AirPods Max
Dec 17, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #721 of 5,629
the standard lightning to female 3.5mm adapter they sell only has a DAC inside, not an ADC, and can't be used to feed audio to the APM.
The standard Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter has a mono ADC for the microphone. It's a standard TRRS connector with a microphone input. I tried plugging this into the AirPods Max but it wasn't detected at all - the Bluetooth connection remained active. I sent a line level signal on the microphone pin, but it still wouldn't take. The AirPods Max are actually detecting that the correct type of lightning cable is attached, rather than simple jack sensing.

The Lightning to 3.5mm Audio Cable must have a stereo ADC (assuming the headphones don't have a non-standard Lightning connector with analog input pins), and it can switch the same pins between ADC & DAC mode, unlike the other adapter.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #722 of 5,629
I think the original AirPods are still the #1 AirPods product in general, the only headphone/earphone I need in my life. I have them from the first day of releasing, and this is my third pair. I using this model (now the second generation) every single day, in different times of the day. The convenience, 150% comfort (you forgetting you're using it), the good mics for calls, the portability, is beautiful. And even when so many people saying they don't sounding good, they are in fact very decent in SQ, even for music. I returning the APP eventually, and yes, is very, very good, but the original AP is genius.

Interesting. My feelings on the original AirPods are 100% in the opposite direction. The lack of isolation and the poor fit make the originals terrible for me. They don’t even stay in my ears. The APP fixed all of that (plus the 2nd gen Comply tips are grippy and have better isolation to boot).

Dec 17, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #723 of 5,629
Interesting. My feelings on the original AirPods are 100% in the opposite direction. The lack of isolation and the poor fit make the originals terrible for me. They don’t even stay in my ears. The APP fixed all of that (plus the 2nd gen Comply tips are grippy and have better isolation to boot).

This is one very important aspect for me, I want the AP having no isolation because I want hearing my surroundings always when I using it. The fit isn't perfect for everybody, obviously, but Apple doing excellent research for the shape (initially in previous wired EarPods); before that, normal earbuds are terrible fit for me. The APP, even when isn't inserting deep in the ears, is having a completely different feeling from APs, with the APPs I'm still conscious of something in my ears. With AP, because they feeling like nothing, I forgetting and I'm falling asleep with it maybe 10 times in all this years. In public places, when I need awareness of surroundings, the AP is excellent tool. Everybody having different needs, and this is why I saying that for me the AP is a necessity not something I only liking very much.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #724 of 5,629
So how do they compare to conventional wired non-noise canceling headphones? Crinacle's 1st impressions stated that in regards to detail and resolution they are not any better than a 100-150 USD wired pair of headphones. Just curious. Not that I am planning to get a pair, I have no need for bluetooth and ANC, but it is nice to know if there are some significant steps made in technicalities and sound quality for a wireless ANC pair of headphones.

Dec 17, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #725 of 5,629
If APM owners with iOS devices want listening to (very) similar sound signature of the h95 factory sound, go and doing the Accessibility settings modification (Balanced Tone + Slight) that is mentioning in this thread several times.

Yes, please go into the Accessibility settings to get the desired color profile for your APMs. This is ridiculously important if you're going to be making comparisons.

Dec 17, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #726 of 5,629
So how do they compare to conventional wired non-noise canceling headphones? Crinacle's 1st impressions stated that in regards to detail and resolution they are not any better than a 100-150 USD wired pair of headphones. Just curious. Not that I am planning to get a pair, I have no need for bluetooth and ANC, but it is nice to know if there are some significant steps made in technicalities and sound quality for a wireless ANC pair of headphones.

I did a brief comparison a few pages back about listening to the APM and Oppo PM-3 back to back. I would put them roughly on the same level, each has their own strengths (and I wasn’t driving my PM-3 through an amp, that would be unfair). The APM is not quite as natural as the PM-3, but for some songs, they sound better, and you get the convenience factor and ANC. Just being in the same ballpark is a win for Apple, in my eyes.

Dec 17, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #727 of 5,629
I don’t know if others have addressed the latency (or lack thereof) with the cable. I can confirm there’s no noticeable latency when wired. I played my electric guitar through my amp while using the APM connected to it. I couldn’t hear any delay. So there’s that.

