AirPods Max
Dec 15, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #331 of 5,629
Apple has clearly aimed for a more high-end audio profile on these. Where the Sony XM3's and XM4's are very dense, v-shaped in-your-face/head kind of audio which tends to bring the lower frequencies into focus that tends to overshadow the mid's and high's the Apple AirPods Max tries the achieve the complete opposite. They try to offer a very wide soundstage, they try to sound very spacious with great clarity.

I prefer the Bose NC 700 over the Sony XM3's back in the day because I don't really enjoy v-shaped audio profile. I tend to prefer stereo separation and clarity over dense and deeper/darker sounding ones. The Apple AirPods Max are leaps above and beyond the Bose NC 700 in this regards as well but for me, these aren't really comparable to the Sony's as they differ so much in their sound profile so if you are one that tends to prefer a more dense and in your head sound profile you won't really enjoy the AirPods Max and if you are one that enjoys and prefer a wide soundstage with great separation and clarity there really is no contest here.

I haven't really tested the ANC as of yet so I can't really comment on its performance.

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #332 of 5,629
Honestly I wish Apple would develop an A/V receiver, something ultra-simple, that "just works," with Apple TV built-in and a minimum of useless other features. I hate the current market of not enough (soundbar systems) and too much (almost any A/V receiver sold today).
I agree. I need a pair of Surround sound headphones that sound great with movies. Hopefully, these are the ones. If these headphones serve that need, then all of the other stuff is icing on the cake.

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #333 of 5,629
Apple has clearly aimed for a more high-end audio profile on these. Where the Sony XM3's and XM4's are very dense, v-shaped in-your-face/head kind of audio which tends to bring the lower frequencies into focus that tends to overshadow the mid's and high's the Apple AirPods Max tries the achieve the complete opposite. They try to offer a very wide soundstage, they try to sound very spacious with great clarity.

I prefer the Bose NC 700 over the Sony XM3's back in the day because I don't really enjoy v-shaped audio profile. I tend to prefer stereo separation and clarity over dense and deeper/darker sounding ones. The Apple AirPods Max are leaps above and beyond the Bose NC 700 in this regards as well but for me, these aren't really comparable to the Sony's as they differ so much in their sound profile so if you are one that tends to prefer a more dense and in your head sound profile you won't really enjoy the AirPods Max and if you are one that enjoys and prefer a wide soundstage with great separation and clarity there really is no contest here.

I haven't really tested the ANC as of yet so I can't really comment on its performance.
This is the most useful review I've seen yet. I do prefer soundstage and clarity above all else. So, I might like these headphones. I am also not a fan of the v-shaped sound signature.

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #334 of 5,629
How are yall getting yours today? I thought people's order were delayed from late purchase? Did you guys just place an order as soon as it was announced? Are they available for pick-up in any places today?

I seen them popping up in stores near me. They get snatched up fast but keep coming back into stock after some hours. I am guessing the stores got multiple shipments.

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #335 of 5,629
The problem with the current crop of reviews is that they consider Sony and Bose high end.

I refuse to consider any plastic-bodied over-ear headphone anything but low-end. Years ago I bought a pair of plastic Sony Playstation headphones that began to disintegrate almost immediately. In the end they were held together with zip ties before I tossed them in disgust. I would never drop $300+ on plastic Bose, Sony, or Beats cans.

My Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless are beautifully crafted, but terribly uncomfortable on the crown of my head. Apple's headband design seems like the right idea: a Herman Miller Aeron chair for your skull.

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #336 of 5,629
I comparing the sound of the APM with my H95 and P7 wireless for about 2 hours.

The h95 is my favourite in different aspects, apart from sound quality that is offering a very close with flat/neutral sound. The user experience is definitely better too. The touch interface of the h95 is not like the xm3/xm4, bose 700, or other b&o headphones (I don't liking how is implemented in the 3 h9 models). In h95 is only for play/pause and next/previous track, and after 3 months of experience is working 99.99% perfectly AND super fast. I using this feature many, many more than normal users because I changing the tracks constantly, or repeat tracks or pause the music often. The people that don't knowing this feature in the h95 don't knowing how very excellent is.

The volume dial, very, very important aspect for me, is the best implementation of all the volume possibilities I trying before (including Surface 2 that using this dial first) in many, many headphones. And the construction quality is only comparable with other high end b&o headphones. The APM is coming only after this models in this aspect. You can folding h95 too, and this is better for travels/portability. And then you having 50 hours of battery life and a off/on button!

