AirPods Max
Oct 27, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #5,476 of 5,629
I think what @tyk103 was trying to describe as artificial top end as it was metal sound when is not. This is true when you compare it to other headphones. The treble is there and quite defined but it as some kind of synthetic aspect of the sound that makes them sound artificial too much dsp working behind. It tries to make you feel you are listening to something natural until you hear a real and natural sound and compare...
Sorry, but I don't hear anything like that on my APM. Do you own the APM?

Nov 1, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #5,481 of 5,629
While I pull out my APM rather seldom, I'd not ascribe anything artificial to its sound signature... Actually each time I do listen to them, I ask myself why I don't take them out more often. I bought them with the hope of ending my headphone journey -- not because I expected them to be the best headphone ever, but getting the balance right between sound, comfort and features. And they do. But in the end I just love the M-100, and how much fun they give me. Despite being wired.

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #5,482 of 5,629
Hello, I decided to give these a try today as I noticed they were ~$100 off open box @ Best Buy. While in general so far I'd say they sound solid, I'm a bit confused about the "Atmos" implementation.

I've spot listened to a few albums (The recent Beatles remixes & Taylor Swifts new album) and while yes the sound goes "with" me when I turn my head, I can't say that I notice anything whatsoever in terms of an Atmos "surround" mix in these songs. Sporadically in the past I've listened to some headphones that attempt to simulate 5.1 sound and it at least did work to SOME degree, so I guess I'm just a bit confused here as to what I'm hearing and how many of these things that say "Atmos" are tangibly simulating 7.1/surround sound. If you were to ask me blind, I'd just say these are regular stereo mixes. And I have the setting on "Automatic" for Atmos in my iPad. Thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #5,484 of 5,629
Finally got a pair (Amazon Renewed $380, they look brand new) after months and months of debate. The sound is a bit muddy to me but the more I use them the more I get used to them and they keep improving. NC is very good and I look forward to using them on my travels. The design is just superb, brings joy just to have them on my head in transparency mode all day, and the convenience of having a cloud library has me listening to old and new music again . And Spatial Audio watching Apple TV+ is a night and day difference.

Will be selling my ZX300 setup..

Nov 9, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #5,485 of 5,629
Finally got a pair (Amazon Renewed $380, they look brand new) after months and months of debate. The sound is a bit muddy to me but the more I use them the more I get used to them and they keep improving. NC is very good and I look forward to using them on my travels. The design is just superb, brings joy just to have them on my head in transparency mode all day, and the convenience of having a cloud library has me listening to old and new music again . And Spatial Audio watching Apple TV+ is a night and day difference.

Will be selling my ZX300 setup..
You mention the design. I wholeheartedly agree. These cans are mass-produced in a factory, yet they look and feel like they were lovingly handmade by a master craftsperson.

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #5,487 of 5,629
I had sold mine, now I have the Apple TV thinking of picking them back up as they seem to be a great pairing for that.

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #5,488 of 5,629
I finally had a chance to test mine on a commuter railroad. While the ANC is fantastic when I'm using them at home, I found it to be lackluster in a noisier setting. The rumble of the tracks and the station announcements were audible even while playing music.

Disappointing as that is, using them while commuting isn't something I had planned to do routinely anyway. But I think it's at least worth noting.

Nov 26, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #5,489 of 5,629
Over the past several months I thought about getting one, and listening to it at an Apple store I was fairly impressed with its sound. But ultimately, I decided that it was too expensive for a headphone that is technically incapable of reproducing even CD-quality audio because not only Bluetooth limits the transfer capability, but using the AirPods Max wired from an iPhone requires a triple-conversion (digital to analog via the $9 Lightning-to-3.5 adapter, then back to digital via an optional $35 USD 3.5-to-Lightning cable and the headphone's own Lightning input, and then finally back to analog inside the headphone's output circuitry). If the output source is not fully analog to begin with, then what is the point of using the AirPods Max wired?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #5,490 of 5,629
Apple had a $120 gift card with purchase so have the APM again - super easy switching over to Apple TV and sounds great with Berlin Philharmonic app!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back