AirPods Max
Jan 15, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #2,491 of 5,629
I love the APM and I will keep them but I would never buy Apple Care for that issue. I told Apples technical support of the condensation problem and they said that there will be no damage through this. It is documented, so if there will be damage because of condensation Apple has to repair or change the APM.

I don't think that logic follows. Apple's specifically saying that condensation issues cannot cause water damage. So if they find an APM that has water damage, they'll claim it was caused by something more than condensation and thus that would void said warranty. Basically, if your liquid damage sensor (normally a piece of paper) is tripped, your warranty will be void. You can claim it was condensation, but they'll just come back and claim condensation can't cause said damage.

Granted if a lot of APM do end up water damaged with voided warranties, I can see a class action starting up, especially if said condensation caused the liquid damage sensor to trip.

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #2,492 of 5,629
IMG_0670.jpeg

More of a lurker than an active member, but I figured I'd write a few words on these.

I read the testimonials as they started to appear here about the APM and the comparisons. In the past I've had the Beyer Aventho, Grado SR225e, Meze Classic and Senn Momentum. After buying the AirPods Pro, a lot of those headphones started gathering dust, because the convenience of the APP was just too good. After hearing rumours of the over ear headphones, I was eagerly awaiting release, and the early impressions seemed really positive.

I must have got lucky with stock, as I refreshed a page on Argos (UK) and managed to go collect a pair the same day.

After spending just over a week with them, I must say, that they easily surpass headphones I've heard in the past, and that's somehow with wireless Bluetooth and AAC. I've never been one to delve too deep into the technicals, I'd rather just listen to gear that makes me nod my head and tap my feet, and these certainly do that and then some. Not being tethered to an amp or player means that I doubt I'll try any wired headphones for a while.

This is not much of a post, and I apologise, just wanted to say that I'm throughly enjoying them. As for the condensation issue, I have recognised some, and usually just stick them onto my stand in the photo after I've finished using them, sometimes in the strange handbag looking case. I suppose if they have any issues as a result, Apple will sort them out, similar to when my APP had issues and they simply sent me a new set.

Jan 15, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #2,493 of 5,629

More of a lurker than an active member, but I figured I'd write a few words on these.

I read the testimonials as they started to appear here about the APM and the comparisons. In the past I've had the Beyer Aventho, Grado SR225e, Meze Classic and Senn Momentum. After buying the AirPods Pro, a lot of those headphones started gathering dust, because the convenience of the APP was just too good. After hearing rumours of the over ear headphones, I was eagerly awaiting release, and the early impressions seemed really positive.

I must have got lucky with stock, as I refreshed a page on Argos (UK) and managed to go collect a pair the same day.

After spending just over a week with them, I must say, that they easily surpass headphones I've heard in the past, and that's somehow with wireless Bluetooth and AAC. I've never been one to delve too deep into the technicals, I'd rather just listen to gear that makes me nod my head and tap my feet, and these certainly do that and then some. Not being tethered to an amp or player means that I doubt I'll try any wired headphones for a while.

This is not much of a post, and I apologise, just wanted to say that I'm throughly enjoying them. As for the condensation issue, I have recognised some, and usually just stick them onto my stand in the photo after I've finished using them, sometimes in the strange handbag looking case. I suppose if they have any issues as a result, Apple will sort them out, similar to when my APP had issues and they simply sent me a new set.

Sweet stand AND a rabbit guardian? Those APMs are well cared for.

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #2,494 of 5,629
Hmm... here’s what I think is happening. When you turn off ANC, adaptive eq is also off. I think this does a bit to flatten the frequency response and might bring some of those upper middle back. With the upper mids back the treble sounds less pronounced right above that frequency. I guess it would depend on your fit how the sound changes without the computational changes that compensate for it.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #2,496 of 5,629
Ah! Thanks. But something must be changing for some people when adaptive eq is turned off. With ANC off, when you move the cups off the ear you can hear the change in frequency. And with anc on, moving them off your ear, they just get quieter. so the frequency response must be different for some depending on the fit. I’m operating on the edge of my perception here but I stand by my observation above.

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #2,497 of 5,629
Ah! Thanks. But something must be changing for some people when adaptive eq is turned off. With ANC off, when you move the cups off the ear you can hear the change in frequency. And with anc on, moving them off your ear, they just get quieter. so the frequency response must be different for some depending on the fit. I’m operating on the edge of my perception here but I stand by my observation above.

Adaptive EQ =/= Audiogram

I think you may be confusing different topics. The adaptive EQ is always measuring and adjusting for the active fit on your specific head at any given point in time (200 times per second).

If you don’t change the settings to balanced/bright/audiogram, they are adaptive EQ’ing to make sure the stock tuning is being presented to you at all times.

Hope that helps.

Jan 15, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #2,498 of 5,629
Adaptive EQ =/= Audiogram

I think you may be confusing different topics. The adaptive EQ is always measuring and adjusting for the active fit on your specific head at any given point in time (200 times per second).

If you don’t change the settings to balanced/bright/audiogram, they are adaptive EQ’ing to make sure the stock tuning is being presented to you at all times.

Hope that helps.

It would seem like I am, but i am pretty sure that with ANC off, the adaptive eq is also off, which is not really advertised. If so that is also how it works on APP - turn off ANC and it stops asking your ears how they hear.

Still curious if anyone hears any differences with ANC ON/off. For me it seems flatter off.

I‘m not using any hearing accommodations btw.

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #2,499 of 5,629
I’m not entertaining the idea of doing this myself. I would only like to see how can be done (by others).

I’m not sure what time it is in the video, but if you take off the magnetic ear pad, on the top of the housing there is a little pin hole. I’d assume that’s where they put the sim ejection tool. I haven’t tried it myself though.

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #2,501 of 5,629
It would seem like I am, but i am pretty sure that with ANC off, the adaptive eq is also off, which is not really advertised. If so that is also how it works on APP - turn off ANC and it stops asking your ears how they hear.

Still curious if anyone hears any differences with ANC ON/off. For me it seems flatter off.

I‘m not using any hearing accommodations btw.

I kind of hear it. If you're turning ANC off, remember to take them off (I don't know if the headphones will keep the Adaptive EQ on the last set one). It's a small gain, easier to hear in higher-pitched female vocals, but it's quite subtle.

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #2,502 of 5,629
But AFAIK Apple Care / warranty does not cover water damage, which would potentially result from the effects of condensation, anyway.

Wow, that's interesting. The thing that sucks about this is that it doesn't appear to be consistent so Apple may not own up to any issue. I would advise everyone who love the APM and want to keep them, to get Apple Care or some other warranty to be on the safe side. I know with Apple Care you have 60 days from the date of purchase to add it. I added mine just a couple of days ago when I started hearing about this issue.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #2,503 of 5,629
But AFAIK Apple Care / warranty does not cover water damage, which would potentially result from the effects of condensation, anyway.

Yup, you'd have to get AppleCare+ and pay accidental if your liquid damage sensor got tripped or pay for a refurbished unit.

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #2,504 of 5,629

Fwiw, Oratory seems to have gotten a different result...

https://headphonedatabase.com/oratory?ids=229,150,242,201,11

Why his results were different than Jude's, I dunno. :) But there clearly seems to be a difference on this diffuse field plot with ANC off (in red), and on (in blue).

APM1.jpg

APM2.jpg

Very nice lookin bass response on these btw, with the DSP features enabled. Though I haven't actually auditioned a pair yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back