AKG 701 boring?
Oct 28, 2010 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

gechu

Head-Fier

I´ve used these headphones for more than two years, paired up with a DIYmod Ipod video 5.5 gen +V-Cap Dock. But it is no fun. The sound is too analytical for my taste, I guess. The reason I´m writing this is because I just realized that I find my old Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro much more enjoyable.

What should I do?

/Erik

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 59
no amp? i would find them boring as well then.

I enjoy the k701 very much with a gamma2 and M^3.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 59
Buy something with a different sound signature. That sounds the simple problem here, you just don't like the sound. Everyone has different tastes.

An amp would help too mind you.

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 59
I wouldn't buy an amp for a headphone unless you already like it, and just want it to sound better. 

If you don't agree with the basic sound of a headphone, no amount of amps and sources will fix it.  Start with something you like, and upgrade amps/sources/cables if you want to improve it. 

You might want to try an HD600 if you want a very balanced phone.  Really depends on your taste though....

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 59

Quote:
I wouldn't buy an amp for a headphone unless you already like it, and just want it to sound better. 

If you don't agree with the basic sound of a headphone, no amount of amps and sources will fix it.  Start with something you like, and upgrade amps/sources/cables if you want to improve it. 

You might want to try an HD600 if you want a very balanced phone.  Really depends on your taste though....

Well stated!
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #14 of 59
Quite funny indeed
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't find the K702 boring, even when powered by a DAP. I find that when they are underpowered they lack some extension, control, and cohesiveness of the sound. They also tend to clip. 

It's funny how everyone immediately jumps on "You don't have an amp, that's why they are boring". Amps are not always essential, even for the K702 as I think they sound rather nice without an amp. Amping them of course does help them but they sound fine when not amped.

It's quite simple why you do not like them and that's because they can sound rather flat (a.k.a. neutral) and some people just don't like that sound at all. Poorly mastered material or compressed music can sound very lifeless on these babies. I would also recommend a change of sound and get something like the HD600 or DT880. Both of those are more lively and not nearly as analytical and neutral (especially the HD600 as it's pretty warm and fun sounding) sounding.

Quote:
It might improve if you paint it fluorescent green.

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #15 of 59
Hi guys and thanks for all replies! And sorry for forgetting to write down my complete specs. Here are the missing parts:

- Rockbox running FLAC only
- Corda Headsix amp

Any more headphones thant HD600 and DT880 that I should look into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back