AirPods Max
Oct 26, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #4,981 of 5,629
Yep, that's where I was looking. I don't see any mention of Spatial Audio anywhere in Control Center. I'm on the Monterey GM, not the betas.
I'm assuming you're on an M1 Mac as well, you might be in the same boat as SparkOnShore unfortunately, though they still see the mention of it not being available; so that's interesting.

Oct 27, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #4,983 of 5,629
I know right, how do they manage on such a pittance? The irony is they would make even more money if they allowed their stuff to communicate with 3rd party gear.
I already have the latest 4K TV. It's a software restriction.
This is going to sound selfish but I don’t mind Apple products being walled off from other companies. What I like about Apple is their stuff just work seamlessly together.

BTW, just got the APM today to go with the ATV 4K and I gotta say spacial audio sounds impressive. They’re a keeper for sure.

Oct 27, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #4,984 of 5,629
This is going to sound selfish but I don’t mind Apple products being walled off from other companies. What I like about Apple is their stuff just work seamlessly together.

BTW, just got the APM today to go with the ATV 4K and I gotta say spacial audio sounds impressive. They’re a keeper for sure.
Apple tends to do the minimum to make their products compliant with the standards so they can play with others. They "extend" the standards in a proprietary way so it plays really well within their own family of products. This is easy to do when you control both the software and hardware side of a multitude of products, you 3rd party software needs to be installed; it's already there. One of the nice things with Apple moving OS X to ARM is the fact that much of the software that makes things run in the background can easily be ported over to iOS and iPad OS without much fuss (the M1 machines can run iPad apps natively).

Note that it is possible for a manufacturer to make a product work seamlessly like Apple does, but it would need some back-end access within each machine it goes on. So they could make a program for OS X and Windows with a sign in setup where they can share BT information/pairing setups between the machines and BT devices. With Android they might be able to do the same so in theory you could have seamless (automatic) connection between multiple connections in a similar fashion Apple does it. But it's a ton of overhead requiring a ton of software development.

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #4,985 of 5,629
I was hoping that they would introduce automatic sample rate switching in Monterey…

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #4,986 of 5,629
I was hoping that they would introduce automatic sample rate switching in Monterey…
Was this a feature that was talked about? It's not like the APM has many that you could possibly choose from (it peaks out at 48k).

Oct 31, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #4,987 of 5,629
Was this a feature that was talked about? It's not like the APM has many that you could possibly choose from (it peaks out at 48k).
apologies, I spoke in the context of the mac os itself :) i am aware of the limitations of the APM. i was hoping that with the latest version of mac os, automatic sample rate switching in Monterey could be a reality. that would allow me to use an external DAC such as my Oppo HA-1 and connect my Oppo PM-1 and enjoy Apple Music in hi res lossless. I'm still holding out hope that someday, that would be a reality.

Oct 31, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #4,988 of 5,629
apologies, I spoke in the context of the mac os itself :) i am aware of the limitations of the APM. i was hoping that with the latest version of mac os, automatic sample rate switching in Monterey could be a reality. that would allow me to use an external DAC such as my Oppo HA-1 and connect my Oppo PM-1 and enjoy Apple Music in hi res lossless. I'm still holding out hope that someday, that would be a reality.
I’m actually not sure how the lossless streaming works with regards to what it chooses to play. Some recordings are sampled higher than 48k while others are not. If higher is available, I’m not sure how it chooses it, there may be a setting to see what it’ll stream or download. If you have a downloaded file and want higher than downloaded file you’d have to delete the downloaded song then redownload at a higher quality.

It would be really nice for Apple to select the stream based on what bitrate your hardware supports though.

Nov 1, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #4,990 of 5,629
Settings > Accessibility > AirPods > [select which AirPods] > Spatial Audio Head Tracking. This can be set to off, video content only, or audio & video content. I have mine set to video content only. Then in control center you can still turn on Spatialize stereo. Everything else will function like iOS 14 after turning off head tracking.
With ios 15.1 you can now choose headtracking directly in the control center.

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #4,992 of 5,629
What is the latest with the condensation build up? Have Apple even acknowledged it?

Now that winter has arrived, I'm having to dab out the moisture every day. I wear them for 8-9 hours pretty much every day. It does concern me that the water I CAN'T see is slowly damaging the electronics behind the drivers.

Nov 3, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #4,993 of 5,629
What is the latest with the condensation build up? Have Apple even acknowledged it?

Now that winter has arrived, I'm having to dab out the moisture every day. I wear them for 8-9 hours pretty much every day. It does concern me that the water I CAN'T see is slowly damaging the electronics behind the drivers.
Apple acknowledged it last year saying it was normal. I kind of have to force it to happen by bringing the APM out in really harsh, cold environments for extended periods of time; it normally involves me shoveling snow off my driveway for an hour or two in sub-freezing weather (normally well below sub-freezing). I'm pretty sure all my headphones actually have condensation when I do that though. The three I've tested since pads come off easily are the B&W P7W which has it's acoustic fabric absorb the condensation, V-Moda M200 ANC which shows droplets of water, and the Apple AirPods Max which shows droplets of water. I personally haven't tested any others since the pads are a PITA to remove generally.

Nov 3, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #4,994 of 5,629
Apple acknowledged it last year saying it was normal. I kind of have to force it to happen by bringing the APM out in really harsh, cold environments for extended periods of time; it normally involves me shoveling snow off my driveway for an hour or two in sub-freezing weather (normally well below sub-freezing). I'm pretty sure all my headphones actually have condensation when I do that though. The three I've tested since pads come off easily are the B&W P7W which has it's acoustic fabric absorb the condensation, V-Moda M200 ANC which shows droplets of water, and the Apple AirPods Max which shows droplets of water. I personally haven't tested any others since the pads are a PITA to remove generally.
Ah OK, of course they did :smile: It's 'normal' for vehicle glass to condensate over winter, but not domestic electronics kept indoors.
My house is 21-22 deg C minimum, so if I did wear them outside when it's freezing, I suspect there would be puddles of water under the ear cups!
Oh well, if the manufacturer and other APM users aren't bothered about it, then I'll just ignore it then.

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #4,995 of 5,629
Ah OK, of course they did :smile: It's 'normal' for vehicle glass to condensate over winter, but not domestic electronics kept indoors.
My house is 21-22 deg C minimum, so if I did wear them outside when it's freezing, I suspect there would be puddles of water under the ear cups!
Oh well, if the manufacturer and other APM users aren't bothered about it, then I'll just ignore it then.
Droplets of water is probably the better description of what happens. I did get condensation the day after I got them while I was using them indoors as well, though they were delivered in sub-freezing temps as well (no clue about temp of the truck). I haven't been able to reproduce that scenario though no matter what I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back