AKG K240DF quick first impressions... Now with pics!
Mar 12, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #76 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a musician or a sound technician, so sorry if I can't focus the instruments in the right frequencies range
normal_smile .gif

I don't know exactly what you mean with 'upper mids boost': here is the frequency response graph of my balanced K702:
graphCompare.php

Honestly I can't see any boost, on the contrary it look quite flat to me.
Maybe someone can explain me how to read the graph
redface.gif

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that graph. The graph I saw was an older one of the k701 unbalanced. I think there was a boost around 6khz which I think is the upper mids, not treble range. I've also read a lot of posts which mention a spike in the upper mids with the 701/2. Normally if I'm mixing an electric guitar track and it needs more bite I will boost the upper mids...probably around 2.5-4 khz, not the treble. The DF is supposed to be as flat as they come, but you can't always believe what you read. Maybe the 702 balanced is even more flat...though people have told me otherwise.

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #77 of 149
Today I bought the AKG K240 DF, I have to test the DF more but I really like its sound. Also its bass is quite satisfying. I should test it more.
smily_headphones1.gif

My apologies, I love the bass.

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #78 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I bought the AKG K240 DF, I have to test the DF more but I really like its sound. Also its bass is quite satisfying. I should test it more.
smily_headphones1.gif

My apologies, I love the bass.

Yes, test it more...you will be amazed, especially if you have a decent amp. Bur, aren't you coming from the V6? I would think you would find the bass on the DF very lacking after the V6. The v6 is a bit much, but the DF is a bit weak, IMO...in the lows that is.

Mar 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #79 of 149
No seriously, clarity and bass combined with a lifelike sound...

I'm already thinking about keeping or giving away the V6. Weak isn't the right word, try the HD428 and you know what I mean. My HD428 including bass does come alive coupled with power. Otherwise the bass on the HD428 is light and tight. I have to find some deep bass music for testing the DF though.

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #80 of 149
I'm very surprised by these headphones, they get better every day and I've been only listening to them during the last week.
Wonderful match with chamber music, probably better than the K702. The "softer" bass is simply perfect with this music, while the K702s are too punchy.
These cans are all about midrange, the sound stage is "intimate", and every listening session is bliss: I could say I feel much involved by the music and less by my rig.
As DeepFunk said, lifelike sound.
I almost feel I could live with these cans :)
Now a couple of questions: any comparison against the K501s?
Did anyone try the DFs with a tube amp? I'm not a tube guy, and the Roc is plenty of power...but I'd like to try some tubes.

Mar 15, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #81 of 149
I've been a semi-pro musician for over 30 years. The 240DF puts me right in the studio with the musicians. With a good amp the clarity is amazing. Never tried tubes, though, just the LD mkV

Deep Funk: let us know how you make out testing them with some deep bass. I tried some hip hop and found the bass lacking compared to the dt250.

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #82 of 149
Just got the velour pads for the DFs: first impression is not entirely positive. They're definitely more comfortable, but the sound signature is different: they're warmer, more claustrophobic, less airy. They sound like my ATH ES7s now :frowning2:
Anyone else is using these pads and noticed the same things?

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #83 of 149
I'd like to hear my old 240DF through my Decco now... so much more raw power than my old TC7520! Glad to hear that there are still fans of this 'phone out there.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #84 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by phangtonpower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've have had my Df's now for more then 10 years. I originally bought them for mixing purposes way back in my college days, but that didn't fall through. I was wondering if anyone knows had to tighten the elastic bands that adjust the head band?

you can replace them with small elastic haribands, they do the trick rather nicely.

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #85 of 149
I'm working on a list for critical listening regarding the bass on the DF. Lejaz, do you prefer a short list or a long list. I'll definitely include James Brown, Daft Punk, Kyuss, Kagrra and Guns N'Roses. Hip Hop is tricky although it's tempting to add a lot of Tribe Called Quest.

Sorry, I shouldn't forget Bootsy Collins.

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #86 of 149
I don't have much hip hop, but I don't think they did very well with Kanye West's "I Heard em say" or some of Pete Rock's stuff . I'll have a listen to "Kick it" by Tribe C Q and compare to the dt250 (those three artists are about the extent of my hip hop collection). I'm not a bass head, so I really have no complaints about the DF for casual listening...in fact they pretty much kill everything else I've heard. But since I also use them for mixing I have to check the low end with the DT250 which I think has a more realistic sounding bass. Looking forward to which ever list you want to send.

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #87 of 149
I'll do some digging then. I'll post a list in this thread consisting of what I can find in my CD collection.

Regarding the tracks you listened to that didn't sound so good, CD, FLAC or 320 kbps ...?

If on CD or FLAC then the DF might not work with the production of the recording.

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #88 of 149
I just listened to Hydro by Tribe C Q and some other hip hop and I'm surprised how well the DF does with most of the tracks I listened to. The bass on the dt250 is a little fuller and richer, and the DF is on the lean side, but I can enjoy both. You definitely get more fullness and weight with the dt250, but that applies to the mids too. The DF has that light and airy AKG sound signature, so I would say that the bass is in balance with the rest of the frequencies. Probably not the best hp for hip hop, but if someone likes an overall light and airy sound, they will probably find the bass adequate.

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #89 of 149
Lejaz, give Miles Davis' 'Bitches Brew' a good listen for it has some deep bass, especially 'Spanish Key.'

'Apothecaries' Weight' and '50 Million Year Trip (Downside Up)' by Kyuss I personally recommend.

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #90 of 149
Try "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" by Charles Mingus. I'd rather judge by acoustic bass than electric, because I've heard a lot of live jazz and played some jazz drums. It's hard to say which hp I prefer. There's definitely a fuller sounding bass with the dt250, but the 240DF may actually be more realistic...tighter and truer in tonality and detail. I have to listen some more. I listened to some of the tunes you mentioned and there's more bass level with the kt250. Whether it's more true to source or not I can't say. I'm more comfortable judging with acoustic bass though. I think I'll listen to some early Miles with Coltrane later. I know I have "So What" and a couple of other tracks around here somewhere. If you can get hold of any early Miles Davis albums you might enjoy the DF with acoustic bass. They are some great headphones for acoustic jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back