AirPods Max
Feb 13, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #3,212 of 5,629
No, they sit correctly in the case but simply drain battery. Made a reset to see if change s
I have a similar problem. On Tuesday evening the battery had 100 % after charging. Put them in the case over night. Friday evening I used them for approximately 60 Minutes, after that I put them in the case again. today the battery had only 28 % left. I suppose the reason for the immense battery drain cold be, that I paired them on Friday for the first time with my new fire tv stick. And I didn’t unpair after use.

Feb 13, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #3,213 of 5,629
It happened to me twice in december, when the battery drained overnight to 13% with no apparent reason. I reset the headphones and repaired them at the beginning of January and it hasn’t happened since. One thing: After resetting the headphones, I did not pair them again with any of my Apple TVs - I’ve got an ATV 4 and an ATV 4K - buy only with my iPhone, iPad and MBP.

so I’m having battery drain to 1% while in case overnight. Is this common?

Feb 13, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #3,214 of 5,629
It happened to me twice in december, when the battery drained overnight to 13% with no apparent reason. I reset the headphones and repaired them at the beginning of January and it hasn’t happened since. One thing: After resetting the headphones, I did not pair them again with any of my Apple TVs - I’ve got an ATV 4 and an ATV 4K - buy only with my iPhone, iPad and MBP.

Mine did this from factory, I had to factory restore/reset mine 3x to fix the issue :frowning2: I’ll probably end up doing that again.

Feb 13, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #3,215 of 5,629
Further to the earlier discussion of Apple engineers migrating from Bowers & Wilkins, I saw a video interviewing engineers about the B&W P9 headphone and Stuart Nevill (then head of engineering) was the person talking about the P9 and the headphones, seems like he was heavily involved if not the key player, over 20 years at B&W. Talks about the process of designing the P9, and the earlier models.

And now he works at Apple as an ‘Audio Acoustic Manager’ and has been for 2 years and 5 months. Interestingly about a year before Apple released their first good audio product, APP. It’s also around the time B&W started releasing crap products.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #3,216 of 5,629

I am also experiencing issues with battery drain and have been connecting to ATV occasionally. The auto connect feature is feeling like a half baked idea at the moment...

Feb 13, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #3,218 of 5,629
I am also experiencing issues with battery drain and have been connecting to ATV occasionally. The auto connect feature is feeling like a half baked idea at the moment...
I too am suspicious that the draining is due to auto-connect as I have been in the next room received a phone call and had it switched to my APMs even though they were 20' away. If you have an ATV paired which is "on" all the time, this may be happening due to the level of connection promiscuity these currently have.

Feb 13, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #3,219 of 5,629
Further to the earlier discussion of Apple engineers migrating from Bowers & Wilkins, I saw a video interviewing engineers about the B&W P9 headphone and Stuart Nevill (then head of engineering) was the person talking about the P9 and the headphones, seems like he was heavily involved if not the key player, over 20 years at B&W. Talks about the process of designing the P9, and the earlier models.

And now he works at Apple as an ‘Audio Acoustic Manager’ and has been for 2 years and 5 months. Interestingly about a year before Apple released their first good audio product, APP. It’s also around the time B&W started releasing crap products.

I’d argue that the Apple dual-driver IEMs were Apple’s first good audio product (if you are able to find some measurements for them, they actually aren’t super bad). At one point a lot of people here were picking them up since they could be found for 30 bucks (steal for the SQ they offered). After that the OG HomePod came out, and from an audio standpoint that also got some decent marks. Then the AirPods Pro released a year after that.

I’m not sure how much of a hand Stuart Nevill had in the APP since it was likely very late in the development stage by the time he was brought on board. Didn’t the APM have like a 4 year development cycle or something? I’m sure the APP would be somewhere in that ballpark too.

Edit: just prior to the release of the P7W, B&W weren’t releasing great audio products IMO. They were good, but very consumer focused sound. I think 3 or 4 of the products released before the P7W weren’t the best. The only real good ones being the P5 (original), P7W, and P9. Their entire range containing the P5, P3, P7, P5 S2, and their in-ear models... Most of those were consumer focused unfortunately. The P7 being the best of the worst, but still with a fairly thick sound to them.

Edit 2: wasn’t trying to undercut what B&W does, but if you look at their entire track record, they’ve had more misses than hits. That’s even true if you ignore the PX-series of headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #3,220 of 5,629
I’d argue that the Apple dual-driver IEMs were Apple’s first good audio product (if you are able to find some measurements for them, they actually aren’t super bad). At one point a lot of people here were picking them up since they could be found for 30 bucks (steal for the SQ they offered). After that the OG HomePod came out, and from an audio standpoint that also got some decent marks. Then the AirPods Pro released a year after that.

