AKG K240 Pad mod
Jun 1, 2008 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Kabeer

Vintage Ortho Ninja 🥷
Ok, I have a set of K240 MP sextetts. I found the pads were just the teensiest bit flat (they wernt that bad). But it made my ear just very lightly touch the plastic grille, which caused annoyance after a while. So I wanted pads which were 'taller'/deeper.

I found out that velour pads apparently decrease SQ, and since I am cheap thought, what the heck, lets try modding my old pads before I bother with new ones.

I decided to do a pseudo D2000 pad effect, and make the pad taper from high to low, since I needed it to only really be deeper near the rear of the ear. And it might help with some soundstaging, who knows.
(NOTE: iv just done this mod for comfort, and have no source to compare to, so I cant comment if its actually changed the sound much).

Also I have no idea how tall new pleather K240 pads are, so this might be pointless for most who want to pay for them
tongue.gif

Pros: Now my ears dont touch the grille at all. Potential soundscape imrovement from slight driver angling.

Cons: The stuffed part of the pad is quite stiff, which for me is fine, but for others you might not like it. And my old pads already had quite worn/stiff pleather. Possible soundscape degradation from ruining driver angle
wink.gif
Possible loss off SQ from moving driver away from ears.
Doesnt solve problem of pleather being hot and sweaty at times.

#############MOD##############
Start off with some fiberloft (anything can be used really, I just had some lying around). Rolled it to shape. Made the middle fatter than the edges, to give D2000 pad tapering effect.
2541388219_75b86cff5e.jpg

Cut open the inside of the pleather with a small pair of scissors. Reveals the yellow foam inside the stock pad. Even though I felt my pad wasnt tall enough, it seems the foam isnt rotten or anything.
2541388293_e976c5b805.jpg

Stuff the fiberloft into the pad, under the stock foam (so the fiberloft is actually on the part where your ears will be. You can see one end is very stuffed where iv created the fat end of the taper. The other extreme end has no fibreloft. But its not as extreme as the D2000 taper.
So the fiberloft makes a nice 'C' shape. My fiberloft roll was quite long, so the 'C' was nearly a 'O'
2542212004_78154df9ef.jpg

Stitch the cut pleather back together. (I cant stitch so got someone who could, lucky me
tongue.gif
).
2542211780_45c6b13d8b.jpg

End result!
2541388449_21e67eb733.jpg

Side by side with stock old pad:
2542212156_bbd7f1c91f.jpg

Repeat with other pad. And reattach to your old K240
tongue.gif
This pad is probably pointless to most people, just buy a new K240 pad (but im not sure it will be as deep). But if your super cheap, and wanna do some DIY, may as well give it a go.

Its not as deep as the D2000 pad btw, but it done its job for me.

Jun 1, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 25
golly, looks like something I'd do.

oh wait, something i *have done, but with old dt990 velours.

Jun 1, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
golly, looks like something I'd do.

oh wait, something i *have done, but with old dt990 velours.

Hehe, looks like iv joined Team cheap bastards.

Jun 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 25
I did the same thing with my K1000 pads by putting some more foam on top of the old foam then gluing the leather back down, because buying a new set wasn't an option (costs over $100).

I don't think new K240 pads are as thick as your stuffed pads though, so it may still be useful for comfort for some people.

Jun 1, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 25
Im listening to them now, It hasnt made the sound worse at all. In fact... I think I feel the highs have been brought out more, and overall balance (and possibly soundstage) have gone up a notch.
But id be hesitant to state this as fact since I dont have a reference to compare to now.

Its probably just due to moving from used pads to stuffed. But overall I feel I can confidently say a bit of the muffled sound I heard earlier has improved. Thats the only thing I can say with confidence.

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 25
Just got another pair of Sextetts. I'll do this when I do the deep clean.

By the way, is there a thread on how to do the deep clean? I was planning on winging it, but if there are instructions, I may as well follow them.

Fitz, if you don't mind my asking, what is a a good cable to do a sextett recable with? I'd like to get into the whole modding scene with this spare pair.

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 25
The deep clean involves three crucial steps:

1) Take everything apart

2) Clean

3) Put everything together

As far as cabling, I'd probably be inclined to prefer the one I make and install for the recable jobs I do.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #14 of 25
This mod needs a bump.

All my old AKG are in need of new pads - thanks to this mod I can save some serious money
biggrin.gif

Tha hardest thing for me is to get some stuffing and stitching part. (but I think I can learn how to stich, in the sake os saving money).
big thanks! I'll post the results!

May 10, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #15 of 25
Okay I did this mod today! I used a loudspeaker damping material from Visaton - I got so big package, that will last for about 40 pads:) I cutted about 3 cm wide stripes from this  material.

It took me about 40 minutes to make both pads. The pads are now bit harder, but way more comfortable for me.  Here the pics:

Really big package:

The Cut

The hardest part of the job:

New vs old

Users who are viewing this thread

Back