AKG 702 sound
Jan 19, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #31 of 80
Though pictures tell a 1000 words, may I for a while diverge from the illustrations? The 701 and 650 are better in different contexts (e.g. amp, music and especially the CD recording), which is why I find hard to sell any one of them. For female vocals, the warmth and smoothness of HD650 hit home run. For classical and other instrumental music, airiness and analytic cans are better to pick out the string and other vibration effects... I think context matters, while comparing ..... many other issues as well.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #32 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickEC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though pictures tell a 1000 words, may I for a while diverge from the illustrations? The 701 and 650 are better in different contexts (e.g. amp, music and especially the CD recording), which is why I find hard to sell any one of them. For female vocals, the warmth and smoothness of HD650 hit home run. For classical and other instrumental music, airiness and analytic cans are better to pick out the string and other vibration effects... I think context matters, while comparing ..... many other issues as well.

I agree but I would like to add that IMO the 650 covers a bigger range of genres than the 701. You didnt like the pictures?
atsmile.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #33 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is very important that headphones like these are placed correctly on one's head otherwise there might be sound leakage.
cool.gif
evil_smiley.gif

* golf clap *

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #34 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree but I would like to add that IMO the 650 covers a bigger range of genres than the 701. You didnt like the pictures?
atsmile.gif

Agree. HD650 are more versatile. I didn't dislike the pics, and that is the problem. I need to think straight, ya? Does anyone has strict preference for any of the two pics? Yes and no i guess, just like the cans case.

Oh yes, though repeated hell many times, still wish to caution that if one does not wish to budget for a reasonable amp, better not get the K701. HD650 are similar to a lesser extend. Get Grado or ATH for examples, which are easier to drive.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #35 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickEC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree. HD650 are more versatile. I didn't dislike the pics, and that is the problem. I need to think straight, ya? Does anyone has strict preference for any of the two pics? Yes and no i guess, just like the cans case.

Oh yes, though repeated hell many times, still wish to caution that if one does not wish to budget for a reasonable amp, better not get the K701. HD650 are similar to a lesser extend. Get Grado or ATH for examples, which are easier to drive.

I think you should be fine with the 6XX as long as you have a tube amp with plenty of tube rolling options.

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #37 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmmm...The K-702 sounds more like this.
wink_face.gif

3245830422_bc6753b091_o.jpg

Here's something to think about:

3245071991_7b5997951f_o.png

The 701/2 sounds like a young vulcan man with huge boobs? I would agree with that! If I had a dollar for every time someone posted that graph to indicate the 701 has plenty of bass, that it obviously doesn't have, then I would be buying the HD800.

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #38 of 80
Quote:

The 701/2 sounds like a young vulcan man with huge boobs? I would agree with that! If I had a dollar for every time someone posted that graph to indicate the 701 has plenty of bass, that it obviously doesn't have, then I would be buying the HD800.

I laughed hard. Seriously though, posting that graph illustrates why you can't always go by graphs for this sort of thing. I've never heard either phone, but everything I've read from people who own both suggests the 650 is the bassier phone.

For the record, between the 650 and the 701, I'd pick the 701...and I'm getting a pair this week. I'll be sure to compare it to my AD700 once it arrives.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #39 of 80
Quote:

Looks to me like you might need more of the balanced K701...

Think about this scenario: you're going to save your money for the HD800 and after you fall in love with them, you're going to compare them to the balanced K701 and then you'll discover that the 701 sounds better and the HD800 was just a cheap imitation. What happens then? You'll discover the beauty of the Vulcan ladies and you don't have to date a sofa anymore.
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #40 of 80
Quote:

Think about this scenario: you're going to save your money for the HD800 and after you fall in love with them, you're going to compare them to the balanced K701 and then you'll discover that the 701 sounds better and the HD800 was just a cheap imitation. What happens then? You'll discover the beauty of the Vulcan ladies and you don't have to date a sofa anymore.
wink.gif

You just sit around dreaming this stuff up dont you?
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #41 of 80
Quote:

You just sit around dreaming this stuff up dont you?
ksc75smile.gif

Well, The HD 800 cost like ED9, look like Qualia, and they want to have the sound definition and the sound stage of the K70X. Oh yes, and the driver technology came in a dream...
eek.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #43 of 80
Quote:

Think about this scenario: you're going to save your money for the HD800 and after you fall in love with them, you're going to compare them to the balanced K701 dream and then you'll discover that the 701 sounds better and the HD800 dreaming again was just a cheap imitation. more dreams What happens then? You'll discover the beauty of the Vulcan ladies and you don't have to date a sofa anymore. yet another dream

confused_face_2.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #44 of 80
i got a brand new k702 after 30hours break in make it sounds better.
but i would say it is far from warm.the sound stage is bigger than hd600 and grado rs1.
try grado rs1 or w5000 if you wanna warm sound.

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #45 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by uptou2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got a brand new k702 after 30hours break in make it sounds better.
but i would say it is far from warm.the sound stage is bigger than hd600 and grado rs1.
try grado rs1 or w5000 if you wanna warm sound.

Wait till you hit 350+ hours on the K702s. My 701s sound so much sweeter and a lot warmer now than they were out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back