AKG K240 better than HD650 - am I nuts?
Mar 29, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #31 of 56
i have sextett,241, 240df,240m. i pretty much agree with fitz , and rank those headphone on the order i listed.
i can see why u been outbid on the 240df in the ebay. there are lots of crazes about the 240df in the chinese forum, they seem to rank the df above all others.
i like to own a hd650, have not heard of them critically, any1 want to sell me one?

Mar 29, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #32 of 56
Mar 30, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno... the majority of the people who I've spoken with who own/heard the DF and some of the other K240 versions seems to confirm the ranking order (and for those who don't, it's usually just "want moar bass" as the only reason). I don't really read public reviews, current or past, so there might be a different story there. I personally would put the K240M and K240S tied on the same level, with personal preference dictating which is better, but I put the list the way it is because of how often people I know who have a lot of experience rank the M higher than the S.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about that. I've bid on 5 or 6 DFs and I've always been out bid. I really want a pair, but obviously not as much as other people do. I keep kicking myself for not buying the NOS pair I saw last year for less than the price that they go for in auctions.

I guess I stand corrected on the DF. Let's not talk them up too much, though, or we'll drive them up to stratospheric prices like we've done with so many other headphones in the last year or so. I'll also agree that the M and S are more a matter of preference, and that although the M is flatter, I feel like the S is a bit more extended, though I never A/B tested them at the same moment. They're a pain, though, because neither really does well without the kind of amp that usually justifies the purchase of a much more expensive headphone.

The 241 and Sextett are on a different level, though, a definite category higher. What I don't know is whether the DF is the best of the low bracket or the worst of the high.

On the bid prices, I get the impression that it's one of the few headphones where audiophiles are bidding against sound production people. I think it's crazy to go above around $80-100 for a DF, there are better options above that. A DT100 or 150, for instance, to my ear.

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #35 of 56
In my usual daily browsing of this forum, I came upon this thread by chance, and recalled that I had some AKG headphones in my basement that I hadn't used for years. I went downstairs and retrieved them. They are model K240 DF and labeled (oddly?) "Studio-Monitor." (This thread so far has only referred, as I understand it, to EITHER a "Studio" or "Monitor" model, not the combination.

I am currently using, and pleased with, Sennheiser HD 595's, which I recently upgraded from model HD 580's. I have on order a Little Doc MKII, so was only able to try my newly-discovered AKG's with my HeadRoom Total Airhead amp. In comparison with the Sennheiser's, the AKG's didn't sound so good. But that might have been due to the considerable difference in impedance between the two. (HD595 - 50 ohms; K 240 DF - 600 ohms)

Mar 30, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ascherjim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are model K240 DF and labeled (oddly?) "Studio-Monitor." (This thread so far has only referred, as I understand it, to EITHER a "Studio" or "Monitor" model, not the combination.

That's normal, the "Studio-Monitor" is just a description, not part of the model.

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must have enormous ears.

Because i have big ears, and mine mostly fit inside k240 pads.

No I really don't.

They measure 1 1/2 inches Wide by 2 inches Tall. I believe they are just sensitive.

New headphones usually tend to hurt, except those crappy Bose Triports I tried on, but I'm betting it's because of the weak headband and really soft cushions. Those felt great, I'll admit, but I'm not paying the same price, if not more for BOSE when I could get the DT 770's...."real headphones"!

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

I don't know about that. I've bid on 5 or 6 DFs and I've always been out bid. I really want a pair, but obviously not as much as other people do. I keep kicking myself for not buying the NOS pair I saw last year for less than the price that they go for in auctions.

Really? Keep your eyes open - I saw ericj's recommendation, got interested, went to eBay and there was one listed BIN. Which I bought. I watch the AKG auctions and I'll drop you a line next time I see one come up. I'd like to see you get one.

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Keep your eyes open - I saw ericj's recommendation, got interested, went to eBay and there was one listed BIN. Which I bought. I watch the AKG auctions and I'll drop you a line next time I see one come up. I'd like to see you get one.

YOU just outbid me in a K340 auction!!!!!!
mad.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #40 of 56
@OP: whatever sound makes you happier is the sound you should pursue.

@kees: I know that feeling
biggrin.gif
. During the head-fi outtage, I was scouting a few of the vintage k240s on ebay. Seems quite a few people use the same ebay username as they do here.
I thought I had the upper hand, but it seems several others might have been thinking the same.

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #41 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No need, I have a saved search. I"m just cheap and patient. Enough show up that I should eventually be able to get one for a price I'm willing to spend.

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #42 of 56
I have a DF and the sound it produces is sweet pristine and clear... very very good... I really really like it except that I suspect that my Original Master is not driving it to its full potential and already I l like it..

I shudder to think how good it will sound when driven properly...

I remember that it brought a smile to my face when I first heard it at an audio shop...
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must have enormous ears.

Because i have big ears, and mine mostly fit inside k240 pads.

Mine fit inside the K240 pads with plenty of room to move the phones around in different positions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems quite a few people use the same ebay username as they do here.

Yes, as anybody trying to buy a sextett early/mid last year found out, I am r_fitz on ebay. But I have been nice and let other people win them for a while, including a $24 one.

Quote:

No need, I have a saved search. I"m just cheap and patient. Enough show up that I should eventually be able to get one for a price I'm willing to spend.

I have a special search too! Mine is "AKG", all categories, titles & descriptions, sort by newly listed. And no that is not a joke.
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #44 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a special search too! Mine is "AKG", all categories, titles & descriptions, sort by newly listed. And no that is not a joke.
biggrin.gif

And worldwide I assume. That's a lot to wade through.

Edit: Just did the search, 1387 items, including the first on the list 2 BOTTLES POWER NO2 NITRIC OXIDE HEMODILATOR. Like I said, a lot to wade through

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #45 of 56
It's not so much if you do it every day or two. But I have been busy and not checked it in a couple weeks so I have to look through it all to see if there is anything interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back