AKG K240DF quick first impressions... Now with pics!
Oct 29, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #32 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest I probably enjoy how the HD650's "change/color/represent" the sound. I would have to say the 240's are much more natural with acoustic instruments. And the microdetail was wonderful, but the total package wasn't for me. The soundstage and feeling of the music (true or not) is more enjoyable with the HD650's. However I might have to pick up a set of 240's for amplifier design/testing they really are that good at what they do.

I would like to update some of the statements I made earlier. While the statments were honest I have an update that gives a more direct comparison of the HD650's vs K240's. I didn't mention before the impressions of the HD650 were of a balanced/recabled pair. The owner of the K240's allowed me to reterminate (stock cable) his pair for testing with a balanced portable amplifier. The transformation was nothing short of incredible. All of the things that I liked about the HD650, but the K240's were lacking came out and equaled or bettered the HD650's. The K240's retained the microdetail, and natural tone, while improving the bass extension and weight. Now instead of having a clear preference over the HD650's it's a coin toss. The extra detail in the K240's might put them over the top. If anyone is considering reterminating or recabling their K240's for a balanced setup go ahead and do it!!

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #33 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An amp is needed, without one the soundstange pretty much disappears, bass will be very poor and highs will be harsh.
As for how they sound, search the forum, there are not many threads about the DF's and the more recent threads contain pretty good descriptions of them.

Thanks for the reply. But I still have no idea how much I'll have to spend on an amp to do the k240df justice. Would the headphone output of a stereo reciever/preamplifier do the job? I am willing to buy used. I suppose I would be willing to try a DIY, but I have never tried before so it may not be the wisest idea. Would the SSH Millet suffice (where do I find the actual instructions to build this...is there some definitive generic guide I don't know about)?

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #34 of 149
Quote:

I would like to update some of the statements I made earlier. While the statments were honest I have an update that gives a more direct comparison of the HD650's vs K240's. I didn't mention before the impressions of the HD650 were of a balanced/recabled pair. The owner of the K240's allowed me to reterminate (stock cable) his pair for testing with a balanced portable amplifier. The transformation was nothing short of incredible. All of the things that I liked about the HD650, but the K240's were lacking came out and equaled or bettered the HD650's. The K240's retained the microdetail, and natural tone, while improving the bass extension and weight. Now instead of having a clear preference over the HD650's it's a coin toss. The extra detail in the K240's might put them over the top. If anyone is considering reterminating or recabling their K240's for a balanced setup go ahead and do it!!

While this is all very interesting and helpful information, it has limited use without knowing witch K240 you are talking about.

Edit: You say it says 4-600 Ohms on them, as far as I can figure out, that makes them a pair of K240 Sextett, they are quite different from K240DF's.
Sextett = Lush and musical sounding (from what I have read)
DF = Analytic and neutral.

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #35 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gossling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply. But I still have no idea how much I'll have to spend on an amp to do the k240df justice. Would the headphone output of a stereo reciever/preamplifier do the job? I am willing to buy used. I suppose I would be willing to try a DIY, but I have never tried before so it may not be the wisest idea. Would the SSH Millet suffice (where do I find the actual instructions to build this...is there some definitive generic guide I don't know about)?

The K240DF needs an amp that can deal with 600 Ohms.
I don't know much about this stuff, but what I do know is that the amp has be be fairly strong.
My DF's sound good out of my H/K PM665, but much better out of my LD mkV.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #36 of 149
Quote:

While this is all very interesting and helpful information, it has limited use without knowing witch K240 you are talking about.

Edit: You say it says 4-600 Ohms on them, as far as I can figure out, that makes them a pair of K240 Sextett, they are quite different from K240DF's.
Sextett = Lush and musical sounding (from what I have read)
DF = Analytic and neutral.

I came up with the same conclusion, I'm pretty sure the pair I was using was the Sextett and not the DF. Sorry for dragging the thread off course.

I would imagine that the DF would also benifit from a balanced setup though, and if looking for a new amp it might be a direction to go for.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #37 of 149
Quote:

I came up with the same conclusion, I'm pretty sure the pair I was using was the Sextett and not the DF. Sorry for dragging the thread off course.

I would imagine that the DF would also benifit from a balanced setup though, and if looking for a new amp it might be a direction to go for.

I'm sure it will, my next audio related buy will be the LD mkVII and cable+connector for balanced use.
But I need to loose interest in my current setup first, it would be a waste to move on to better gear before I have gotten the most of what I have.

