AKG 375 vs Yamaha-EPH 100 vs Audio Technica ATH-CKM1000
Oct 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

audiobot

500+ Head-Fier

Does anyone have info on the AKG 375? AKG is coming off their well renowned K3003 and the 375 is supposedly their 2nd flagship. Are these similar to the Yamaha EPH-100 in terms of sound? Are the CKM1000 worth the price? I am a huge sucker for AUdio Technica and can't seem to distance myself from their signature sound. Any help would be most beneficial. 

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 19
No idea about the K375, but I will say something about the EPH-100 and CKM1000.

I think you're better off getting the CKM99; it's a better value than the CKM1000. Yes, the CKM1000 is better, and prettier, but it's a relatively small incremental improvement over the CKM99. The two share the same sonic signature, and the CKM1000 is only that tiny bit more refined and detailed, for about double the price. The EPH-100 is good bang for buck, undoubtedly. It's decent fun; the FXD80 could also be a good choice, with more of a classical "Japanese" style sound.

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
No idea about the K375, but I will say something about the EPH-100 and CKM1000.

I think you're better off getting the CKM99; it's a better value than the CKM1000. Yes, the CKM1000 is better, and prettier, but it's a relatively small incremental improvement over the CKM99. The two share the same sonic signature, and the CKM1000 is only that tiny bit more refined and detailed, for about double the price. The EPH-100 is good bang for buck, undoubtedly. It's decent fun; the FXD80 could also be a good choice, with more of a classical "Japanese" style sound.

Hey man thanks for the reply. I looked at the CKM99 but the lack of cable cinch really concerns me. Also I like the build of the CKM1000, especially the titanium plug in being that my CK10 died on me twice with problems on that end. 

I read before that you prefer the CKW1000 to the CKM1000 (I think it was u). Are these two models as close in competitive sound quality to that of the CK10 and CK100? 

And by the way, I listen to Hip Hop and I am crazy about my Rock music when it comes to iem's, so am I on the right path in terms of what is right for my listening tastes?

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
Hey man thanks for the reply. I looked at the CKM99 but the lack of cable cinch really concerns me. Also I like the build of the CKM1000, especially the titanium plug in being that my CK10 died on me twice with problems on that end. 

I read before that you prefer the CKW1000 to the CKM1000 (I think it was u). Are these two models as close in competitive sound quality to that of the CK10 and CK100? 

And by the way, I listen to Hip Hop and I am crazy about my Rock music when it comes to iem's, so am I on the right path in terms of what is right for my listening tastes?

The CKM99 doesn't have a cinch? Really? That's news to me...

The CKM1000 is indeed beautiful. Yes, it was me that preferred the CKW to the CKM. The 'woody' sound was a very nice alternative to the cold, steely nature of the CKM1000. It seemed to bring better layering into the mix, compared to the CKM1000, which had slightly more clarity. The CKM series is very different from the CK series, and the CK100 is also the odd one out of the group as well. Dynamic is always going to sound very different from BA --- if you're coming from the CK10, though, then the CKM1000 might be a good match; it's the closest I've come to hear an ATH dynamic come close to their BA sound signature.

At the same time, if you're considering the CKM1000, you can consider the CK100 PRO in the same bracket; I think it's the rightful successor to the CK10 and, in my opinion, the most technically proficient universal three-driver, three-way to come out of the "big brands". It is easily on par with (mostly better than) the four driver models --- gorgeous clean sound, black background, great imaging. Unfortunately, it has that characteristic ATH hot treble as well, which may possibly be the worst offender of all. Sibilance is sometimes unbearable, even to sibilance-tolerant me (getting less and less tolerant as the years go on). The housing is also very heavy (the housing of the CKM1000 is very heavy as well) and the removable cables, while excellent, kind of have a strange fit (though it should fit everyone fine).

Hip-Hop and Rock usually have pretty compressed and sloppily-mastered tracks. I'm surprised you survived that long with a CK10. If you like the way this music sounds on a CK10, then you should have no issues with the other ATH earphones. In fact, you might have a problem with other ones, since they might sound too warm and fuzzy for your tastes.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 19
Dude you are awesome. Thanks a lot for the comprehensive response. I am not sure if I have gone the route of an analytical listener than that of the dynamic. I went from ipod earphones to the DBA-02 to the ck10. I went with the ck10 because of Joker's recommendation. His description of the comfort and housing of the headphones sold me on them. Unlike the DBA-02, which i really liked, which felt too bulky in my ear and the cable cinch would not hold in place either. A lot of these iem's sound great and the difference in quality wouldn't be such a huge burden for most, so that's why I have a heavy emphasis on feel and construct of the product. Nothing worse than buying an expensive set of headphones only to have them die on you after a year of use (I would know).

Thanks again 
beerchug.gif

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 19
The unfortunate part about the CK10 is that you're now never going to be able to use earphones with less clarity, so even if they sound great, you'll probably think they're missing something.

The cable rotates downward; it doesn't have to be around the ear. However, the CKM is more naturally designed for under-ear wear.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 19
That is what I fear most. This mental block in my head telling me that the sound isn't the same.The weight of the ckm1000 as you mentioned is causing me some concern. The ck10s were soo small and light, it is why I have eyes on the yamaha eph-100 and this AKG 375/374. What to do, what to do. 

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 19
This might be a stupid question but if one was to choose between IE80 and CKM1000 which would be better, sound wise?

I enjoy transparent and wide soundstage, with decent instrument sepration. Not a bass head at all, prefer balance.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 19
also was thinking about the EX1000 but I fell in love the CKM99 (design)'m hoping that in another topic respodan a question compared to IE80 and CKM1000. Maybe buy you CKM1000. If not, I will buy the EX1000

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #13 of 19
Today I recieved the k375s from harmanaudio.com and have to say I was utterly disgusted at the sound quality. I am currently in the process of returning them. I put them side by side with apple earpods and apple earpods blew them out of the water. Anyone who buys the k375s is getting ripped off.

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #14 of 19
Today I recieved the k375s from harmanaudio.com and have to say I was utterly disgusted at the sound quality. I am currently in the process of returning them. I put them side by side with apple earpods and apple earpods blew them out of the water. Anyone who buys the k375s is getting ripped off.
For dynamic earphones you generally need to loosen up the driver

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

I'm sorry, but just as a general rule I wouldn't trust anyone's opinion here about any product with just five posts. 

It is true that haven't been a lot of reviews on the K375/374, but the ones I've found on Amazon.jpn, for example, have all been very positive. I've on found found in the states, and that was highly positive too. Dynamics need burn in and a chance to open up too. Again, I would be suspicious of reviews from baby-fresh head-fiers just popping up out of the blue. But that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back