AirPods Max
Jun 29, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #5,341 of 5,630
I simply don’t like car stereo no matter if it’s from B&O, B&W, Harmon, Meridian, etc. They all sound bad to me. I would rather listen to a normal mid priced bookshelf.

Jun 30, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #5,342 of 5,630
I've had my Airpod Max since launch and i have to say, these sound amazing! I can't help but feel that there could be something even better out there. So I started looking into open back headphones. I've tried a few low end models but didn't amaze me. Does anyone recommend a pair of headsets that will blow away the APM?

Thanks,
Al

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #5,343 of 5,630
I've had my Airpod Max since launch and i have to say, these sound amazing! I can't help but feel that there could be something even better out there. So I started looking into open back headphones. I've tried a few low end models but didn't amaze me. Does anyone recommend a pair of headsets that will blow away the APM?

Thanks,
Al
What did you try and what's your budget and what region are you in?

Diminishing returns start hard after the HD 6XX/HD 600. The Elex is the next step up and comparable in price to the APM and will give some good punch/slam.

Keep in mind higher price doesn't always mean better.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #5,344 of 5,630

Diminishing returns start hard after the HD 6XX/HD 600. The Elex is the next step up and comparable in price to the APM and will give some good punch/slam.

I currently have V-moda Crossfade 2, Airpod Pro, Beats Solo Pro and Sony XM3.

For open back headphones, I have tried Hifiman Deva Pro and Grado SR1x. To me, they sound just a little better than the APM, especially the Grado. My price range is 1000.00 and look for headsets that will produce very good separation and sound stage. bass is a plus as long as it doesn't sound bloated.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #5,345 of 5,630

Keep in mind higher price doesn't always mean better.
My 2 main headphones are the APM and the Focal Elear with Clear pads (Elex). They don’t sound the same at all, of course. Different frequency response, open vs closed with ANC, and so on. Whether you would like them more or find them to be “better” would be up you. To me they are so different that they shouldn’t be compared. I have both and love both. If I had to chose one based just on sound quality alone and didn’t have a use for ANC or Bluetooth or any of that stuff then the Elear with Clear pads would be the headphone I’d use all day everyday.

I live in a studio apartment with a window type AC that’s in the wall, and those are obviously louder than if the apartment had regular central air, and right now it’s summer so it’s running a lot. I listen at 70dB at most, but usually lower, and quiet parts of songs I can hear the AC and it kind of ruins it for me. So lately the APM are getting used almost exclusively, and after a little EQ to bring up the midrange I like them a lot.

Jun 30, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #5,346 of 5,630
I currently have V-moda Crossfade 2, Airpod Pro, Beats Solo Pro and Sony XM3.

For open back headphones, I have tried Hifiman Deva Pro and Grado SR1x. To me, they sound just a little better than the APM, especially the Grado. My price range is 1000.00 and look for headsets that will produce very good separation and sound stage. bass is a plus as long as it doesn't sound bloated.

On the "higher" end, look at:

Elex
Focal Clear
Borealis
Ananda
Used HD 800/800s

The Ananda and the HD 800 might be closer to your liking for a wider stage and a leaner tilt. Of course the 800 series is king of stage/imaging.

If you want something that sounds like the Max, as far as tone, perhaps a Audeze LCD-2 on the used market. Would not splurge on one new. It desperately needs EQ.

You could get away with a lower priced HD 600 or 6XX (if one really wanted planar, the Sundara) and be perfectly happy. If you want soundstage, put the extra money towards speakers or something.☺️

Jul 1, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #5,347 of 5,630
I'm now on my second set of APM. First set lasted 16 months and then failed completely. Complete refusal to connect to anything and the factory reset also stopped working. Utterly dead.

The tell tale signs of impending doom were:

Constant disconnects/reconnects on Apple TV and iPhone.
Removal from the bra they were in off mode. ANC/Transparency button did nothing. No connection to anything. Full battery.
Random crackling and popping from one cup, sometimes both.
Gently nudging the right hand cup whilst wearing them cut the signal.
Needed a factory reset every time I wanted to use them.
When placed back in the bra, they were still showing as connected to the ATV/iPhone/Mac.

