AKG k 701 vs Audio-technica ath-M50
Oct 26, 2010 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Lan647

1000+ Head-Fier
As the title says...

Which one of these would YOU choose?

The ath M50 is a louder can than the k 701, and the 701 is an open-back headphone. A matter of taste, it appears - since the sound is told to be very equal.

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 46
K701 would beat the M50 in almost every aspect technically. They just require a good amp to do so.  Whether one prefers the sound sig is another matter entirely but the K701 should be on a whole other level.

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 46

Quote:
K701 would beat the M50 in almost every aspect technically. They just require a good amp to do so.  Whether one prefers the sound sig is another matter entirely but the K701 should be on a whole other level.

Okay, too bad the K701 is a white can, (i hate white) but there is always the k 702 for twice the price
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #4 of 46
they're not in the same class, so no comparison here.

It's just about your preference for sound signature and your set-up, if you ready to get good dac + desktop amp, K701 is no brainer. Otherwise, if you just want to run simple set-up, said like direct from your ipod, sure M50 is better.

For sound signature, K701 will deliver more natural, transparan, spacious, better staging and cleaner sound. M50 will offering bigger bass.

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #5 of 46
The K701 and K702 are around the same price (in the $250 range) most of the time. Dunno why the price has fluctuated so much lately.

In any case, the M50s and the K701 are nowhere near comparable. Yes, the K701 has a lot of room for growth, and can sound hi fi, while the M50s are an easily accessible way into becoming a budding audiophile.

In any case, it's also the age old debate of open vs closed, and whether you like a fun sound over more of a reference type sound.

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #6 of 46

Quote:
The K701 and K702 are around the same price (in the $250 range) most of the time. Dunno why the price has fluctuated so much lately.

In any case, the M50s and the K701 are nowhere near comparable. Yes, the K701 has a lot of room for growth, and can sound hi fi, while the M50s are an easily accessible way into becoming a fledging auudiophile.

In any case, it's also the age old debate of open vs closed, and whether you like a fun sound over more of a reference type sound.

Yes. In my country the 701 sales for 250 and the 702 for 370, hehe. 

Open vs closes yes. I like open better, but closed cans also prevents leakage... a tough choice...

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 46
As for  closed headphone closer to the K701's higher end quality, I'd probably choose something like the DT770/600 or AKG K271 MKII (or K272 HD) over anything else.

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 46
Where did you hear these two were equal? I'd venture to say almost nothing about them is equivalent, least of all the sonic signature. I had the M50 briefly and can tell you they have lots of mid/upper bass and lower midrange but recessed upper midrange. The K70x is pretty much the exact opposite. Amp-wise, as has been pointed out the AKG needs one in a big way. They're famous for their difficulty to power properly. The M50...not so much. It didn't improve much for me with amplification. Usage-wise, while both are technically studio cans, the M50 is more of a tracking 'phone (it has the perfect sonic signature for this), whereas the AKG would be utterly useless in that capacity (open design) but would be a great reference for mixing.

If you're looking for neutral, the M50 would not be a recommendation. If you're looking for fun...I guess I'm not a very objective judge as I found them terribly uninvolving and thick-sounding, which seems to be an against the grain impression.

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #10 of 46
No. The two are very different. And I love both.

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #11 of 46

Quote:
I was looking into the K272 HD and the ATH-M50 is said to be a lot better in terms of overall sound quality

I hear the K272HD has a pretty flat response, which is favored by many people over the slightly fun, bassy response of the M50s. I myself haven't heard the K271 MKII or 272 HD...

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 46
"The K701 and K702 are around the same price (in the $250 range) most of the time. Dunno why the price has fluctuated so much lately."

It's due to the availability of the 7 band and 8 band akg k701 serials.

This is another post comparing apples to oranges. There's almost nothing sonically similar with the two cans. The k701 is coldly to transient analytical while the other is a closed bass-ample lively phone.

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 46
the two headphones couldn't be more different.  I think if you're are considering these 2, it means you need to do more research and thinking into what kind of headphone you need, and what kind of sound you want.  These phones are different enough that you can't say one is better than the other.  It's just going to be about preferred sonic signature as to which on you would like more.  Someone above said that the K701 is natural, neutral, and that the M50 has lots of bass.  Well, I am of the opposite opinion.  I think the K701 sounds unnatural, and lacks bass, and the M50 is much more natural and neutral.  If the M50 cost more than the K701, I would still rather buy the M50. 

You might want to start with something cheaper like a ksc-75 so you get an idea of what you like, and go from there. 

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #15 of 46
"I think if you're are considering these 2, it means you need to do more research and thinking into what kind of headphone you need, and what kind of sound you want."

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back