AKG K181DJ Impressions
Mar 12, 2006 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

zChan

100+ Head-Fier
AKG K181DJ Impressions

Two weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to recieve a K181DJ as a gift from a fellow Head-fi'er! YEAH! He sure knows how to make me happy!

However, I havn't posted impressions about these headphones, because the first impressions were quite, um, bad. Really, bad.
First, I didn't notice that the bass-boost was on by default. However, even with bass boost off, the bass was flabby, had smearing highs, and had a really closed muffled headphone sound. In fact, I couldn't stand listening to them. I was very dissapointed, especially since its kid brother, the K81DJ, was getting rave reviews.

Two weeks later: its a different headphone. Whew!

[size=medium]
THESE FOLLOWING THOUGHTS ARE IN COMPARISON TO THE HD25-1,
[/size]

What do I like about it?
-Nice instrument seperatation, awesome soundstage. The cups arn't 2x the size of the HD25-1 for nothing.
-Comparatively flat, Natural sound. I really noticed how bass and treble happy the HD25-1 was when I was comparing the K181DJ.
-When properly amped, tight and dry percussions. Its addicting.

What do I don't like about it?
- The catch is Properly amped, The K181DJ needs to be amped to sound good, or at least from a G4 iPod. While the HD25-1 sounds good straight from the iPod, the K181DJ fails this test. It loses loses its magic, especially the dry, tight percussions. In short, the it becomes a dull and boring DJ headphone[size=xx-small]. Heh, thats a first.[/size] And this coming from a guy who listen to ER4s straight out of the iPod.
- Its big. It doesn't rest very well around the neck. Nuts.
- The cable hits my left shoulder when I move my head to the left. Agh!

Other Thoughts
- The Bass Boost give the K181DJ a scary amount of
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
- I have no idea what purpose the "mono <-> stereo" serves. It doesn't merge the L + R channels into a single output from the left cup as I originally thought. Instead, it seems just one of the channels and play the other from both cups...
- For its size, it's rather compact when stowing away, with the cable detached.

Picts recycled from "Official K-81 DJ thread"

Listened to
iPod G4 / D-NE920 -> Hornet -> HD25-1 / K181DJ
British Sea Power, Oh Larson B / Arcade Fire, Laika / System of the Down, Toxicity / Anolog Fish, Speed / Qururi, Nijiiro no Tenshi / Back Horn, Cobalt Blue (album version)

Mar 12, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 47
Too bad they need an amp. The only real reason to get these would be that they could give some of the AKG sound without needing am amp. I guess the Beyer DJ cans are a better choice; 25ohms and cheaper at ~$130.

Mar 12, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 47
soooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... which headphone do you like better?

Mar 12, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
soooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... which headphone do you like better?

The soundstage really is nice. That alone makes it really different from the ES7 or the HD25-1 (new toy syndrome). However, for the more agressive rock stuff (the songs where people goes nuts at live concerts), it just doesn't have the aggressive fun of the HD25-1 or the ES7.
For a more laid back listening, I like the K181DJ very much.

Mar 12, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 47
cool thanks for the info!, i was going to buy the k181, but now it sounds like i might like the 25's better.
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by phosfiend
Are the swivelly pivot gadgets made of metal, or plastic? And the mono feature is for single ear monitoring, and unless you're a dj I can't imagine it being remotely usefull

it's plastic.... yeah, liability. It looks and feels oh so fragile.

Mar 13, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by zChan
- I have no idea what purpose the "mono <-> stereo" serves. It doesn't merge the L + R channels into a single output from the left cup as I originally thought. Instead, it seems just one of the channels and play the other from both cups...

Get a mono-only radio with a headphone out, and you'll know what this is good for. (Otherwise a mono->stereo adapter is needed.) No idea why one would need that on a DJ headphone though - I know that there are mono-only setups, but one would think that it shouldn't be a problem to route one channel to both L and R then.
As for the amping requirements, I'd think that these would be driven by a mixer (or even dedicated amp) most of the time, which can usually provide enough juice.

Mar 13, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 47
Thanks for these concise and very informative impressions! I was really hoping somebody could get to compare it to the HD 25-1 and also focus on the practicability category.

With the amplification issue, big size and lack of decent around-the-neck-ability in mind, I'll probably stick with the HD 25-1 till I get to hear the K181 myself. AKG's nice minds, the big soundstage and bass boost feature are alluring thoughts however.

Are you keeping all three headphones and do you know if the K81 is smaller?

Mar 13, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Get a mono-only radio with a headphone out, and you'll know what this is good for. (Otherwise a mono->stereo adapter is needed.) No idea why one would need that on a DJ headphone though - I know that there are mono-only setups, but one would think that it shouldn't be a problem to route one channel to both L and R then.
As for the amping requirements, I'd think that these would be driven by a mixer (or even dedicated amp) most of the time, which can usually provide enough juice.

When DJing, the popular method of monitoring is to listen to the incoming CUE channel through the headphones on 1 ear while the other earcup is off and listening to the MASTER on the booth speakers. Since you're listening to 2 different stereo channels on 1 driver/speaker each, it's nice to have mono so you're not missing anything that would only be on a L or R channel.

Mar 14, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #13 of 47
Thanks everyone for the explanation on the use of the "mono" feature. One mystery solved.

Saint.Panda, I think will keep all 3.
biggrin.gif
. I usually don't sell headphones unless it gets too redundant. I never seen a K81DJ in person. The K181DJ is "just" a little smaller than the DJ1Pro.

I think I will spend a little more time with the K181DJ unamped. Maybe I may think differently. I may have been bit to harsh earlier.

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #14 of 47
Oh man, 3rd week and its gotten better.
I am now thinking that the amped K181DJ is a better headphone than the A900 or the ER4s! Unless the DT250-250 is better than this, my portable headphone search is over!

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #15 of 47
Oh man, I was hoping that you'd say it's not as good as the HD25-1 or about as good as the ES7...

Looks like it's time to open up the old wallet.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back