AirPods Max
Feb 16, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #3,241 of 5,629
Dude you’re overthinking it.. like I said, when it’s on the hook, it will be the metal band that is taking the weight not the fabric. Do you own the APM? Just hold it up with your fingers across the band… 🙄

The fabric curves and so it’s resting lower than the headband rods on the two sides of the mesh. The whole idea is that it presses against your head and creates a sort of cushion.

The thing is that when you hang the headphone on a hook, there are two key differences from when you’re wearing it on your head:

1. Your head is much larger than a hook, meaning the pressure is spread across the entire headband rather than just one narrow spot where the hook touches it.

2. When you’re wearing the headphone, there’s a reasonable clamping force, meaning the area around your ears is taking some of the pressure and thus reducing the pressure on the headband.

Basically, instead of ~400 grams being spread out over your ears and across the entire headband, hanging the headphone from a hook would mean the entire ~400 grams is being held up by one narrow patch of the headband mesh. So I’m wondering if that would damage the mesh over time.

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #3,242 of 5,629
The fabric curves and so it’s resting lower than the headband rods on the two sides of the mesh. The whole idea is that it presses against your head and creates a sort of cushion.

The thing is that when you hang the headphone on a hook, there are two key differences from when you’re wearing it on your head:

1. Your head is much larger than a hook, meaning the pressure is spread across the entire headband rather than just one narrow spot where the hook touches it.

2. When you’re wearing the headphone, there’s a reasonable clamping force, meaning the area around your ears is taking some of the pressure and thus reducing the pressure on the headband.

Basically, instead of ~400 grams being spread out over your ears and across the entire headband, hanging the headphone from a hook would mean the entire ~400 grams is being held up by one narrow patch of the headband mesh. So I’m wondering if that would damage the mesh over time.

Yes I know, I have a pair. But unless you're literally using a hook with a sharp end that's touching the the mesh and mesh alone I can't see how it's going to be an issue.

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #3,243 of 5,629

I have the same question... I wonder...

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #3,244 of 5,629

Great question, and it would be nice to hear from Sparks, our resident fabrics expert. Theoretically, just about every APM hung on a stand is going to spend 16 hours a day there (and on average, over time, far more hours than that). That’s a lot of hours of impact against the fabric, and those hours could, eventually, reduce the cushion effect the headband fabric is designed to produce.

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #3,245 of 5,629
I’m curious, do you think the fabric is strong enough to support the weight of the headphone over time?

In other words, if the headphone is hung from a hook, do you think the weight will cause the fabric to stretch/deform and leave an indentation over time?

I’m still not sure whether it’s safe to hang my AirPods Max on a hook like I do with other headphones because a lot of the pressure goes on the curved fabric Itself and not merely on the headband rods.
I believe sharp corners may be dangerous, but if you hang it on a curved surface it should be fine. I keep them in their case all the time though and leave them on a desk. The fabric seems to have a special type of elasticity gained by the yarn and its finishing. That elasticity as well as the way they have attached it on the silicon headband cover offer the fabric this “balloon” effect. Even under pressure its edges stay swollen and they do not touch the metal. I find it a uniquely smart idea. The office chairs’ example that another user mentioned in a previous post has nothing to do with it since the net fabric part of the chair is just stitched on a leather part, in a way that as you lay your body’s weight on it it creates a rearwards curve to make it comfortable. On the APM the weight is creating an opposite direction pressure giving to the fabric that cushion like characteristic. Very important role is played by the silicon. A proof of how resistant this fabric is is the strength under which it is attached on a much harder material (silicon), without breaking.

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #3,246 of 5,629
The fingers example that justanut mentioned is correct. You will see that even hanged from your 2 fingers only, the rods do not touch them. So i wouldn’t be much worried about the width of your hook, mostly sharp corners are worrisome here. In any case Apple knows about that and if there were problems they would or will sell headbands, as they do with the magnetic earpads. The headband can be easily replaced by authorized service providers as our user Maya showed in an earlier post. The headphone seems to be modular which is really useful and adds on its value.

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #3,248 of 5,629
Do u have a sharp head? This is like: hey let’s drop a phone made of glass and see if cracks…

Has anyone done a torture test on APM yet?
I would love to see what happenes to the headband if poked with sharp objects...
Any brave souls here ? ..... :grin:

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #3,249 of 5,629
Do u have a sharp head? This is like: hey let’s drop a phone made of glass and see if cracks…

To be honest that sounds like what he’s looking for. I don’t make enough to do something like that though. 😂

Feb 17, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #3,251 of 5,629
I was owning an iPhone 8 plus after which I bought Samsung Galaxy Note 10 plus. The iPhone at that time was priced nearly 1.4 times the Note 10 but due to some money crunch I could not buy the iPhone. And believe me, the moment I opened the Galaxy’s box, I was totally disappointed. The camera in Galaxy sucks(personal opinion).

The point is - even if the prices are far apart, the iPhone(to me) is a lot superior than the best of Android phones. Glad I sold the Note and recently bought iPhone 12 max and I am really satisfied, again it’s priced very higher than the latest Galaxy Note.

The point I am trying to make is even if APM is 550$, I am sure it would bring a lot of satisfaction to those who buy it and they will not complain of the price(like a lot of fellow head-fiers). And there are other segment of people who, like the Android users, will keep complaining of the price and try to justify how the APM is worth less of $550. This happens. So, saying it’s priced a lot more is not a fair argument.
Android users can’t judge AirPods because their phones can’t handle the AAC codec properly. For me my AirPods Max certainly hold their own against my Grados. Which I found hard to believe. But after listening to lots of classical music seems te be true. Besides, like all drivers, AirPods Max need some burning in.

Feb 17, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #3,252 of 5,629
Android users can’t judge AirPods because their phones can’t handle the AAC codec properly. For me my AirPods Max certainly hold their own against my Grados. Which I found hard to believe. But after listening to lots of classical music seems te be true. Besides, like all drivers, AirPods Max need some burning in.
And I’m having different responses between iPhone/iPad/MacBook Pro. What seams to be better on MacBook? I’m I dreaming?

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #3,253 of 5,629
Going back on the battery issues that spurred up, a factory reset seems to have fixed it for me. Not just a reboot, but a full factory rest.

And I’m having different responses between iPhone/iPad/MacBook Pro. What seams to be better on MacBook? I’m I dreaming?

Someone else mentioned this too. I didn't hear any differences between my M1, iPad Pro, and iPhone while using Apple Music. However, I did know someone on Reddit said they heard a difference between their MacBook and iPhone using Spotify Premium.

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #3,254 of 5,629
Going back on the battery issues that spurred up, a factory reset seems to have fixed it for me. Not just a reboot, but a full factory rest.

Someone else mentioned this too. I didn't hear any differences between my M1, iPad Pro, and iPhone while using Apple Music. However, I did know someone on Reddit said they heard a difference between their MacBook and iPhone using Spotify Premium.

Just thought I’d mention that between my iPhone, iPad, and iMac, sound is best, for me, on the iMac — because I can use Apple Music’s equalizer to tailor the sound more precisely to my liking. The equalizer bests the anagram and Accommodation settings on the iPhone and iPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back