AKG K240 Studio owners please share your experience
Jun 17, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #91 of 286

Can you tell me about the sound? I heard from a somewhat reliable source that this particular model has an large, audible dip, somewhere in the lower treble, that makes them fatiguing to listen.

It was for this reason that I got Studios instead. Can you verify if there is, or isn't, such a problem?

You mean spike ? 
No ..there is nothing striking in the frequency balance , the presence region (UM - LT) to me sounds flat , only the upper treble is rolled off , its kinda like a Sennheiser-ized AKG , like the 612 and 712 , the 240 has good bass extension but it goes through the same problem that "Mid-Fi Open Dynamics" go through , that is distortion in the Sub-Bass at low notes and with some songs mastered with a lot of bass , but since I am aware of that limitation , its not a huge deal
The surprising thing is grain , the 240 is almost grain free , I would go so far as to say its on par with my 650s , it beats the 702 in terms of grain ...but the 7XX has its own charm 

The 240 is a classic , I'm amazed .....time to save up and finish the AKG headphone collection ! 

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #92 of 286

You mean spike ? 
No ..there is nothing striking in the frequency balance , the presence region (UM - LT) to me sounds flat , only the upper treble is rolled off , its kinda like a Sennheiser-ized AKG , like the 612 and 712 , the 240 has good bass extension but it goes through the same problem that "Mid-Fi Open Dynamics" go through , that is distortion in the Sub-Bass at low notes and with some songs mastered with a lot of bass , but since I am aware of that limitation , its not a huge deal
The surprising thing is grain , the 240 is almost grain free , I would go so far as to say its on par with my 650s , it beats the 702 in terms of grain ...but the 7XX has its own charm 

The 240 is a classic , I'm amazed .....time to save up and finish the AKG headphone collection ! 

I have owned all three of those, the K240 MKII(seems I will get them back sometime), K612, and K712. The K712 sounds a bit like a better K240 to me with the K7xx family flare to it and a much deeper bass response. I want to get the K240 back and compare how it sounds to the K712, it's been forever since I heard the K240. I was always surprised by the K240 level of clarity and transparency, it keeps up with more expensive headphones in that regard. The K612 is more like a slightly warmer and darker DT 880 with a more forward midrange with an AKG flare to it. I find the K612 the most transparent headphone of the three, at least on my system, I plan on upgrading my amp here in a couple months, I'm curious how things will change. All three sound fantastic on tubes.

The older K240 variants sound great too, quite different though.

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #93 of 286
Sennheiser and other fanboys on this site keep telling me that apple earpods are better sounding than the K240's.... How does this work? I keep being told superlux HD 661>K240. I don't get it. A guy even tried to tell me that the k240's smear the hell out of sound and have no micro-detailing... Why do the K240's get so much hate from people? I've never seen this much hate for ATH-M50X's, and those are way overhyped.

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #94 of 286
Sennheiser and other fanboys on this site keep telling me that apple earpods are better sounding than the K240's.... How does this work? I keep being told superlux HD 661>K240. I don't get it. A guy even tried to tell me that the k240's smear the hell out of sound and have no micro-detailing... Why do the K240's get so much hate from people? I've never seen this much hate for ATH-M50X's, and those are way overhyped.

I don't get it either. A well amped K240 is really good despite it's flaws. It's still my favorite sub $100 headphone. I don't understand the hate it gets either. I can't stand the M50 or M50X, they sound rather bad to my ears. The K240 don't smear the sound or lack micro-detailing to my ears. A lot has to with what they are hooked up, with the right synergy a lot of it's issues people complain about aren't really there or reduced.

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #95 of 286
I don't get it either. A well amped K240 is really good despite it's flaws. It's still my favorite sub $100 headphone. I don't understand the hate it gets either. I can't stand the M50 or M50X, they sound rather bad to my ears. The K240 don't smear the sound or lack micro-detailing to my ears. A lot has to with what they are hooked up, with the right synergy a lot of it's issues people complain about aren't really there or reduced.
what amps are probably the best for the k240?

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #96 of 286
what amps are probably the best for the k240?

Pretty much any good tube or hybrid amp with a clean and smooth sound with virtually no grain or etching in the treble that gives them a decent amount of power seems to make them shine from my experience. Pretty much most higher end tube amps. Many AKGs don't really need as much power as claimed, synergy is vital though. I plan on getting the Valhalla 2 in a couple months, I should have the K240 back by then. I'll mentioned how they sound on it. Although if you are going to get an amp like that, upgrading to something like the K612 or K712 may be worth considering in the future.

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #97 of 286
Actually, I'm looking at the K812 right now :p... I use an E11, so is that not a decent amp for it?

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #98 of 286
And yes I'm serious. I'm saving money from a summer job all summer to buy a K812.

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #99 of 286
Actually, I'm looking at the K812 right now
tongue.gif
... I use an E11, so is that not a decent amp for it?

The K812 is a massive upgrade from the K240. I think the K240 sounds pretty good on the E11. I just think it really shines on good tube amps. But I can say the same about the K812 and other AKGs I have heard.

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #100 of 286

You mean spike ? 

That settles it then. In the future, if I ever need it, I will get Mk II.

I guess that particular reviewer had different ears than me.

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #102 of 286

I have owned all three of those, the K240 MKII(seems I will get them back sometime), K612, and K712. The K712 sounds a bit like a better K240 to me with the K7xx family flare to it and a much deeper bass response. I want to get the K240 back and compare how it sounds to the K712, it's been forever since I heard the K240. I was always surprised by the K240 level of clarity and transparency, it keeps up with more expensive headphones in that regard. The K612 is more like a slightly warmer and darker DT 880 with a more forward midrange with an AKG flare to it. I find the K612 the most transparent headphone of the three, at least on my system, I plan on upgrading my amp here in a couple months, I'm curious how things will change. All three sound fantastic on tubes.

The older K240 variants sound great too, quite different though.

Agreed 

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #103 of 286
In my measurement, K240 have multiple up and down between 1k to 6khz, so some may feel they lack energy on mids. Overall they are good headphones, but not spectacular. I personally like them, but I won't recommend them strongly to others, since they are bit hard to drive also.

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #104 of 286

I like the K240, but when I use it with mobile devices, it smears the music for me. It has a pseudo-reverb thing going on, as well. I find similar issues when it is driven by my iMac. Sonically, I would put the K240 ahead of the Sony 7506, but behind the ATH M40x.

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #105 of 286
You aren't driving it correctly out of an iMac lol. Imo, its better than the m50x when driven by a capable source. Its 91db/mW, and 55 ohms, and like other AKG's, it has some attributes that make it harder to drive than the specs suggest. The K702 is harder to drive than an HD650 as an example. You need at least an E11 for it to start to shine imo. I don't like it straight out of my phone either. I always use my amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back