AirPods Max
Feb 11, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #3,196 of 5,629
I had a pair of AirPod Max delivered on launch day and reluctantly returned them two weeks later. While I was completely blown away with the sound quality and ANC I found the clamping force to be too tight and they left indentations on the sides of my face.
To those who stuck with them has the clamping force been reduced with use and did they get more comfortable? I had a similar problem with the last Beats ANC model. No problems at all with my Utopia's or Sony Z1R's

Unless someone with clamp issues held on to them and continued to use them, you likely won't get a decent answer on how well the clamping force changes with time. My normal recommendation with clamping force is to stretch out the headband by placing a few books between the housings (with the APM taking off the pads would be advised as well). This tends to improve clamping force with a lot of headphones. Though it may not solve the issue altogether, it sometimes will.

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #3,197 of 5,629
Returned my B&O H95 yesterday and keeping the APM. The H95 sounds better to me in the higher frequency and sub bass regions, but the APM can be EQ’d to sound close in the higher frequencies (“balanced tone - slight” setting in the accessibility options), though it can’t compete in the sub bass range.

Main appeal of APM for me was better interoperability with all my Apple devices, lower audio latency, better controls, better comfort, better ANC, perfect transparency, and better mid-bass which is important when gaming. I think Apple’s software expertise and massive investment in this space will also help the software advance faster than B&O’s.

With all the A/B comparisons I’ve been doing, I’ve also rediscovered my love of the Sennheiser HD600 which sound fantastically analytical with a wide and precise sound stage at mid-high frequencies, but totally flat in the bass regions unfortunately.

Question: any good wired headphones that match the HD600 in the mid-upper frequencies and the APM/H95 in bass?

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #3,198 of 5,629
Returned my B&O H95 yesterday and keeping the APM. The H95 sounds better to me in the higher frequency and sub bass regions, but the APM can be EQ’d to sound close in the higher frequencies (“balanced tone - slight” setting in the accessibility options), though it can’t compete in the sub bass range.

Main appeal of APM for me was better interoperability with all my Apple devices, lower audio latency, better controls, better comfort, better ANC, perfect transparency, and better mid-bass which is important when gaming. I think Apple’s software expertise and massive investment in this space will also help the software advance faster than B&O’s.

With all the A/B comparisons I’ve been doing, I’ve also rediscovered my love of the Sennheiser HD600 which sound fantastically analytical with a wide and precise sound stage at mid-high frequencies, but totally flat in the bass regions unfortunately.

Question: any good wired headphones that match the HD600 in the mid-upper frequencies and the APM/H95 in bass?

Maybe LCD-2 Classic.

Feb 11, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #3,199 of 5,629

Even if slightly off topic, I will answer since I actually also had both the H95 and the APM, and also decided to keep only the APM for my use case.
Was in a similar situation looking for a good wired set ... settled on Denon AH-D9200, it takes the best of what I liked in both H95 and APM and then improves further on everything. Well regarded on these forums, and may be one of the very best closed backs around at any price point.
So that would be my recommendation... feel free to PM if you want more info.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #3,200 of 5,629

Maybe try a planar?

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #3,201 of 5,629
Where does Apple say that condensation is normal inside the APMs?

To be honest, Apple says its normal, so I'd assume it might not be as big of an issue as people are making it seem. However, I've had one or two times where the condensation had acoustic effects (if the water landed on the driver). However, I haven't noticed this happening as of late so Apple may have fixed that issue through software. The only thing that concerns me is if there is any condensation behind the driver where the electronics actually live.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #3,202 of 5,629
Was there any recent firmware update for the APMs? Mine shows version 3C16, and it’s been on this version ever since I received the headphones on 25 December.

I should also add that I haven't noticed that issue since the latest firmware update. I'm curious if they actually patched it out somehow. If I turn off ANC/transparency, there is no noticeable change in sound.

Feb 12, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #3,203 of 5,629
Yes, yes, yes! :v:

Another matter of reviews’ exaggeration and fake info is the case of the APM. What was their problem really with this case? It’s very thin, so to take no space in your backpack, meanwhile giving the necessary protection to the caps. What’s the need of the huge thick cases that occupy so much space? It’s a classic Apple style for sure. The headband is metal and really really sturdy, I don’t think it needs extra protection, as long as you don’t put knives, razors, keys etc in the same place with the APM (who would anyway??). The headphone slides so nicely inside this case which to me is a really successful and elegant storage solution. Also the cutout matches exactly the lightning port so you can charge while in the case, contrary to what i had read some time ago from some reviewers.

Feb 12, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #3,204 of 5,629
Where does Apple say that condensation is normal inside the APMs?

I read it in a news article which turns out to kind of be a half truth with a clickbait headline. So I take that statement back. Granted it’s still not unusual for condensation to occur with headphones

Was there any recent firmware update for the APMs? Mine shows version 3C16, and it’s been on this version ever since I received the headphones on 25 December.

That is the current latest firmware available for the Max unless Apple released a new one recently that I am unaware of.

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #3,206 of 5,629
Where doses Apple say that condensation is normal inside the APMs?

Apparently they already designed around this by insulating the area where the driver sits. I’m sure they were already well aware of this in their testing. There’s no public statement that I’ve seen.

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #3,207 of 5,629
Maybe LCD-2 Classic.
Even if slightly off topic, I will answer since I actually also had both the H95 and the APM, and also decided to keep only the APM for my use case.
Was in a similar situation looking for a good wired set ... settled on Denon AH-D9200, it takes the best of what I liked in both H95 and APM and then improves further on everything. Well regarded on these forums, and may be one of the very best closed backs around at any price point.
So that would be my recommendation... feel free to PM if you want more info.
Maybe try a planar?

Thanks for the suggestions. I did some reading and searching - maybe I'm missing something, but none of these high end wired headphones seem to match the APM or H95 bass response, especially at the very low end. Is this intentional or a limitation of wired headphones?

1613171197343.png

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #3,208 of 5,629
so I’m having battery drain to 1% while in case overnight. Is this common?

Mine started doing this again, but only if the battery was like 50-ish percent to begin with when I put it in the case. It's really annoying. I thought it was the 14.5 beta causing the issue since that's when it began. I haven't tested drain out of the case, but I remember when I first got the APM I had battery issues while they were in the case, but it would only be like 30-40% overnight vs the >50% I'm seeing now. Before I was able to rid of the issue after 3 factory resets. I may play around and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did some reading and searching - maybe I'm missing something, but none of these high end wired headphones seem to match the APM or H95 bass response, especially at the very low end. Is this intentional or a limitation of wired headphones?

1613171197343.png

Planar magnetics tend to have more linear bass. They are also extremely low distortion so they take to EQing a lot better. Different planar magnetic headphones will sound different too. Most don't have a huge spring in the sub-bass that Apple has done. Another thing to try to look at is the Fostex TH-610.

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #3,209 of 5,629
so I’m having battery drain to 1% while in case overnight. Is this common?
Just a thought - Did you put them in the case backwards :wink:. In any case that is not normal and I have to observed it even leaving them outside the case.

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #3,210 of 5,629
Just a thought - Did you put them in the case backwards :wink:. In any case that is not normal and I have to observed it even leaving them outside the case.

I didn't, battery drain in the case has been a reoccurring problem since launch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back