AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #991 of 1,489
Quote:
I just hope my pair arrives next week. I went with the cheapest shipping choice to keep the cost down.
Beagle how do you feel about the K167 compared to the K550 now that the mids are improving?

Y'know, that is a good question. When I go to the K550 after using the K167, they sound remarkable similar in the mids and treble. After a bit, I find the K167 bass a bit tighter and more distinct, and the treble a bit less bright and sharp. But the K550 may have a slight edge in the midrange. I still think the K167 is a tighter sonic package and the fit is comfy and precise, no shifting. But the K550 looks so nice..

ARRRRGGGGHH!!!!

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #992 of 1,489

So after a couple of days I am deciding to sell the akg's. I am not an audiophile per se but I do like to hear headphones with details while being smooth as well. While the beats disgust me, The akg's are way too rough on my ears vs the ue6000's. I had the m100's too but their bass signature was not to my liking as is the ue6000's while their highs and mids were still better and just as smooth if not more. For edm I still am in favor of the ue6000's vs. the akg. Also getting an amp would kill the value of the akg vs. the ue's if an amp is needed to sound better. My source is a galaxy s3 with wolfson audio and siyah kernel.

Pic Just incase anyone thinks I am a fanboy talking out of my *****.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #993 of 1,489
These cans REQUIRE an amp to show off their capabilities, dude. They sound WAY fuller, with lots of TIGHT/punchy/detailed bass for EDM ; )

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #995 of 1,489
Quote:
Also getting an amp would kill the value of the akg vs. the ue's if an amp is needed to sound better.

Not really. Even a budget amp like the Fiio e10 improves SQ quite a bit. And that's only if you think you're getting the amp strictly for the AKG's... Never think of these as your last cans, you are guaranteed to upgrade at some point, so it's probably a good idea to invest in an amp anyway.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #996 of 1,489
Not really. Even a budget amp like the Fiio e10 improves SQ quite a bit. And that's only if you think you're getting the amp strictly for the AKG's... Never think of these as your last cans, you are guaranteed to upgrade at some point, so it's probably a good idea to invest in an amp anyway.

Yes, that is good advice. An amp can and will most likely be used now and down the road. While on paper, the K167 appears to be quite an efficient headphone. But, when I listen to them, I have the volume level roughly in the same position is that of my modified T50RPs from Fostex. With the mods applied to the Fostex, the efficiency rating drops from 98dB to about 92dB. The K167 is 102/103dB, if I recall correctly.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #997 of 1,489
Well my other issues are comfort build quality noise isolation and leakage which the ue6000's trump the akg's in. Just different opinions. The warmth sound of the ue's are much more to my liking and like miow said the sound of the ue's is sleep inducing thus being my bedtime phones as well :)

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #998 of 1,489
Quote:
Well my other issues are comfort build quality noise isolation and leakage which the ue6000's trump the akg's in. Just different opinions. The warmth sound of the ue's are much more to my liking and like miow said the sound of the ue's is sleep inducing thus being my bedtime phones as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Does the Ultimate Ears UE-6000 provide a similar bass level and detail to that of the K167?  This is what won me over with the K167.  I bass detail just overwhelmed me after having many headphones that didn't quite impress me too much.  So far, the HE-400s and the K167s are "keepers" for my regular listening.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #999 of 1,489
IMO sound is very very subjective. Sure to my ears the ue 6000 has better bass but its a bit bloated compared to the Akg but my ears like bloated bass and rolled off highs but the vocals are much better on the ue6000's. Also to my ears edm was way to harsh on the akg's.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #1,001 of 1,489
Yeah, they felt cheaply built to me. They actually felt like the beats kind of plastic. I thought they sounded good. Not great, but real good. I could never get the damn jack in to the headphone. It was almost impossible for me to do so.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #1,002 of 1,489
Okay. I'm sorry with my nooby comments and questions guys but I just need a bit more advice.
I have the HD 25-1 ii's right now but I don't feel immersed in my music like I wish I could. The sound quality is decent though and I was looking at these new akgs as a solution but you guys are scaring me with the comments about the build. I'm still in high school and I'm probably going to be taking these headphones with me everyday and I'm afraid an accident will happen and I'll be ****ed.
I listen to a lot of metal, rap, and a bit of edm. My music isn't too bass heavy but I like it clear. It'd be nice to have the vocals sound crisp as well since screams sound stupid on certain headphones lol.
Would you guys still reccomend these for me or should I be looking at the ue6000's or something else?

