AKG K240DF quick first impressions... Now with pics!
Apr 2, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #106 of 149
I use my big CD-player to drive my DF.

I found a flaw in the DF when listening to Miles Davis' 'Bitches Brew.'* Sometimes it just sounds too polite for me. I read about the sweet midrange but for some recordings it just doesn't work. My new Pioneer gave a more 'raw' sound which I preferred.

*Bitches Brew The Complete Sessions.

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #107 of 149
Fantastic value cans if you can find used on ebay or here. I got mine for about 60£ in mint condition. I drive them with the Little dot MK3 tube amp and I prefer them over the HD650 and AKG K701. Detailed and sound tonally correct. The soundstage is quite nice also. Not very impactful bass wise but they sound very neutral. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #108 of 149
Quote:
Fantastic value cans if you can find used on ebay or here. I got mine for about 60£ in mint condition. I drive them with the Little dot MK3 tube amp and I prefer them over the HD650 and AKG K701. Detailed and sound tonally correct. The soundstage is quite nice also. Not very impactful bass wise but they sound very neutral. 

Wow, seems like we're dragging this thread back from the grave, but it's probably worthwhile. They're very under appreciated cans. I definitely prefer the DF midrange over the k70X mids. In fact the DF mids give the hd580/600 some serious competition, imo, and may be even more transparent. They're not at all forgiving of poor source material, however.. Mine can be a bit sibilant at times like there's a peak in the treble somewhere. I like the 580 better in that regard.

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #109 of 149
Quote:
Wow, seems like we're dragging this thread back from the grave, but it's probably worthwhile. They're very under appreciated cans. I definitely prefer the DF midrange over the k70X mids. In fact the DF mids give the hd580/600 some serious competition, imo, and may be even more transparent. They're not at all forgiving of poor source material, however.. Mine can be a bit sibilant at times like there's a peak in the treble somewhere. I like the 580 better in that regard.

Why clog the site with new threads when this is perfectly fine for adding new impressions? :) I also have noticed that some recording sound bit sibilant but very few. I haven't heard the HD600 for a while, these were my favourite cans because of the balance, tonality, details and lifelike midrange. Now when I have getting used to the DFs I'm getting goosebumps again due to the same qualities. I don't want to tear apart the K701s just yet because I might not just have a good combo. Tube amps I heard are not very good with them but a high impedance can like K240DF just sings with mine!

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #110 of 149
Quote:

Why clog the site with new threads when this is perfectly fine for adding new impressions? :) I also have noticed that some recording sound bit sibilant but very few. I haven't heard the HD600 for a while, these were my favourite cans because of the balance, tonality, details and lifelike midrange. Now when I have getting used to the DFs I'm getting goosebumps again due to the same qualities. I don't want to tear apart the K701s just yet because I might not just have a good combo. Tube amps I heard are not very good with them but a high impedance can like K240DF just sings with mine!

I have the O2 amp which FWIR is extremely 'neutral', and the DF has better midrange tonality and isn't as thin and pale sounding(like a color photo that's' not fully saturated) as the 702. Of course there are lots of folks who'd probably disagree, but to my ears, it's an easy call

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #111 of 149
Haven't heard the K702 but there is something wrong tonally with the K701, at least in my setup. The soundstage is good, balanced and detailed but everything just sounds fake on them. I don't get that feeling that I'm listening to real vocals and instruments. K240DF conveys that very good. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #112 of 149
Well people claim the O2 is a very good amp for the 70X and they're still missing something in the mids. I wouldn't go as far as to say the vocals sound like they're not 'real', however....just kind of 'pale' with not enough weight and fullness.....very different from the 580/600 mids that's for sure..