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #38 of 149
Hello I can help out here. I just joined getting back into the Hifi craze after a bit of a hiatus.
The K240 that RWAUDIO is referencing is a K240LP Sextett. I purchased these phones new back in 83 or so.
Re-terminating them to balanced and using his balanced prototype amplifier was nothing short of total musical transformation. I have liked these phones for so long as they have always been true to the music and allowed the micro-dynamics and musical articulation to come though effortlessly. The balanced mod basically paired my two favourite speakers for different reasons. The Verity Audio Parsifal which I did own and the Wilson Watt Puppies 7.1 which I wish I could have owned. Had to pick one!
The phones are incredibly musical with extremely good transient response and micro-dynamics persevered with the macro-dynamics as well now. The bass presentation now is very articulate with the character of each instrument preserved and weighted great within the context of the musical piece. The whole midrange has more presence without the glare or artificial sibilance. The whole presentation opened up.
Hope I helped some for my first post
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #39 of 149
So it seems like balancing the LP Sextett turned them into a 240DF!
biggrin.gif
In all seriousness though, I'd love to hear that set up...the best of the Sextett combined with the best of the DF.

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #40 of 149
Quote:

Yeah me too, and the DT48 as well.

You should mention the model. The DT48a was never meant for music, and thus has audiophile flaws many can't live with. The 240DF are most def an under appreciated classic. AKG was dumb to discontinue them, replacing them with a inferior product.

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #41 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello I can help out here. I just joined getting back into the Hifi craze after a bit of a hiatus.
The K240 that RWAUDIO is referencing is a K240LP Sextett. I purchased these phones new back in 83 or so.
Re-terminating them to balanced and using his balanced prototype amplifier was nothing short of total musical transformation. I have liked these phones for so long as they have always been true to the music and allowed the micro-dynamics and musical articulation to come though effortlessly. The balanced mod basically paired my two favourite speakers for different reasons. The Verity Audio Parsifal which I did own and the Wilson Watt Puppies 7.1 which I wish I could have owned. Had to pick one!
The phones are incredibly musical with extremely good transient response and micro-dynamics persevered with the macro-dynamics as well now. The bass presentation now is very articulate with the character of each instrument preserved and weighted great within the context of the musical piece. The whole midrange has more presence without the glare or artificial sibilance. The whole presentation opened up.
Hope I helped some for my first post
smily_headphones1.gif

And yet, the dummies at AKG put a holt to it.

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #42 of 149
My K240DF set, bought several years ago, needs a new cable (hard-wired, not the detachable type). Sound erratically cuts out one cup or the other, or both, particularly if I wiggle the cable at the plug end.

1) Is this something I can replace myself? I have access to a friend's soldering iron. I found a photo of a DF with the glued-on circular label removed, which showed that there is a screw beneath it which presumably allows me to disassemble the cable attachment housing.

I presume I can order a replacement cable from Harmon/AKG, but I'm a little uncertain about fooling with a sophisticated piece of equipment like this. Is it advisable to send the set to AKG for repair (which could conceivably cost as much as a viable new replacement)?

2) I drive the phones with a generic tuner/amp (see photo for specs). Is this adequate? I also have a Behringer UB502 mixer with phone jack, but it's only rated at 150 ohm headphone output. I thought previously that it was okay because I could hear the output, but judging by posts here, it probably isn't.

3) Should I even be using the K240DF in the first place? Lower-impedance phones may be more convenient if they'd do the job (I could plug them into a soundcard output).My application is mainly playback of musical scores that I create in Sibelius, via Garritan Personal Orchestra sounds (sampled orchestral instruments). Essentially it constitutes proofreading the arrangements, what-ifs (is this instrument better than that instrument here?) and so on. I need to hear details and accurate representation of balance of instruments, such as how loud to mark the trumpets as opposed to the string or woodwind section in this or that passage. Sheer beauty of sound is a secondary consideration. Comments on the DF here and elsewhere on this forum suggest that these are qualities that this headset is supposed to have, but I've never been satisfied that I could hear what I need to hear in the scores I'm writing. I'm only getting a very rough approximation. Maybe my amp does not have the cojones for the DF.

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #43 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should mention the model. The DT48a was never meant for music, and thus has audiophile flaws many can't live with. The 240DF are most def an under appreciated classic. AKG was dumb to discontinue them, replacing them with a inferior product.

When reading about the DT48, it seems the 25 Ohms DT48e comes up most often, so I guess this it the one I would be most interested in.

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #45 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gossling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the isolation/leakage on the K240df? Fine for library usage?

I does isolate a bit, but not much, if you listen at very low volume, you might be fine in a library, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back