AirPods Max
Dec 6, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #5,506 of 5,629
Saw this on Discord from Resolve who's been testing a bunch of ANC headphones

"Sound quality: Bathys > Momentum 3 > UX3000 > Momentum 4 > 5909 > N700NCM2 > APM > Bose 700 > QC45 > WH-1000XM5 >>>>>>>> PX8

But, picks 2-4 are somewhat interchangeable on what you value"

Of note, I think he EQs things, so those might not be the default tunings ranked.

Then on his recent live stream he put the APP2 as better (sound quality) than the APM and below the N700NCM2.

At the end of the day he said if he was going to leave the house with an ANC device, it would be the APP2 because of it's form factor, convenience, ANC, and sound quality.

Dec 7, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #5,507 of 5,629
Saw this on Discord from Resolve who's been testing a bunch of ANC headphones

"Sound quality: Bathys > Momentum 3 > UX3000 > Momentum 4 > 5909 > N700NCM2 > APM > Bose 700 > QC45 > WH-1000XM5 >>>>>>>> PX8
Worthy of the label „funny“ :wink:

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #5,511 of 5,629
would it be a good idea to get the airpods max if i primarily plan to use them at my desk/media/gaming area only for the most part and wired so i dont have any latency?

from my what i have tried i dont like any closed back headphones and cant afford to try more as no place near me has any to try and cant buy and return constantly also i love the ie 600 iem, might keep that or airpods max based on what i like more or is more comfortable

idk if you watch video game streams but i know a popular world of warcraft streamer uses the airpods max all the time on his stream so i guess there are people who do that

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #5,512 of 5,629
would it be a good idea to get the airpods max if i primarily plan to use them at my desk/media/gaming area only for the most part and wired so i dont have any latency?

from my what i have tried i dont like any closed back headphones and cant afford to try more as no place near me has any to try and cant buy and return constantly also i love the ie 600 iem, might keep that or airpods max based on what i like more or is more comfortable

idk if you watch video game streams but i know a popular world of warcraft streamer uses the airpods max all the time on his stream so i guess there are people who do that
I think the APM is primarily a wireless headphone, with the cable option just to cater to some very specific use cases. I think getting a wireless headphone that has a good passive mode might get you better results with less money invested…

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #5,513 of 5,629
thanks but there are no closed back i like as much as this and iem hurt my ears after a while so far from what i have tried and i cant try any more local and i cant buy and return stuff as i have done that too much already

how long would an airpod max last me in years iyo if i take good care of it?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #5,514 of 5,629
thanks but there are no closed back i like as much as this and iem hurt my ears after a while so far from what i have tried and i cant try any more local and i cant buy and return stuff as i have done that too much already

how long would an airpod max last me in years iyo if i take good care of it?
They’re only 2 years old, so I think nobody can tell you yet… mine look like new, but I seldom use them.

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #5,515 of 5,629
While I pull out my APM rather seldom, I'd not ascribe anything artificial to its sound signature... Actually each time I do listen to them, I ask myself why I don't take them out more often. I bought them with the hope of ending my headphone journey -- not because I expected them to be the best headphone ever, but getting the balance right between sound, comfort and features. And they do. But in the end I just love the M-100, and how much fun they give me. Despite being wired.
I’m currently recovering from an ear canal infection and am trying to avoid IEM:s for at least a month or so. I just pulled out mine and listened to some music for the first time in a while and was asking myself the same question.

I think the main thing that prevents me from using them more is that my ears get pretty hot. A lot more so than with other closed backs. Not sure if it’s the heat from the batteries or something in with ear pad material.

It’s also that I don’t really have any real use case for them. For work I use my Atom stack with the Ollo S4R.

On the go it’s the Airpods Pro 2 for convenience or Ety ER2SE if I need the passive isolation.

At home if everything is quiet I take out the trusty old HD600:s

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #5,516 of 5,629
I had Max, i wonder what is Max’s function today; Airpods pro 2 has same or better soundquality and does not leak sound outside. Max leaks, that’s why i sold them.
Now i luckily have APP2, fantastic product. Apple kind of shooted oneself in the foot when launched APP2. Max is kind of useless now.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #5,517 of 5,629
I’m currently recovering from an ear canal infection and am trying to avoid IEM:s for at least a month or so. I just pulled out mine and listened to some music for the first time in a while and was asking myself the same question.

I think the main thing that prevents me from using them more is that my ears get pretty hot. A lot more so than with other closed backs. Not sure if it’s the heat from the batteries or something in with ear pad material.

It’s also that I don’t really have any real use case for them. For work I use my Atom stack with the Ollo S4R.

On the go it’s the Airpods Pro 2 for convenience or Ety ER2SE if I need the passive isolation.

At home if everything is quiet I take out the trusty old HD600:s
The material of the pads is a touch scratchy, but overall quite OK. I don't feel like I get overly hot ears, and I enjoy the deep cups. I use them more often the past months, and yes, I do enjoy them quite a bit. Actually they sound excellent. And they present nice, clean and very deep reaching bass, which I love.

Jan 6, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #5,518 of 5,629
I had Max, i wonder what is Max’s function today; Airpods pro 2 has same or better soundquality and does not leak sound outside. Max leaks, that’s why i sold them.
Now i luckily have APP2, fantastic product. Apple kind of shooted oneself in the foot when launched APP2. Max is kind of useless now.
I would not consider the APM useless after release of the APP2, but the APP2 does reach an impressive level of audio performance. I never used the APM on the go, where I normally use my M-100 but also enjoy the APP2 at times -- it offers not only very good audio quality, but also excellent noise cancelling and I always have it in my pocket. That's simply not possible with the APM of course...

An Apple audio engineer stated that one of the goals for the APP2 was to offer the audio quality of the APM. I think they mostly reached that target, but the APM still has a more powerful presentation (I don't mean it going louder, but having a more substantial presence). I now feel zero urge to take the APM out. And yes, at their price point the APP2 is the better deal.

Jan 6, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #5,519 of 5,629
The material of the pads is a touch scratchy, but overall quite OK. I don't feel like I get overly hot ears, and I enjoy the deep cups. I use them more often the past months, and yes, I do enjoy them quite a bit. Actually they sound excellent. And they present nice, clean and very deep reaching bass, which I love.
The way they keep the bass in control is better than anything else I’ve heard and I suspect this is thanks to DSP which would obviously be tricky to do on passive phones.

Jan 6, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #5,520 of 5,629
The way they keep the bass in control is better than anything else I’ve heard and I suspect this is thanks to DSP which would obviously be tricky to do on passive phones.
Very much so. Yes, they quite nailed that DSP controlled audio thing (just as with the original HomePod, which has excellent bass capabilities for its size).

I generally despise DSP corrected headphones, but I'm sure Apple did not skip the driver tuning (like Sony does with their ANC 1000-something headphones that sound like sh.t when the battery dies), but went beyond that by then optimizing with DSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back