AKG K240 Sextett - $135 Is this worth it?
Oct 17, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #3 of 26
 I don't know enough about Sextetts to fully answer the question, but here's what I would look for:

a) Early, middle, or late production?

b) Shape of the earpads.

c) Do they work?

d) One thing I still have to learn about is the "foam" discs on the inside of each housing.  I've seen some mention that these can degrade over time and can be replaced?

I just got a pair for $130 from a fellow Head Fi-er, and I really like them.  I think they are better headphones than the 501, 601, 701/702, K240DF's, and the K240 Mk II's.  But everyone's ears are different too.  :)

Oct 17, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 26
Definitely depends on your taste.  If treble is your favorite part of the spectrum then they won't be worth 20 dollars.  But if the midrange is your favorite, and you care less about the rest, then they are worth more than 130.  They scale like no other headphone I've heard.  With a world class amp, they can be world class.  I've taken them to meets and walked away thinking they were one of my favorite headphones out of all the very expensive cans.  But they don't have the treble emphasis that most headphones have these days.  They just focus on very realistic mids. 

They're also hard to drive.

Oct 17, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 26
Yes ... the K501, K601, K701/702 all have too much of a treble emphasis IMO.  And not enough bass.  :)  I think the Sextett is a much more balanced headphone .

There is the big "Grado'd AKG" thread on the Sextetts I really need to jump into.

Oct 17, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 26
I really want to get a pair of these or the k340.

What are the major differences in the sound signature between the k240 Sextett and the k240 Studio? Does it have more bass? K240 Studio has more then enough bass for me as it is. The mids are very good, but not the best i've heard. Soundstage is good, but I felt the imaging was just so-so. It seems like closed headphones are far better in this area for some reason.

So i'm guessing the k340 has the best vocal quality right? I don't even want to know how much those cost even if they could be found.

I'm such a huge fan of the k240 right now, so if the k240 Sextett is even better, I MUST try them. I imagine the sextett is more neutral then the regular 240 right? Or no?

Oct 17, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 26
You should find most of the answers here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/243339/akg-k240-sextett-grado-d-akg

as rhytmdevils stated - Sextetts really shines in midrange, they are also pretty universal and non-fatiguing. I did liked them (had MP & EPs), but I find K240 Monitors (late version) way more balanced. to be honest, I also like k141 (non Studio versions) more than Sextetts.

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 26
Very glad to read the positive opinions of the Sextetts.

I currently own three pair, including one pair with the original box/packaging.

I like them equally alongside my Grado RS-2s, 225is, and AKG K702s.

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #9 of 26
 I hate Head Fi.

:)

I have LP Sextetts, and the same very nice person who I bought those from just put up MP's that I now have to try !!

And I have an Audio-gd Sparrow coming that should answer the question of whether my current Aune can adequately power them or not.  I could use a hair more bass with the LP's, so that's why my interest in the MP's now (and questioning the Aune's power).

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 26
Agreed. I had a pair running out of a balanced bijou.  With that amp that was the best I've heard them. They do scale very well, and the more power you feed them the better they sound. I'm about to try a pair of DFs. I've been interested in those for a long time. But to answer the op question, yes. I like them better than some headphones in 300-400.00 range. It also depends on the condition as well. I've owned several pair, and some the driver wasn't in very good condition and they didn't sound that good.

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #12 of 26
How did you notice them sounding different Moodyrn?  I noticed the same thing.  It was hard to put a finger on though.  I had 3 pairs at one point, and the EP pair I have now clearly sounded better even though they all had the same basic signature.  It seemed more holographic and 3D sounding, more dynamic, while the others sounded more flat (not in the FR sense)

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 26
I recently bought a pair from a head-fier and loved them on first listen. (edit: Late period Sextetts)

More comfortable than K702, more spaciousness and presence than anything I've ever heard. They got congested in loud and bassy music, but I this is mostly likely because I currently only have a portable amp (Leckerton UHA-6S) to drive them (according to spec, it can only manage 25 mW into 600 ohm). But when playing Red House Painters' "Have You Forgotten" - a single voice, acoustic guitar, and some pedal steel - they were stunning.

Looking forward to being able to drive them with more juice soon. Then I'll judge how well they can negotiate the range of music I listen to. I'm optimistic. From personal experience, though, I'd already speculate that you can buy headphones worse than this for considerably more than $130.

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
Yes ... the K501, K601, K701/702 all have too much of a treble emphasis IMO.  And not enough bass.  :)  I think the Sextett is a much more balanced headphone .

There is the big "Grado'd AKG" thread on the Sextetts I really need to jump into.

The K601 don't. They are a dream of headphones although difficult to drive.

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #15 of 26

i'm trying to find threads that discuss the differences amongst the sextet versions but have been unable to find them. can anyone help here? tia.
Quote:
 I don't know enough about Sextetts to fully answer the question, but here's what I would look for:
a) Early, middle, or late production?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back