Dec 17, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #728 of 5,629
The standard Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter has a mono ADC for the microphone. It's a standard TRRS connector with a microphone input. I tried plugging this into the AirPods Max but it wasn't detected at all - the Bluetooth connection remained active. I sent a line level signal on the microphone pin, but it still wouldn't take. The AirPods Max are actually detecting that the correct type of lightning cable is attached, rather than simple jack sensing.

The Lightning to 3.5mm Audio Cable must have a stereo ADC (assuming the headphones don't have a non-standard Lightning connector with analog input pins), and it can switch the same pins between ADC & DAC mode, unlike the other adapter.

Ah yes, I forgot about the mic. I'm certain the lightning port on the APM is just a standard port because that cable can be used with an iPhone as a line output. That'd only be possible with a digital connection. They've already shown they can do a mono ADC, stereo DAC, headphone AMP, and lightning control chip in the tiny end of the 3.5mm headphone adapter, so not a stretch to think they could do a stereo ADC, stereo DAC, and lightning control chip in a tiny lightning connector. I'm sure someone will at some point break these open and wire them up to a standard 3.5mm or 4.4mm jack.... though I suspect they'll sound like crap, I have a feeling the internal electronics are doing a bunch of correction to make them sound good.

Dec 17, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #729 of 5,629
Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #730 of 5,629
Dec 17, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #731 of 5,629
I read somewhere (it was either Reddit or here, I can’t remember) that somebody left his APMs out of the case overnight and power drain was maybe 1-2%? Basically hardly worth a consideration. I don’t have a set to confirm, but perhaps this case talk is getting out of hand. I mean it’s still rubbish, but maybe leaving it out of the case isn’t as catastrophic as it sounds?

Also all this talk about wired usage haha. If anyone were to stick a wire into a pair of cans designed for wireless use I guess it’d be us.

Dec 17, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #732 of 5,629
I don’t know if others have addressed the latency (or lack thereof) with the cable. I can confirm there’s no noticeable latency when wired. I played my electric guitar through my amp while using the APM connected to it. I couldn’t hear any delay. So there’s that.

I just got in the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm Audio Cable today ($30 on Amazon) to test any difference re: wired vs. cable. I will test this out tomorrow morning as well and report back.

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #733 of 5,629
I did a brief comparison a few pages back about listening to the APM and Oppo PM-3 back to back. I would put them roughly on the same level, each has their own strengths (and I wasn’t driving my PM-3 through an amp, that would be unfair). The APM is not quite as natural as the PM-3, but for some songs, they sound better, and you get the convenience factor and ANC. Just being in the same ballpark is a win for Apple, in my eyes.
Why would it be unfair to amp them? The APM has a built in amp and dac. I think it would ONLY be fair to amp them. A PM3 with an inexpensive amp and dac is roughly the same price as the APM.

Dec 17, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #734 of 5,629
Yes, I think the 5.1+ Spatial Audio sounds really nice. And in general I like the sound a lot, it's fun but maybe a little tiring (or is that the ANC?). However, they hurt my head when I wear them for a while, and I feel weird microphonics in the pads in ANC/Transparency mode. I also can't really seem to find a great spot in my life for these (at this price), so I will stick with my 6XXs and Magni/Modi 2 stack for my desk/office and AP/APPs otherwise. The portability and "always on my body" nature of the AP/APP is tough to beat.

Great thread by the way. And I do think Apple will fill in their pricing gaps in the $200-400 range at some point in the future - hopefully a "sport" model. Not sure about a higher end though -- do we really need an AirPods Max Max? :wink:
Airpods Studio would actually make more sense, change the tuning and lessen the latency/ include the 3.5mm adapter.

Dec 17, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #735 of 5,629
Why would it be unfair to amp them? The APM has a built in amp and dac. I think it would ONLY be fair to amp them. A PM3 with an inexpensive amp and dac is roughly the same price as the APM.
The PM3 with a HA-2 amplifier is quite a bit more expensive than the APM, and that’s all dedicated audio gear. If that doesn’t sound better, there’s something wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back