Airpods pro
Oct 31, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #49 of 527
I'm happy to report call quality so far is excellent w/ these, have done about 1.5 hours of meetings without a blip. Even w/ the G2 Airpods I get occasional stutters reported by my teammates so I reverted back to using a wired mic. I'll update in a couple more weeks if these are stable enough.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #50 of 527
My 2017 MacBook Pro supports aptX. ANd fill me in if you would - what's TW?

Actually, it appears that Apple has removed AptX support from their MacBooks with the release of Catalina. There's been no definitive response from Apple on the matter but I've not seen anyone who's successfully used AptX since upgrading.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #51 of 527
Actually, it appears that Apple has removed AptX support from their MacBooks with the release of Catalina. There's been no definitive response from Apple on the matter but I've not seen anyone who's successfully used AptX since upgrading.

Sucky if true. I'll check on my laptop later this morning and report what I find out.

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #55 of 527
On a commuter train, the ANC is acceptable - not as intrusive as the Sony variant (that keeps changing to pass through mode by itself) - SQ is acceptable, and the look is a fair bit better than non Pro versions...

I’m okay with these.

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #56 of 527
I must confess, though high quality sound of course still is my preference, I am getting more and more jealous on the features, convenience and usability that true wireless earphones offer. I still don`t get why audiophile companies don`t try harder to get their feet in the door. Only a few half-hearted products that are mostly even not made by themselves (they just put their branding on it) and not any better than the standard true wireless earbuds. To me, it is obvious this is going to be the future of all portable audio and cables will be obsolete. Apple is headding towards the right direction here imo.
I feel us audiophiles are a bit like the ones that said only some years ago that digital photography is never going to reach the level of analog photography. But where are we now? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Don’t get me wrong — in the right circumstances, I love my Audeze iSine 20 and will not be replacing them anytime soon. But in the past two years I’ve found that I just keep using wireless IEMs because they’re so much more convenient. Admittedly, some of that is because of the removal of the headphone jack, but it’s nice not having wires getting tangled up when I grab my laptop bag. The Airpods Pro are a remarkable iteration on this — super small case, good enough isolation (especially with ANC enabled), and sound that doesn’t blow me away, but is good enough for phone calls, podcasts, and background music listening. I hated the sound of hte original AirPods, but I kept a pair in my pocket at almost all times because they were so convenient. The APPs are a monster upgrade in all ways from the originals, and totally worth the extra money, IMO.

Oct 31, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #57 of 527
I'm considering purchasing a pair of the Airpod Pros or Powerbeats Pro. Has anyone compared these against the Powerbeats Pro? I tend to listen to a lot of rap music so whichever pair has better bass with a deeper extension would be my preference. Any info on a comparison between the sound quality of these two would be appreciated!

Oct 31, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #58 of 527
After some more use, I really like the sound sig, it sounds well balanced. It doesn't have any wonky weirdness to the sound like some iems/headphones can have. Perhaps the adaptive EQ is working. I would like to know how it works.

Also the feel is like I have nothing on because I don't see the wires and the fit feels light.

It seemed well designed. The squeeze button system make so much sense. Some TW iems you have to push the button on the housing, and I dont't like how the earpiece gets pushed. With the squeezable nozzle, there is no such issue. This makes the extended nozzle practical part of the earpiece. Squeezable buttons function quite well.

Also, signal quality is really great, no signal drop or weirdness so far that I've experienced with other TW.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #59 of 527
Perhaps the adaptive EQ is working. I would like to know how it works.

I scanned a bunch of reviews for more info but it's scant. According to Cult of Mac "Adaptive EQ works constantly while you use AirPods Pro, adjusting the sound signal 200 times a second. It automatically tunes your music to suit the shape of your ears."

I dunno why it would do that continuously though unless it acted as some sort of compressor/filter. Apple describes it as: "automatically tunes the low- and mid-frequencies of the music to the shape of an individual’s ear"

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #60 of 527
I scanned a bunch of reviews for more info but it's scant. Apparently it scans your ear 200 times a second to keep the eq in check... I dunno why it would do that continuously though unless it acted as some sort of compressor/filter. Apple describes it as: "automatically tunes the low- and mid-frequencies of the music to the shape of an individual’s ear"
If 200 times a sec is true, that's rediculous. I kinda doubt this, there is no way there is tech than can do that in such small form-factor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back