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #113 of 149
Quote:
I bought a set on the for sale forum that were recabled balanced with mogami wire and xlr, but since I don't have a balanced amp they were re-terminated with 1/4" neutrik. Was just listening to the re-mastered Abby Road (the Beatles)... OMG, really astounding clarity...and plenty of bass, which is a surprise. I don't have the original CD to compare it to, though. There's actually a bit too much highs with the recabled set, and lately I've been using the set with the original cable. The recabled ones can be sibilant with some material, but they seal better and overall I think they sound better...never did a careful comparison though. I'm loving the new Abby Road with these...where did all that bass come from...you go Paul! Going to try to get Sgt. Peppers soon
icon10.gif

I'm listening to the Beatles's LOVE Album in 96 kHz and it sounds amazing.  Literally as satisfying as my HD800 was.  My only other headphone which has felt "right" to my ears was the K1000.  The K240DF really makes some magic in the right conditions, which I think more people ought to experience.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Dec 30, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #114 of 149
How do the K240s MK1 compare to the K240DF? I just ordered the K240S MK1's and am now feeling a little scared due to all the shouting about them being inferior headphones.

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #116 of 149
Personally wasn't too happy with the DF, though my version was one of the newer ones with a small plug.

I found the sound to improve in a large way by implementing two mods. First, implanting the DF drivers into K 241 cups (which you can get for $40 or so used), in which the drivers get to make use of the old-style large sound ports, four-core cable, and what seemed to be better cup construction overall. Second, a nylon disc in front of the driver (in addition to the stock foam disc) helped smooth out two small bits of ringing in the treble. Measurements of the improvements vs. stock are over here, in the second set of pictures: http://www.head-fi.org/t/601949/the-akg-appreciation-and-infomation-thread/150#post_8740008

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #117 of 149
Quote:
How do the K240s MK1 compare to the K240DF? I just ordered the K240S MK1's and am now feeling a little scared due to all the shouting about them being inferior headphones.

Are you referring to the 240S also known as the 240 Studio? Those are 55 ohms vs. 600 ohms for the 240DF. The k240S is a lot warmer than the DF (which can be a bit cold and overly bright with some material), and have more low end, but don't let other people's impressions influence your listening. Let your own ears decide. I listen to my 240S a lot out of a Sansa Clip, but they are quite different than the DF which requires a dedicated amp. Instead of looking for perfection, just look at them as two different flavors of ice cream. 
happy_face1.gif

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #118 of 149
Quote:
Personally wasn't too happy with the DF, though my version was one of the newer ones with a small plug.

I found the sound to improve in a large way by implementing two mods. First, implanting the DF drivers into K 241 cups (which you can get for $40 or so used), in which the drivers get to make use of the old-style large sound ports, four-core cable, and what seemed to be better cup construction overall. Second, a nylon disc in front of the driver (in addition to the stock foam disc) helped smooth out two small bits of ringing in the treble. Measurements of the improvements vs. stock are over here, in the second set of pictures: http://www.head-fi.org/t/601949/the-akg-appreciation-and-infomation-thread/150#post_8740008

I had both a mid and late production DF and ended up liking the later production model the best.  The earlier version was a bit warmer sounding and had more emphasis on the mids where the later production is more linear, detailed and has a larger soundstage. 

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Dec 31, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #119 of 149
Quote:
Are you referring to the 240S also known as the 240 Studio? Those are 55 ohms vs. 600 ohms for the 240DF. The k240S is a lot warmer than the DF (which can be a bit cold and overly bright with some material), and have more low end, but don't let other people's impressions influence your listening. Let your own ears decide. I listen to my 240S a lot out of a Sansa Clip, but they are quite different than the DF which requires a dedicated amp. Instead of looking for perfection, just look at them as two different flavors of ice cream. 
happy_face1.gif

Yes i was refering to the studios; unfortunately I won't have the chance to hear the 240DS, I was just curious. :) Luckily I like most ice cream.

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #120 of 149
Quote:
I had both a mid and late production DF and ended up liking the later production model the best.  The earlier version was a bit warmer sounding and had more emphasis on the mids where the later production is more linear, detailed and has a larger soundstage. 

How would you define mid and late? How did switching the pads between the two change the situation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back