AirPods Max
Feb 9, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #3,166 of 5,629
The fact that the headband doesn't stick out to the sides is something that I enjoy quite a lot, but is something that can be achieved with a very boring and traditional Y yoke design as well, it just depends on carefully designing the geometry of the headband, yoke and yoke to cup attachment to that effect. The XM4's headband doesn't stick much further from my head than the APM (the cups do though, because they're thicker, but that is a different problem).

That's very theoretical because :
- as the XM4 shows a traditional yoke design can still be low profile and not stick out too much from the head (counter examples : HD350BT, H95, these make you look like Teletubbies). Other headphones can also achieve a slim earcup profile (Huawei FreeBuds Studio for example. I've just received them today).
- the total weight of the APM is among the highest in its class - and I'm ready to bet that the pivot mechanism alone is significantly heavier than ugly, cheap but still reliable plastic Y shaped yokes,
- the width and height of the cups is among the largest in its class (some of it is just because there's a lot of empty air in them though. When apple introduced the Macbook 12" they said they don't want to ship air, well that's very much what they're doing with the APM :D).
And the drawbacks are quite many - mostly related to the actual spring rate being fixed, meaning that it simply won't adapt quite as well to various head shapes as a yoke mechanism that naturally evenly applies pressure around the ear without the need of a spring.

I'm not actually advocating for a boring plastic hinge of the XM4 kind. Just that the headband, extension arms and joint to cup area is where I would like to see Apple propose truly innovative and novel solutions to improve packability and time of deployment, and that I think that the pivot mechanism is a brilliant - and over-complicated - solution still in search of an actual problem to solve.

I understand what you are saying, but I think Apple's mechanism has some benefits over the Y yoke, regardless of if Apple intended it for that purpose or not. If I lie down with normal headphones, or rest my head against something (pillow on a plane) that tends to push against the headband, even on low profile yokes and puts some pressure on my head and normally results in a weaker seal on the cup on the opposite side. I really don't notice that with Apple's solution. I think discussing the actual weight of the joint is a red herring. Although it's not much, but the Y-yoke result in more material around the sides and overall this is probably a small part of the overall headphone. As many have said here, weight doesn't directly correspond to comfort, and unless lightweight is a specific goal I don't really think it matters in the case of Apple's hinge.

I see a lot of other headphones gets mixed comments on comfort too. Just having the Y-yoke doesn't seem to automatically make the headphones more comfortable to more people. Of course I'm just going on what I've read, but I'd like to see some researched numbers before declaring this mechanism less likely to work on various head shapes. That also seems quite dependent on the specific setup of the springs and the headband itself.

Packability is a little complicated I think. I'm finding the AirPods max to be quite packable in my daily use case, which is throwing them in a backpack or computer bag most of the time. I tried to find some numbers for various headphones regarding the cup thickness. how far it sticks out from the head. I couldn't really find any numbers. My impression is that the AirPods Max are quite thin. This makes them fit in the spaces in my bags I need them to fit. The fact they don't fold improves their time of deployment. Folding down like the XM4 is great if I'm going to back them in my check in luggage, or in a box for moving, but on a daily basis I don't need compactness in that dimension, or in overall volume. My daily bags aren't packed like a Tetris game. They are designed to get things in and out of easily and Apple's design works quite well for that, including the case. If anything the empty space makes it easier to get at things around the headphones I needed, compared to a large hard case. I know different people have different requirements, but I don't think Apple's tradeoffs are that bad. I wouldn't throw them in my large single compartment bag I use for scuba diving for free diving gear, but I wouldn't do it with an of the other headphones either as their cases aren't water proof. I'd be fine throwing the APM in if it was in it's own dry bag though.

The mechanical issues will likely get hammered out over time. Sounds like some manufacturing issues right now.

Fabrics are my profession, household, upholstery fabrics etc, so judging from how i see it, both headband as well as caps‘ fabrics are incredibly weaved. The headband one especially is so soft but at the same time so tightly weaved that i would not worry about it. They are fabrics really sophisticatedly weaved and uniquely attached to the rest construction.

Your comments on the fabric Apple uses is really interesting. I often feel Apple goes to special lengths on some of their products that only a few people who are knowledgeable about a subject/material really appreciate. I hope someone does a little more research into this. It sounds like one of the more interesting parts of the APM from your description.

