AirPods Max
Sep 9, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #5,446 of 5,629
I haven't used my AirPods Max for awhile and put them on to watch the Apple Keynote and got a notification on my phone to setup a customized profile based on my ear shape. (I'm on the beta iOS 16) This is a new feature that was mentioned for the new AirPods Pro. Anyone else tried this?

Sep 9, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #5,447 of 5,629
I haven't used my AirPods Max for awhile and put them on to watch the Apple Keynote and got a notification on my phone to setup a customized profile based on my ear shape. (I'm on the beta iOS 16) This is a new feature that was mentioned for the new AirPods Pro. Anyone else tried this?
Yea. It’s part of iOS 16. It may benefit you or it may not. It only takes a couple minutes to set it up.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #5,448 of 5,629
Today I had the chance to demo Airpods Max and Focal Celestee ($1000 closed back) powered by $3500 DAP Astell Kern SP2000

Very very surprisingly, I preferred the sound of the Airpods Max

APM had better tonal balance and bigger soundstage, Celestee had better detail. Overall I'd choose APM or most music.

$4500 wired "audiophile" system vs a $550 Bluetooth headphone, it is hard to believe but I prefer APM. This shows us once again that any assumptions based on price or 80 years old "bluetooth sucks!!" dinosaurs can be wrong.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #5,449 of 5,629
Today I had the chance to demo Airpods Max and Focal Celestee ($1000 closed back) powered by $3500 DAP Astell Kern SP2000

APM had better tonal balance and bigger soundstage, Celestee had better detail. Overall I'd choose APM or most music.

$4500 wired "audiophile" system vs a $550 Bluetooth headphone, it is hard to believe but I prefer APM. This shows us once again that any assumptions based on price or 80 years old "bluetooth sucks!!" dinosaurs can be wrong.
They're no slouch.

Sep 13, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #5,450 of 5,629

I'm curious what detail was lacking on the max.
I do not think I've been able to discern any details lacking once you start listening to headphones like the HD600 and beyond. Some headphones definitely bump up frequencies to mimic detail but if you really listen it's not missing on other headphones.

Sep 22, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #5,451 of 5,629
I have Focal Utopias and nearly two grand worth of DAC, amp, and cable, and the APM sound different, but equally enjoyable. Lossy Bluetooth and all. I didn't want to lug my delicate Utopias and brick of a DAP on short trips, so I got the APM. Very, very happy I did.

Sep 22, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #5,452 of 5,629
I have Focal Utopias and nearly two grand worth of DAC, amp, and cable, and the APM sound different, but equally enjoyable. Lossy Bluetooth and all. I didn't want to lug my delicate Utopias and brick of a DAP on short trips, so I got the APM. Very, very happy I did.
This is exactly why I still keep my APMs. They offer a lot of utility besides sound quality.

Sep 23, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #5,453 of 5,629
So I’ve never really been one to like different sounding headphones for different genres of music. I usually like one specific type of sound for everything. I got the APM a few months ago and was happy with them with a little EQ. Just a couple weeks ago I got the Etymotic ER4SR IEM’s. After getting used to them now and loving the way they sound it’s hard to listen to the APM. They are too bass heavy and lack clarity in comparison. Also, something about the soundstage and imaging just feels off. One of the main reasons I got the APM was for the ANC, but the ER4SR blocks out just as much sound as well. They do just as good at blocking out my AC, and the dishwasher and washing machine and loud cars outside. So I’m not sure what their purpose is anymore.

Sep 24, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #5,455 of 5,629
I bought these in August. Pretty much out of the box, I really liked these. Unfortunately, after about 4 weeks of use, it became very difficult to establish a BT connection, and even if I somehow made the connection, the right channel was not working properly. I purchased these via Amazon and made a warranty claim. Customer service repaired them, sent them back and everything is working well so far.

Obviously, I am not suggesting that the built quality of these headphones is bad, I might have just been unlucky with the pair I had. I am reporting this just to let other people know about the issue I experienced.

Apart from that somewhat unpleasant experience, I really enjoy these! With iOS devices, the convenience of these is hard to beat and the sound is really solid, too. Relative to my wired headphones or IEMs, the sound is a bit thin, but it is not a big issue. Going in, I had a bias against BT headphones in that they would sound harsh, sibilant, "digital", or way too bassy. None of that is the case, the sound is very inoffensive. I use these mainly on trains or planes to listen to music, or to watch videos on an iPad at home. And for these use cases, they are a great choice for me.

Sep 24, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #5,456 of 5,629
Wireless.
Yes, but I’m just not picturing when I’m going to use them anymore. The ER4 blocks out just as much noise.

Sep 25, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #5,458 of 5,629
Yes, but I’m just not picturing when I’m going to use them anymore. The ER4 blocks out just as much noise.
The ER4 are great earphones and with the triple flange tips are great for noise isolation. I don't have a real problem with the triple flanges as far as comfort goes in the short term, but after a while my ear canals get itchy and I have a hard time maintaining a seal and find myself often having to (literally) screw them back in my ear.
Initially the lows from the ER4s seem a little weak, but it doesn't take long to acclimate to their amazingly balanced sound. But, outside of limited circumstances I'm done with wired earphones with their microphonics and inherent discomfort generated by the continuous tug from the wires.
I am glad you finally found Etymotics and love them, and there's a lot to love, but for me wired earphones are a part of history. A history that for me goes back to the ER6, ER4, and a multitude of wired earphones enshrined in my closet.
Have fun.

Sep 25, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #5,459 of 5,629
I've been using ER4s for more than 25 years, and still absolutely love both the way they sound and how well they cancel noise. However, as @scrane mentions above, the microphonics from the wires can be very annoying, and the buds definitely don't stay sealed in the ears very well. For prolonged listening, my APMs have supplanted my ER4s. I'll probably bring my ER4s the next time I have a short domestic flight, but that's probably it.

Sep 25, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #5,460 of 5,629
I've been using ER4s for more than 25 years, and still absolutely love both the way they sound and how well they cancel noise. However, as @scrane mentions above, the microphonics from the wires can be very annoying, and the buds definitely don't stay sealed in the ears very well. For prolonged listening, my APMs have supplanted my ER4s. I'll probably bring my ER4s the next time I have a short domestic flight, but that's probably it.
Interesting. I have no issues with the fit or comfort with the stock triple flange tips. I’ve only worn them for maybe 3 hours at a single time, but I’ve never had them want to slip out. There has definitely been a few days where I’ve used them for 6 or more hours out of the day, just not 6 or more continuous hours. This is also just while sitting on the couch though, so not moving around and no ear sweat. But I like the fit and comfort and I’m loving the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back