AKG K240 Sextett - $135 Is this worth it?
Oct 25, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #16 of 26
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/243339/akg-k240-sextett-grado-d-akg

That should keep you busy for a while
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
The K601 don't. They are a dream of headphones although difficult to drive.

Yes, the K601's have less treble than the 701's, but still too much IMO.  Or ... too much for the bass that they do have.  But I have a different amp on the way too, so I'll see shortly if it's possibly a power issue.

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #18 of 26

Quote:
How did you notice them sounding different Moodyrn?  I noticed the same thing.  It was hard to put a finger on though.  I had 3 pairs at one point, and the EP pair I have now clearly sounded better even though they all had the same basic signature.  It seemed more holographic and 3D sounding, more dynamic, while the others sounded more flat (not in the FR sense)

Pretty much the same as your impressions. With my very first pair(lp) I thought the midrange sounded good, but they had no bass; not even a little. Then I read that the lps had the least bass of all the versions. So I thought this must be the way they sounded. My second pair(also lp) had significantly less treble than the previous pair. I then knew something wasn't right. It was with my third pair(also lp) that I fell in love. They had more bass than my hd580s(more sparkle too). I've probably owned about 10 pairs or better. So far the mp's are my favorites. The condition of my first couple of pairs were only decent at best.

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #19 of 26
Interesting I guess everything varies between different units then.  The EP is supposed to have more bass than the MP, but that's not at all why I liked my EP more than my MP.  I actually would prefer a bit less bass.  But the EP pair plays this magical disappearing act, while the mp I had sounded like headphones.  I'm honestly not sure how else to put it, except what I said above.  Makes me want to buy more of them to see if I could find an even better one.  This EP in in great condition though, looks like new and came in the original box.  I don't' think it was used much. 

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #20 of 26
 I would love to find a nos pair of each sextett production. I know that's not likely to happen, but if it did, I would sell off all of my headphones(except my stax). One thing is for sure, all of them(even the ones that were beat up) had that signature midrange. I'v only heard one can that had a better midrange and that's the grado hp1. I'm looking forward to see how the df's compare to the sextetts. I scored a pair in excellent, almost like new condition.

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #23 of 26
 You guys are killing me. 
smile_phones.gif
  I got my new Sparrow today, and my Sextett LP's *still* beat all of the K501, 601, 701/702, K240S, and K240DF.  I got a real hankerin' to try the MP's someday, and now I'm convinced I probably need to try the EP's someday too just to have a frame of reference.

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
Oh well, I guess nothing is guaranteed. I've had to replace parts on all but one pair that I've owned. Hate to see that even nos can be hit or miss.

Yeah, fortunately the person refunded my money for it (without me asking), so I ended up with a good set of spare parts for other pairs. The parts that are expected to wear out (pads, elastics, foam, headbands), seem to deteriorate even when just sitting in the box. I've had other NOS AKGs that had dead elastics, hard/cracked earpads, wonky headbands, etc. :/

Seems like the best thing is to find a used pair that has been properly taken care of, which unfortunately you rarely come across on ebay. I actually took a pretty big loss in my process of buying lots of beat up AKGs off ebay to combine into a smaller number of excellent condition AKGs, most of which eventually got sold or traded away.

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #25 of 26

JeckyllAndHyde said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

You should find most of the answers here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/243339/akg-k240-sextett-grado-d-akg

as rhytmdevils stated - Sextetts really shines in midrange, they are also pretty universal and non-fatiguing. I did liked them (had MP & EPs), but I find K240 Monitors (late version) way more balanced. to be honest, I also like k141 (non Studio versions) more than Sextetts.

It's very useful, Thanks! It's helpful to me.

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #26 of 26
I have had two pairs of AKG K240 Sextett headphones.

Although I preferred the EP/MP version over the LP version, I liked my Grado SR125 (with pink drivers) significantly more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back