(I still don't own an amp but I honestly can't afford over $60 on one if needed.)

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #1,003 of 1,489
Quote:
Yeah, they felt cheaply built to me. They actually felt like the beats kind of plastic. I thought they sounded good. Not great, but real good. I could never get the damn jack in to the headphone. It was almost impossible for me to do so.

I meant the jack on the device end. It would slide loose on its own and ruin the sound - but yeah, the headphone end was pretty bad too.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #1,004 of 1,489
OK...so I'm interested to hear how these would compare to build quality of grado Sr 60's? I've used mine for 15 years! I did have to re solder the wires on one side a year ago... But they've been trampled, abused, crammed in my backpacks a thousand times, and they're well burnt in ^_^

So... If they're at least comparable to those, I think some of you guys could be a little over concerned about build quality... I surmise that anyone that would be so concerned about build quality might be a million times more gentile than I am on hardware.

But, if the grado's are battle tanks, then I'm totally wrong. I'm just hoping that santa will be visiting my house with a pair this year... Well.. With 3 kids 5,4, and 1 - I know Santa has gone nuts already... :)

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #1,005 of 1,489
Quote:
Okay. I'm sorry with my nooby comments and questions guys but I just need a bit more advice.
I have the HD 25-1 ii's right now but I don't feel immersed in my music like I wish I could. The sound quality is decent though and I was looking at these new akgs as a solution but you guys are scaring me with the comments about the build. I'm still in high school and I'm probably going to be taking these headphones with me everyday and I'm afraid an accident will happen and I'll be ****ed.
I listen to a lot of metal, rap, and a bit of edm. My music isn't too bass heavy but I like it clear. It'd be nice to have the vocals sound crisp as well since screams sound stupid on certain headphones lol.
Would you guys still reccomend these for me or should I be looking at the ue6000's or something else?
(I still don't own an amp but I honestly can't afford over $60 on one if needed.)

As opposed to taking opinions of what other's perceive, you really should seek out the opportunity to hear the various headphones you're considering.  Only your ears can tell you what sounds sweet and pleasant.

Quote:
OK...so I'm interested to hear how these would compare to build quality of grado Sr 60's? I've used mine for 15 years! I did have to re solder the wires on one side a year ago... But they've been trampled, abused, crammed in my backpacks a thousand times, and they're well burnt in ^_^
So... If they're at least comparable to those, I think some of you guys could be a little over concerned about build quality... I surmise that anyone that would be so concerned about build quality might be a million times more gentile than I am on hardware.
But, if the grado's are battle tanks, then I'm totally wrong. I'm just hoping that santa will be visiting my house with a pair this year... Well.. With 3 kids 5,4, and 1 - I know Santa has gone nuts already... :)

The Grados of today - e.g. the SR-60i is hardly made quite as well as the models from 15 years ago.  Sure, Grado revised the cups for better sound, but it doesn't mean that the drivers are built as well.  Or, the current head band on the the SR-60i?  It' is really cheap plastic that covers the metal piece.  In order to stay within the Grado family, one would have to invest a bit - upwards of $400, or so, to get a great set of wooden cups, a leather head band, etc. to make them capable of their best potential with sound and comfort.

Again, though, please keep in mind that all companies build obsolescence into their products.  Gone are the days of having a toaster for 40 years.  One just buys a new cheap one for $11.00 and tosses the old one in the trash.  The same thing with headphones, too.  They're made to not last as long, but to fail in one form or another, so you have to buy more.  Given the Grado drivers having a better build from 15 years ago, there is also the chance that the newer ones could sound quite a bit better, even though the drivers are built more cheaply.  But, it's all up to what your ears like and your personal satisfaction.  If you've made the leap and invested into a new pair, then you have to love what you hear and you have to feel comfortable with what you spent to make your ears happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back