BUT the h95 is very, very expensive. So, for sound quality, the shure aonic 50 is my second option, but as complete package I choosing the APM definitely, even if more, more expensive (the aonic 50 having other things I don't liking that are important for me).

Probably too I choosing the APM sound than my p7 wireless, but in this case, only speaking of the sound quality, the p7 wireless sometimes is better here. But I think in general the APM is sounding more correct. And the APM is having anc and other features too, but the design of the p7 wireless is uniquely beautiful, and with fantastic construction too and better portability, and on/off button.

Is very possible (90% I think) I returning the APM that I receiving today in 2 or 3 days. BUT I want saying that I think the APM is a very, very good headphone. For me is better than xm3, xm4 and momentum 3 and many other headphones. In fact, if I'm a person that can't affording paying €800 but can paying €629, the APM is my definite option as complete package (not only for sq).

APM v1 today is excellent. APM v2 in 2 years or 3 will be definitely better in several aspects.

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #338 of 5,629
The lack of visible branding on these is an odd choice, especially for Apple. The large expanse of bare aluminum on the cups just looks odd. A small Apple logo would help break up the space.

I would personally find that supremely tacky :D.
Apple doesn't necessarily shove its logo everywhere it can. As long as the design is recognisable, they're happy.

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #339 of 5,629
So at this point it's established that Apple went for a wide sound stage and sparkly treble. Anyone able to speak to other technical capabilities? For me, I prefer headphones capable of accurate instrument positioning and separation. Is the sound stage just like a wide flatscreen? Or is it more like a stage play?

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #340 of 5,629
Well in 2020 I'm a little more demanding than that :D. I found it flabbergasting how mostly rubbish and poorly engineered or designed most of the current crop of 2020 ANC BT over-ears headphones were in comparison to the P7W, honestly in many regards it should be a walk in the park for Apple to do better.
One area for example where I'm expecting nothing less than way better than the P7W or most other ANC BT headphones is electronics noise floor / hiss / etc. in general. The APP are pretty great in that regard and I'd be disappointed if the APM is any worse.

Noise floor seems good to me. I have the Audeze Mobius also, and those have a very obvious noise floor in comparison. Even with ANC on, the background noise is vastly quieter than the Mobius headphones. I struggle to hear it to the point I am not sure if it's actually there or I am just imagining it.

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #341 of 5,629
The lack of visible branding on these is an odd choice, especially for Apple. The large expanse of bare aluminum on the cups just looks odd. A small Apple logo would help break up the space.
I don't think that anyone seeing someone wearing these will mistake them for something else. This is akin to the iMac when it first came out with translucent platstic. The only thing I really got out of most of the first set of YouTube reviews is that they look comfortable and sit relatively nicely on the ears.

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #342 of 5,629
The only thing I really got out of most of the first set of YouTube reviews is that they look comfortable and sit relatively nicely on the ears.
Agreed, still waiting for an experienced headphone reviewer (or anyone with extensive listening experience) to comment on technical performance, sound signature, etc.

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #343 of 5,629
I don't think that anyone seeing someone wearing these will mistake them for something else. This is akin to the iMac when it first came out with translucent platstic. The only thing I really got out of most of the first set of YouTube reviews is that they look comfortable and sit relatively nicely on the ears.

I'm not concerned that someone knows I am wearing Apple headphones. I just think the bare aluminum at that size looks odd. Maybe more like cheap hearing protection from Home Depot than a high-grade audio headphone. Or a white label Chinese product on Amazon sold under two dozen unintelligible brand names created with a random word generator.

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #344 of 5,629
Got mine today. Not even the same class as the Sony offerings, it's much, much better in every single way. Sound is great, feels on par to my ears to 'audiophile' wired headphones in or above the price point. More to come.
Grabbed a set at the local Apple store today. About three hours of assorted music and an hour of Greyhound movie. A little Dark Knight now. These are game changers for wireless and maybe even wired near or somewhat higher in price. ANC that really works. Good detail, nice bass, comfortable wearing, and superb easy to use controls. When received had 68% charge, two hours use dropped it to 60%, 15 or so minutes plugged in while being used brought it up to 90%. Received a 15 minute phone call and it was better than being in person with the ANC. Unbelievable clarity and zero interfering noise even with many activities in the room around me. These are game changers. Looking forward to my 3.5 to lightning arriving in two days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back