AKG K240 S/M/DF Appreciation Thread
Mar 24, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #17 of 52
I love my 240's they are the most non-fatigueing headphones I own and besides that they sound GREAT. Still thinking about getting a pair of K240M's.

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #18 of 52
Quick questions for everyone in AKG land: Are the AKG271's just AKG240s's with a closed back??? If so, why the ~$100 difference? Or are there other major differences??? For reference, the closest I've heard to my ideal sound are the SuperFi5Pro's and from all the reviews, it seems the 240s have a similar sound.

THANKS!

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #20 of 52
[size=small]All this AKG love is making me want to puke---'cause I ain't got no AKG's!
icon10.gif

I have a modded Senn HD-25-1 which I used for transportable applications. However, ever since I sampled the K501, I fell in love with The AKG midrange and crystal clear trebles. In fact, I was all set to buy the K501 when they release the K601/K701 back in late summer 2005. Well, I know I'm going to be buying the K701, which helps settle some of my domestic audio needs (desires, fetishes, etc.).

On the portable front, I have been considering the acquisition of a K271 for transportable usage to replace the HD-25-1, but---wouldn't ya know it---AKG has complicated the picture again! with the K81DJ and K181DJ siblings. Now I have folks Head-fi members telling me the K81DJ is sonically better than the HD-25-1.
eek.gif

Has anyone heard the new K181DJ and can compare it with the K271? (I know there is an ongoing thread on this but that user hasn't copmpared his 181DJ with a K271 yet.)
[/size]

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminair
I just ordered a pair of K240s for $69 USD and am excited to use them with my computer. I'm no audiophile but I'll update the thread with what my layman ears feel when I get them
biggrin.gif

I love what is now a retro look. Also I'm pumped because the alternatives I was comparing them to were multiple times more expensive, so I think I got a good value
smily_headphones1.gif

sry to resurerct an old thread, but where did you find them for that price? best i can do on froogle and pricegrabber is $90...

Apr 30, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by binkgle
sry to resurerct an old thread, but where did you find them for that price? best i can do on froogle and pricegrabber is $90...

I got them from proaudiomart.com and pricematched down to 69 from an amazon.com store. But I checked that old link and now they sell for $99. So you'd have to find a cheaper price somewhere to PM with.

PS: The headphones are good. Durable. Sound just fine. The great advantage to their design is that it's an instant fit for anyone, so good for a studio. The cable plastic is maybe cheaper than I'm used to from even cheaper headphones, but that doesn't matter.

My only problem is that the earpads don't stick out very far, so my (I guess larger than average) ear lobes hit the inside padding over the driver and begin to hurt after not-too-long. So I'm currently looking into getting beyer velour pads for them. In the mean time I put a loop of plastic tubing behind the pads to push them out another half centimeter.

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminair
My only problem is that the earpads don't stick out very far, so my (I guess larger than average) ear lobes hit the inside padding over the driver and begin to hurt after not-too-long. So I'm currently looking into getting beyer velour pads for them. In the mean time I put a loop of plastic tubing behind the pads to push them out another half centimeter.

I had this same problem, though in my case it was merely a case of old, flattened pads, and a pair of new ones from AKG for $12 plus shipping solved it fine. I like the sound of your plastic-tube mod, though. Does it noticeably change the quality of the sound, though?

In keeping with the original purpose of the thread, I'll add that although K240 are finicky about source and amplification, with a good rig they really shine, I would say outshine any sub-$100 headphones I've heard. Beautiful sound, forgiving but detailed, and the huge often breathtaking soundstage that AKG is known for. My SR60 can't keep up; but on a cruddier system the SR60 wins.

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #24 of 52
i am all for the k-240's

i have monitors, and DF variants. both are awsome.
i am hunting hard for a set of sextets too.

fwif, there are VERY thick soft pads that can be added as aftermarket bits. they do tend to lower the bass some though.

Apr 30, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
I like the sound of your plastic-tube mod, though. Does it noticeably change the quality of the sound, though?

To be honest I'm SO not an audiophile. But I'll tell you what I know
smily_headphones1.gif

Going from big bassy Radio Shack headphones to k240s: I noticed that these had less boomy bass. But still enough bass to make me happy. I listen to classical to rock to games to movies. I noticed more clarity. I could hear things I didn't notice before, I could discern garbled words in music I wasn't able to before. They sound good, I'm pleased except for the ear smushing
smily_headphones1.gif
I run them out of my onboard PC sound card, unamped.

That said. Pushing the earpads out means the driver is further from the ear. This means "less" of certain sound attributes, to me. So less bass and volume because the driver is further from and more indirectly pointing into the ear canal.

So basically, the answer to your question is: no, the sound quality didn't change for me. But like I said, I'm no audiophile! I just like what sounds good. I'm a simple man to please :p

May 1, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #26 of 52
This is a phone I hadn't considered before, but I'm getting a pair as a freebie w/ a PreSonus Firebox (instrument interface for PC).

I vaguely recall these being well regarded in the past, good to read the comments in this thread.

Aug 23, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #29 of 52
Awesome I just found out that markertek still sells K240 M's for 99USD and they sell AKG-141M's for 199.99USD!

Aug 28, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #30 of 52
just bouht 240s for a friend while I was moving to chicago, being the curious goat I am, I unpacked them on my inflatable bed and am listening to them unamped through a h120. I must say theyre fun. They are a tad muddy but nothing mod and burning can fix. Its got good soundspace and adequate seperation for jazz. I think an 601 is heading my way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back