AKG 272 question...
Sep 17, 2011 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

galbenush

New Head-Fier
Hello all. I decided to buy a decent pair of headphones but i am a newbie when it comes to the world of hi-fi audio. I set my eyes on a pair of AKG 272 after some intensive research on forums...I do not have the opportunity to test them and hear how they sound, but from what i saw on the web they are pretty much what i am looking for...(a clean sound, not "coloured", not too much bass, balanced overall, suited for all genre of music, and according to reviews one of the best pair of headphones in their price range)

However, my budget only allows  me to buy these headphones and no amp.... I intend to plug them into a PC(on board sound card), thru an audio receiver( kenwood krf-14030-s). What i want to know is if it will be enough to get a good sound out of them with this configuration. I know that they will not sound as good as with a dedicated amp, and a better soundcard, but my budget only allows me this configuration... So can pluging the cans to the receiver be a decent solution ? (at least for a while until i raise some money for an amp...)

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 4
Receiver is a amp
Headphone amps are a luxury.

I use a receiver for everything, and I love it.

The AKG 272 are able to be driven without a amp, but best if with one. Your receiver will be enough.

Look at the FiiO E7 and Ibasso D-zero for amp options.
Second thought, HM-101 would work good too.

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 4
Ty for the quick reply. I know that my receiver will have the power to drive the headphones. Probably even beyond their limits, considering that the cans i have now are 40ohms i think (the akg are 55 ohms) and they only handle almost half of the receiver's power.(they tend to vibrate on my ears and get very loud, and curiously, they still do not distort :D).

I hope that the AKG will behave the same...and i will get a good balanced sound just thru the receiver...

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 4
Source matters more. You would get cleaner performance out of a decent portable device, rather than your computer's on-board sound card. If you can get the signal digitally to your receiver, that might help as well. And try to refrain from using any upsampling in Windows. In other words, if it's Vista or newer, just check the 44.1kHz as sample-rate in sound device settings. If it's XP, the sound quality is quite horrid and I would suggest getting an external sound card and use it via ASIO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back