Thanks for the comments on my recovery. DIdn't want to take up posts responding to each one. As far as my leg, just got back from the hospital for a check-up and rehabilitation. I'm cleared to put my full weight on leg! No jumping, just walking, but it happened a lot more quickly than I expected. Due to the surgery things just feel 'weird'. Not painful, just different. Surprisingly not my break, but around my knee. Probably the more invasive part of the surgery where the put the metal plate down the middle of my tibia. It's going to take some time walking with the support of the crutches to get used to the feeling and gain confidence it won't fail me. I walk so slowly right now, but it's great to have both feet on the ground again. (literally).

Feb 9, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #3,167 of 5,629
If memory serves (my memory isn't the best at times), you were the one that stated that the fabric was giving you irritation to your skin right? I don't remember if you had clamping issues or sizing issues where the adjustable arms didn't go far enough (both are very common issues with the APM). If so, I can definitely see why the headphones were very uncomfortable. The irritation alone can sometimes lead to inflammation which produces heat on its own.

If there are sizing issues, this could further have the housings shift in place which might as well be like scratching irritated skin. Maybe an over exaggeration, but the pads might as well be sand paper at some point. If clamping force issues then the pads get further compressed which reduces air flow in and out of an already hot area.

I do wonder if a perforated suede or leather pad with similar memory foam would deal with some of the comfort issues for you (I know you returned your pair already). Granted they'd have to be custom made.

Yes, I'm the person with the problem of irritation of the skin, your memory is correct. The arms going sufficient far (is still more space for making more long), so this isn't a problem. I don't sure if is a clamping problem but I experiencing two things: a) I never forgetting I have a headphone in my head even after I trying many times for one month (this little frustrating), and, more important, b) pain outside of my ears at the top (isn't strong pain but is pain and isn't nice (this never happening with other headphones. Others people reporting similar experience). The irritation of skin starting after 3 or 4 times using the APM (not in the first 2 or 3 days) after I'm using for more long time (1,5+ hours), but later even after 30 minutes or little less.

I mentioning before that maybe for version 2 of APM (in 2 or 3 years) Apple can offering optional leather earpads. Unfortunately for me, even with leather earpads in the APM of today, is other aspects that don't giving me sufficient satisfaction (factory sound, 'incorrect' position of the 2 buttons, and portability).

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #3,168 of 5,629
@SparkOnShore Apple had to really go way out of the standard BT protocols to get their switching stuff to work. Granted it would likely be limited to just Macs, Windows, and Linux machines, it is possible for other companies to create a sort of delegating app to connect to multiple devices with said client and maybe 1 device outside the client(s). So multiple computers and a phone. It may be possible to set it up with Android actually as well. Basically each device you wanted it to connect to would need the app/client installed and those talk to each other to get connections switching smoothly. Apple doesn't really have to deal with this since they control all the machines that have support for this, so the software is already installed.

Samsung have this working with their Galaxy Buds. Not sure if this is just with the Buds Pro or also applies to the Buds+ and Live, but if you are signed into the Device with your Samsung account this connection is automatically synced to your other devices.
There is also automatic hand off between devices, and quick switch between them, using their range of Smart phones, Tablets, their smart watches and TV's. The phones and tablets do need to be running their One UI 3.1 software, and I am sure there is some software version requirement for their watches and TV's as well.

So far, from my testing, it works pretty flawlessly. Only been able to test it a few days, but so far it's worked pretty well.

Now that you mention it... Who would come up with something like that? Creating a fabric with that sort of curvature and spring action too, doesn’t seem to be a super trivial task either.

Office chairs have used similar fabrics and designs to make the backrest springy and comfortable for years. It's really just taking that design and setup and applying it to headphones.

Feb 9, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #3,169 of 5,629
Now that you mention it... Who would come up with something like that? Creating a fabric with that sort of curvature and spring action too, doesn’t seem to be a super trivial task either. We spent a few pages talking about the pivoting mechanism, why not talk about fabrics on a headphone? :p
Yes, exactly. I just look at it all the time and I can’t get it! What an idea! How can the fabric be attached to silicon this way so that it does not allow iron bars to touch your head?? I put my fist under the fabric leaving the headphone free to fall on its weight and the iron bars do not touch my hand by any means however I may move my hand! Unbelievable really! This is the result of infinite sharing ideas meetings and experiments on a huge amount of materials as well as their behaviors under many circumstances. What can I say? Seems like the best in the world in all sectors are currently working for Apple, not just audio engineers, which is known already. I shout out to everybody to just buy this headphone only for this engineering involved! Forget the audio quality for a while and just check all the rest marvel of modern engineering in action here!!

