my Roc does his best in balanced mode. I'm quite sure I'd find less differences comparing them in SE, but I don't have a balanced to SE adapter with me.

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #60 of 149
Looking forward to it! I think it was me that wrote that the highs were too hot, but I think it was the recordings...or their translation into digital. I was listening to some old Simon and Garfunkle and Beatles CD's that were really sibilant....not so much the Beatles as the S&G. The original recordings were on vinyl in the late '60's, so maybe that was the problem. I don't remember having the same problem with the remastered Beatles' "Abby Road" and "Sgt. Peppers". I'll probably give them another listen tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back