I’m not sure how much of a hand Stuart Nevill had in the APP since it was likely very late in the development stage by the time he was brought on board. Didn’t the APM have like a 4 year development cycle or something? I’m sure the APP would be somewhere in that ballpark too.

Edit: just prior to the release of the P7W, B&W weren’t releasing great audio products IMO. They were good, but very consumer focused sound. I think 3 or 4 of the products released before the P7W weren’t the best. The only real good ones being the P5 (original), P7W, and P9. Their entire range containing the P5, P3, P7, P5 S2, and their in-ear models... Most of those were consumer focused unfortunately. The P7 being the best of the worst, but still with a fairly thick sound to them.

Edit 2: wasn’t trying to undercut what B&W does, but if you look at their entire track record, they’ve had more misses than hits. That’s even true if you ignore the PX-series of headphones.

Yeah no idea on his hand in the APP to be honest, I do think it's interesting as people here were remarking about how similar they felt the APM are to the P7W in some ways, and when I was watching the vid it just occurred to me.

On B&W, I can't comment beyond my own subjectivity! I have the P5 wireless and it's superb, to my ears. I'm shocked at how well it stands up to modern headphones, recently I've been comparing the MH40 for a review I'm doing, a much newer headphone that's around the P5 RRP. And the p5 is much more accomplished to my ears; I'm not necessarily a fan boy, hopefully it doesn't come across that way. But I have tried a lot of headphones, and to my ear the B&W headphones from that era are astonishingly good for the time and price. Whether everyone agrees is another matter - I do know the P5w/P5/P7/P7W/P9 were very well reviewed by critics, especially the P7W & P9. I think their newer headphones are simply terrible, though.

I wonder if some of the P7W magic went into the apm. Would be very interesting to see how they were developed, as I'm sure Apple must've realised they'd have to steal ideas and talent to stand up to the likes of Sony & Sennheiser.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #3,221 of 5,629
Yeah no idea on his hand in the APP to be honest, I do think it's interesting as people here were remarking about how similar they felt the APM are to the P7W in some ways, and when I was watching the vid it just occurred to me.

On B&W, I can't comment beyond my own subjectivity! I have the P5 wireless and it's superb, to my ears. I'm shocked at how well it stands up to modern headphones, recently I've been comparing the MH40 for a review I'm doing, a much newer headphone that's around the P5 RRP. And the p5 is much more accomplished to my ears; I'm not necessarily a fan boy, hopefully it doesn't come across that way. But I have tried a lot of headphones, and to my ear the B&W headphones from that era are astonishingly good for the time and price. Whether everyone agrees is another matter - I do know the P5w/P5/P7/P7W/P9 were very well reviewed by critics, especially the P7W & P9. I think their newer headphones are simply terrible, though.

I wonder if some of the P7W magic went into the apm. Would be very interesting to see how they were developed, as I'm sure Apple must've realised they'd have to steal ideas and talent to stand up to the likes of Sony & Sennheiser.

I can see a lot of the resemblances of the APM to B&W headphones though. From the materials and craftsmanship I can see the hands getting in there very easily. Even the magnetic earpads.

I really do want to give the P7W a try after seeing some very linear measurements of it, that looks like a huge improvement over the original P7.

I didn’t get a chance to listen to the P5W, but have had the P5, P3, P5 series 2, and P7 (still own all but the P3; gave it to a friend). They sound good, heck some sound great, but the issue is that there is much better for the price with the exception of the original P5 (remember, there are 2 of these not counting the wired). After they released the P5 they never really released a linear headphone until the P7W (P7 was a step in the right direction from the P3 though). I was really never able to recommend the P3 and P5 Series 2, but the P7 is a bassy headphone that’s not overly done and had very good treble and midrange to my ears would be a good recommendation for someone who wanted that sort of signature. I also did try the C5 as well, again not something I’d recommend, it didn’t sound great. Still though, I’d rate the P7 above the PX, but it’s only by a slim margin.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #3,224 of 5,629
Did a reboot by pressing the 2 buttons and it is ok now. What can possibly cause it you think?

Known bug. One thing I will say is that the software the AirPods Max released with is not good... Apple’s release of the APM hasn’t gone super smooth. Battery drain issues, ANC, etc. Good news is that they are software bugs which can (eventually) be fixed with either a reboot or factory reset (but it’s annoying still).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back