Feb 9, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #3,170 of 5,629
So a new discovery - which may not be new to APP owners. When Apple’s messaging is open on my iMac, I receive lovely chimes, playbacks, and opportunities to reply via Siri and the APM. Automatically. I think it’s a lovely idea.

And I can’t wait to find a way to turn it off. 🙄

EDIT: This never occurred until I opened messages on iMac, but perhaps that is coincidence. I turned off ‘Announce Messages with Siri’ on the iPhone and iPad. No similar option found on iMac.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #3,171 of 5,629
So a new discovery - which may not be new to APP owners. When Apple’s messaging is open on my iMac, I receive lovely chimes, playbacks, and opportunities to reply via Siri and the APM. Automatically. I think it’s a lovely idea.

And I can’t wait to find a way to turn it off. 🙄

EDIT: This never occurred until I opened messages on iMac, but perhaps that is coincidence. I turned off ‘Announce Messages with Siri’ on the iPhone and iPad. No similar option found on iMac.

I think the headphones have this option if you open BT options on an iPhone or iPad.

Feb 9, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #3,174 of 5,629
Feb 9, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #3,175 of 5,629
I’ll go against the grain and say that I’m actually a fan of the case. It reminds me of the AP & APP in style and use.

I think one of the guiding design principles is probably around reducing user friction points. Assuming that they tested this for rigorous consumer use and that it’s an effective case, it’s indeed very small and portable. I have already integrated it into my daily use while other cases only have been used for backpack transit duties.

The magnetic clamp and form factor are so portable and easy compared to big zipper cases. I’m a fan.

Just received my Airpods Max today and I completely agree with you. The case is so minimalist that the headphones fits so easily in my backpack. Also loving the sound and the transparency mode is awesome.

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #3,176 of 5,629
I agree... I personally love the case. I just put the AirPods Max in my small backpack, and they fit very nicely. AirPods Max is protected well, and I can carry them around easily. Normal headphone cases like Momentum 3 does not fit as the backpack is small. Even if I had a big backpack, M3 case would take so much space. Thus, I really like the case. Perfect solution to carry the headphones around in my opinion.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #3,178 of 5,629
So. I'm really tempted by these. I'm Appled. I can afford £550...but...

Well, if you can afford it, why not give it a try? You can return it if you regret the purchase. I tried other wireless headphones before this but nothing comes close as a complete package: superb sound, best-in-class ANC, great case, luxurious design and materials.

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #3,179 of 5,629
I agree... I personally love the case. I just put the AirPods Max in my small backpack, and they fit very nicely. AirPods Max is protected well, and I can carry them around easily. Normal headphone cases like Momentum 3 does not fit as the backpack is small. Even if I had a big backpack, M3 case would take so much space. Thus, I really like the case. Perfect solution to carry the headphones around in my opinion.
I agree. I see the case as a love it or hate it deal depending on whether a person likes/prefers the Max or not. If someone prefers something like the B&O H95 or Shure Aonic 50, I can see the sturdier, more protective cases of those being an icing on the cake sort of deal. If someone prefers the AirPods Max, they will most likely adjust to the case and recognize it's advantages. For me, the case that comes with portable headphones have never been a big deal. I rarely travel in my current job. For commutes and short trips I prefer my true wireless earbuds most of the time. The times I do decide to wear portable headphones when out and about, they're usually on my head or around my neck. On the rare occasion that I do travel and take the Max with me, I'll still throw it in my backpack, I'll just be more cautious to make sure there's nothing in the compartment with the Max that could damage them.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #3,180 of 5,629
I respect the included case for what it is. I understand why the designers went the direction they did which kind of makes it much easier to do. That said, the minimalistic design has a bunch of pros that come with it; volumetrically it's still tiny and has a very thin profile. It isn't without its compromises though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back