Oh and 16 months of daily use..... the smell from the ear pads, oh my. For the love of god Apple, offer us some Lamb skin alternatives that don't stink and cause skin break outs.

So why did I get another set? Well, I did sample a few viable alternatives, Sony XM5, B&O H95, B&O Portal (xbox flavour), Senny Momentum 3 but nope.....they didn't come close to the APM in terms of overall experience in the Apple ecosystem. Plus the B&Os have this annoying popping/clicking noise like it's testing/reconnecting the BT link or something. Weird and annoying. They are the closest to APM in terms of sound signature though. The Sonys are awful. I don't know why people like those overblown bass cans so much. APM are still the ANC/Transparency king as far as I'm concerned. And the simple 2 buttons is sooooo much nicer than silly swipe gestures that accidentally engage when you rest your head on a pillow.

This time around I chose a retailer that offers a 2 year warranty, vs Apples stingy 1 year, so this way I can keep swapping them out if they fail every 12-18 months :relaxed:

I am convinced the failure was caused by condensation corroding the H1 chips. The moisture we can see under the ear cups is only half the story. If it's happening under there, it's also happening behind the aluminium casings, and rotting out the electronics.

Let's see how long the second set last!

I had no recourse on the first set as they were an Amazon purchase, and on non internet connected devices, Apple set the warranty from the date of purchase by the retailer, not the customer *. So please do check your warranty expiration in the APM info on your phone if you've just bought a set. Phone Apple and get them to reset it to the purchase date if it's not 12 months.

* - Except when purchased from Apple directly, but who wants to pay full price.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #5,348 of 5,630

Thanks,
Al

For closed headphones, the AFC 2 Noire blows away the APM. It is not even close.

But these headphones demand power as some DAP's that I tried struggled driving these headphones as a warning.

Jul 2, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #5,349 of 5,630

Thanks,
Al
Depends what you mean about 'blow away'. Language can be misleading. I have a pair of Focal Stellia's, also closed back. Are they clearer and more detailed than APM? Sure. It doesn't make the experience some kind of otherwordly one, it's the same music, with the same lyrics, and the same instruments.

Just saying, this place can be dangerous at setting unrealistic expectations with phrases like 'blow away'. There is 'better' but its only worth it if you really care. Start with a P9 or Focal Elegia if you want to dip your toes in good closed backs.

Jul 2, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #5,350 of 5,630
Depends what you mean about 'blow away'. Language can be misleading. I have a pair of Focal Stellia's, also closed back. Are they clearer and more detailed than APM? Sure. It doesn't make the experience some kind of otherwordly one, it's the same music, with the same lyrics, and the same instruments.

Just saying, this place can be dangerous at setting unrealistic expectations with phrases like 'blow away'. There is 'better' but its only worth it if you really care. Start with a P9 or Focal Elegia if you want to dip your toes in good closed backs.
Maybe inhis standard, and not yours, that's blown away is his hearing experience

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #5,351 of 5,630

Ha!!!!
Don't go down that hole... Just the silly emotional language used here... Just ignore it..
All competently designed and manufactured on a controlled process line, with quality materials, will sound good..
Blow away, destroy, smash, crush.. 😜

Jul 2, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #5,353 of 5,630
I'll restate that with the Boom EQ I downloaded, Max can sound pretty much how I want. It can do 8 or 16 band adjustment, and then save, for example, as Max rock, Max classical..etc
You also can launch your music directly from the app.
$10 for a yearly subscription....
Well worth it me thinks.. 👍

Jul 3, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #5,354 of 5,630
I'll restate that with the Boom EQ I downloaded, Max can sound pretty much how I want. It can do 8 or 16 band adjustment, and then save, for example, as Max rock, Max classical..etc
You also can launch your music directly from the app.
$10 for a yearly subscription....
Well worth it me thinks.. 👍
Boom also sells a lifetime license for those (like me) who hate renting our software.

My experience with the app was mixed. It did help increase the volume on an older MacBook whose speakers were rather weak. But it also caused random popping noises that made me think it might do more harm than good. I didn't bother installing it on my newest Mac.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back